Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:36 PM   #1
daechi
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
ios -- Filing System

Bought an iphone 5 and realized this thing has no filing system. Is this thing made for children? The UI is also not that great to push this closed system. In fact most of Apple's software like iTunes 11 has been turning to garbage recently.

32 gigs but no filing system. What the hell are they thinking?
daechi is offline   0
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:38 PM   #2
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
What do you mean when you say "filing system"?
And what are you trying to do that the phone currently cannot do?
Applejuiced is offline   2
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:59 PM   #3
daechi
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
really? You don't know what I mean by a filing system? Transferring, copying, naming documents and files and putting them in a hierarchy of folders.

Yeah, there are workarounds to this, but the fact that marks (me included) are paying this amount of money for these mind numbing workarounds shows how fast and hard Apple will soon fall.
daechi is offline   0
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:04 PM   #4
macingman
macrumors 68020
 
macingman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by daechi View Post
really? You don't know what I mean by a filing system? Transferring, copying, naming documents and files and putting them in a hierarchy of folders.

Yeah, there are workarounds to this, but the fact that marks (me included) are paying this amount of money for these mind numbing workarounds shows how fast and hard Apple will soon fall.
The iPhone having no file system is one of the features. The iOS ecosystem is built around apps not a file system.

If you want a file system go to android.

And I'm not even going up address the part about apple "falling" because it's so ludicrous.

Last edited by OllyW; Jan 20, 2013 at 03:36 AM. Reason: name calling
macingman is offline   3
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:04 AM   #5
lelisa13p
macrumors 68000
 
lelisa13p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA USA
Don't blame the product because you didn't do your homework. Do you buy a new car and then blame the manufacturer because it didn't have all of the options that you want?

Don't buy it.
__________________
Experience is what you get when you thought you were getting something else.
lelisa13p is offline   3
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:11 AM   #6
daechi
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
I've been using apple products since IIe. One of apple's strongest quality has always been their GUI based on their intuitive but elegant filing system. This ios ecosystem is for trolls who bought into a marketing hivemind.

And since they hit payday with the iphone all their other software has been turning into garbage to appease the mob who praise them. Before they fixed their bugs and improved their products. Now, not so much. I guess you do have to go to the lowest common denominator to make the make masses happy.
daechi is offline   0
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:14 AM   #7
Small White Car
macrumors G4
 
Small White Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Washington DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by daechi View Post
but the fact that marks (me included) are paying this amount of money...
Is "mark" the new name for people who spend hundreds of dollars on something without doing any amount of research whatsoever?


Quote:
Originally Posted by daechi View Post
One of apple's strongest quality has always been their GUI based on their intuitive but elegant filing system.
I'll be the first to tell you that iOS needs help in this area, but if you're wishing for "Mac-like" you might as well give up now. The Windows/Mac file system was the single biggest mistake the tech-world foisted on the public over the last 30 years. Smart phones aren't perfect yet, but at least they're trying to fix that mistake. If your solution is to just go backwards, I'm happy to say you won't find what you're looking for in the future.
Small White Car is offline   1
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:17 AM   #8
blueroom
macrumors 603
 
blueroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Odd the posters first post in 2007 was this. How was the iPhone a surprise?

Quote:
Don't believe a lot of posters claiming to have bought Iphones and then describing how they are unhappy about the product because of either functions that are lacking (which are just reiterations of functions that were clearly stated before the Iphone went on sale) or getting two, three defective phones in a row.

I have a friend who hates Apple and spends a lot of time campaigning against Iphones on various boards under aliases. I personally think he's funny but as a long time Apple user it is a little annoying.

Don't trust newbies signing up just to make a thread about how they are returning the iphone. I don't possess an iphone since I am living abroad in Korea, but I have been following its news and developments. I don't really care either way since it will not be availabel here until next year, but I think its strange that so many people hate Apple so much as to devote their time to slandering the company and its products.

Anyway, I enjoy this forum and like to share the excitement a lot of you have over your new iphones. Don't let obvious haters ruin your experience.
__________________
My iOS devices are not jailbroken.
Bill
My Blog
blueroom is offline   2
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:19 AM   #9
lelisa13p
macrumors 68000
 
lelisa13p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
Odd the posters first post in 2007 was this. How was the iPhone a surprise?
FTW. \o/

WTF happened to the OP since then?
__________________
Experience is what you get when you thought you were getting something else.
lelisa13p is offline   0
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:22 AM   #10
daechi
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
Odd the posters first post in 2007 was this. How was the iPhone a surprise?
Yes I bought my first Iphone 5 one month ago. Instead of staying on topic, you have to slander people. Pathetic. I remember when mac boards were filled with open minded ppl who critiqued apple products and help the company improve.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelisa13p View Post
FTW. \o/
Before you go around calling ppl a liar because you are on an anonymous board why don't you look at my post history.
daechi is offline   0
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:22 AM   #11
blueroom
macrumors 603
 
blueroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by daechi View Post
Yes I bought my first Iphone 5 one month ago. Instead of staying on topic, you have to slander people. Pathetic. I remember when mac boards were filled with open minded ppl who critiqued apple products and help the company improve.
What slander? it's your posting. No iOS has had a filing system ever, millions of happy users later it still doesn't.

Do you have a specific need to put a file on it that iTunes won't transfer? Try DropBox or GoodReader.

