Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

x2thaz

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2012
I just bought a unlocked iphone 5 from the apple store and got a straight talk sim (AT&T). I had to cut down the sim and had to do the sim swap with a t-mobile sim card in order for the MMS and data to work which works fine and installed the settings from unlockit.co.nz. My problem is that my data is really slow like 569kbps download.

Is there a setting or something to make my data go faster?

Thanks

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
I just bought a unlocked iphone 5 from the apple store and got a straight talk sim (AT&T). I had to cut down the sim and had to do the sim swap with a t-mobile sim card in order for the MMS and data to work which works fine and installed the settings from unlockit.co.nz. My problem is that my data is really slow like 569kbps download.

Is there a setting or something to make my data go faster?

Thanks

Doesn't Straight Talk use T-Mobile's edge network? I thought when you have an unlocked AT&T iPhone 5, you can't use LTE plus I don't even think that T-Mobile has LTE yet. If I were you I'd try another prepaid carrier that can give you access to AT&T's LTE network for better data.

cutienoua

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2012
Doesn't Straight Talk use T-Mobile's edge network? I thought when you have an unlocked AT&T iPhone 5, you can't use LTE plus I don't even think that T-Mobile has LTE yet. If I were you I'd try another prepaid carrier that can give you access to AT&T's LTE network for better data.

he got att sim
have you tried several locations?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

I believe ST uses AT&T's towers.
If it was Tmobile most likelly he would get Edge data only and that wouldnt hit anywhere near 569kbps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.