Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
All of a sudden a few days ago, the camera shutter won't open on my 4S. I can look at my camera roll, but just can't open the shutter to take pics.

Tried:

1) Enabling the camera restriction to "on"
2) Closing the camera app via taskbar and reopening
3) Turning phone completely off on
4) Resetting phone (home+sleep until the Apple logo reappears)

The only thing I haven't done is done a full blown restore, because from what I've seen online it looks like 75% of the people who've had this problem ended up having the phone replaced since it appears as if it's a hardware problem and not a software problem.

Any idea if this is truly a hardware failure? I'm not sure what Apple would charge to replace the phone (no AppleCare) but I don't really care to pay a couple hundred bucks to replace a phone 3 months out of warranty since getting two years out of a phone these days seems like too much to ask I guess. Not really interested in replacing it with my full upgrade coming up in May and rumors of a summer 5S launch.

Hardware or software? If I can confirm it's hardware, I'd rather skip the hassle of restoring the phone.

tehgeekguy

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2009
Have you tried a different camera app? Probably wouldn't hurt to try. If it's a hardware issue, a third-party camera app shouldn't work either.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
this happened to my buddy with his iphone 4. you can try a full restore, but i doubt it will help. when i repaired his, i had a feeling it was purely a hardware issue. i purchased a new camera from ifixit and installed it. once booted up, the camera shutter opened and it worked perfectly fine.

do yourself a favor, dont cheap out and buy the $5 cameras off ebay or amazon like my friend did. they wont work well, and dont have autofocus. the OEM one from ifixit was $30 (for the 4) and worked perfectly, the first try.

Hawtin

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2012
I had the same issue with my 4. Weirdly, resetting network settings and a reboot solved the problem, but eventually I took it to an apple store and they replaced it there and then.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Took it in, they opened it up to see if the camera pins were in place, they were, they did a DFU restore, nothing.

$80 to replace the camera (yeah right) or $199 to replace the phone (yeah right).

So that makes Apple 2/2 in providing $500+ phones that have failed before two years. This phone has literally never even been placed on a hard surface, same as the other one.

Guess I'm without a camera for the next X months til the new phone comes out.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Took it in, they opened it up to see if the camera pins were in place, they were, they did a DFU restore, nothing.

$80 to replace the camera (yeah right) or $199 to replace the phone (yeah right).

So that makes Apple 2/2 in providing $500+ phones that have failed before two years. This phone has literally never even been placed on a hard surface, same as the other one.

http://www.ifixit.com/iPhone-Parts/iPhone-4S-Rear-Camera/IF115-006

$60 and 10 minutes of your time, like i said.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Tap the camera area while trying to take picture. This has helped others.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.

Based on the iFixit price quoted by puma1552, that represents $20 for labour costs. I'd consider that a good deal if you aren't prepared to DIY.

Before blaming Apple, don't forget that over time, even the most prestigious equipment can develop faults. What's more, they don't manufacture the cameras.

You're "without a camera for the next few months", just because the camera is inoperative? :confused:

jamaggic

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2009
SC, thank God
my daughters iphone4 was doing the same thing, shutter would not open,, tried all of the usual tricks but nothing worked. Checked available storage and found she had less than 500 mgb,,, removed half of her songs and pics, restarted the phone and shutter works fine

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Tap the camera area while trying to take picture. This has helped others.

Thanks but no dice.

Based on the iFixit price quoted by puma1552, that represents $20 for labour costs. I'd consider that a good deal if you aren't prepared to DIY.

Agreed. With the tools and shipping it would totally make sense to have Apple do it but I'm not spending that kind of money with the new phone a few months away.

John T. said:
You're "without a camera for the next few months", just because the camera is inoperative? :confused:

Unless I want to be that guy with the iPad...yeah the 4S is my only camera, not sure what's confusing about that concept...

$10 and 20min to replace the camera...been there, done that on many phones. Very small price to pay to get fixed up.

Not for genuine Apple parts, I won't use cheap aftermarket parts.

my daughters iphone4 was doing the same thing, shutter would not open,, tried all of the usual tricks but nothing worked. Checked available storage and found she had less than 500 mgb,,, removed half of her songs and pics, restarted the phone and shutter works fine

Thanks but no dice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.