Thought you didn't like the iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by daechi View Post
I can't believe they designed that longer thing. Worst design by Apple in a long time.

They better get the SIII off the market.
__________________
My iOS devices are not jailbroken.
Bill
My Blog
blueroom is offline   0
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:23 AM   #12
lelisa13p
macrumors 68000
 
lelisa13p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA USA
You're missing the point. We like our iPhones. Sucks that you don't.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by daechi View Post
Yes I bought my first Iphone 5 one month ago. Instead of staying on topic, you have to slander people. Pathetic. I remember when mac boards were filled with open minded ppl who critiqued apple products and help the company improve.

----------



Before you go around calling ppl a liar because you are on an anonymous board why don't you look at my post history.
I did not call you a liar.

I do wonder why you didn't take your own advice from your old post.
__________________
Experience is what you get when you thought you were getting something else.
lelisa13p is offline   0
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:33 AM   #13
daechi
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
What slander? it's your posting. No iOS has had a filing system ever, millions of happy users later it still doesn't.

Do you have a specific need to put a file on it that iTunes won't transfer? Try DropBox or GoodReader.

Thought you didn't like the iPhone 5
I bought the iphone 5 with reservations because my whole computing ecosystem is mac based.

I assumed it had a filing system. I am seriously shocked that it doesn't. Apple is taking this closed ecosystem way too far. It's going to bite them ass very soon.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelisa13p View Post
You're missing the point. We like our iPhones. Sucks that you don't.

----------



I did not call you a liar.

I do wonder why you didn't take your own advice from your old post.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. But a person's thoughts can evolve over six years especially at a company thats changed so much. Apple now reminds me of Windows in the 90s. Just look at itunes 11. It looks nice but the UI is complete garbage, like a windows product. I can't believe what is happening with Apple. It makes me sad, because I've used their products for over thirty years.
daechi is offline   0
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:33 AM   #14
blueroom
macrumors 603
 
blueroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by daechi View Post
I bought the iphone 5 with reservations because my whole computing ecosystem is mac based.

I assumed it had a filing system. I am seriously shocked that it doesn't. Apple is taking this closed ecosystem way too far. It's going to bite them ass very soon.
Actually Apple seems just fine with the sandbox. What exactly do you need with a file system on your phone?

You can always return your iPhone.

PS what's really going to bug you is the video codecs it supports.
__________________
My iOS devices are not jailbroken.
Bill
My Blog
blueroom is offline   0
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:33 AM   #15
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603
 
nuckinfutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Middle Earth
The problem is the filesystem is hampering our abilities to move forward with the next generation of file management.

File Systems are a carry over from the old file cabinet. They made sense when much of the data we were using was in a solid tangible form. With computers data is simply digital and arbitrary containers like "folders" are more limiting.

With the ability to append robust metadata to digital data comes the incredible gains in processing and organization without the limitations of aping real world items with a hierarchical file system.

If we want computing to progress we have to reduce our need for such antiquated systems.
nuckinfutz is offline   3
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:35 AM   #16
lelisa13p
macrumors 68000
 
lelisa13p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by daechi View Post
I bought the iphone 5 with reservations because my whole computing ecosystem is mac based.

I assumed it had a filing system. I am seriously shocked that it doesn't. Apple is taking this closed ecosystem way too far. It's going to bite them ass very soon.
Seriously? I've used PCs for decades but I wouldn't buy a Windows phone for love or money. Blindly putting all of your eggs in one basket isn't generally a good idea.

Return the iPhone. You have that right. You obviously want something different.

And regarding iTunes 11, I didn't upgrade because I didn't want to use the new version; I did my homework.
__________________
Experience is what you get when you thought you were getting something else.
lelisa13p is offline   0
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:38 AM   #17
VTECaddict
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
iOS devices have been out for 6 years. You're telling us you've never even played with one of them long enough in 6 years time to find out it doesn't have a file manager and that you dont like the UI?

You're trying to say Apple will fail with the closed ecosystem? I guess the large and growing success year after year, with some of the best customer satisfaction and retention in the industry doesn't mean a thing.

Just return it and get an Android. The GS3 is a nice phone. You don't need an iPhone because you have a Mac. Android works fine with Mac. Just as long as you're not trying to sync with iTunes media or iCloud, but you dont use iTunes anyways because the software is garbage, right?

Oh wait, you bought it a month ago? Well I guess you liked it enough to keep it past the return period...
VTECaddict is offline   0
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:31 AM   #18
Giuly
macrumors 68040
 
Giuly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
Why don't you rephrase your question in a way so that we can assist you with the stuff you intend to do? "Documents" is a rather broad field, because that sounds like QuickOffice Pro or iWork would resolve your issues, as both gracefully accept file transfers to their respective file systems via iTunes. Other "Documents" may require different apps, though.
Giuly is offline   0
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:41 AM   #19
WeegieMac
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Glasgow, UK
Give me a real time, meaningful, useful situation where a file structure is required when using an iPhone.
WeegieMac is offline   0
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:03 AM   #20
matttye
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lincoln, England
Steve jobs had this to say about file systems:

"in every user interface study we’ve ever done […], [we found] it’s pretty easy to learn how to use these things ‘til you hit the file system and then the learning curve goes vertical. So you ask yourself, why is the file system the face of the OS? Wouldn’t it be better if there was a better way to find stuff?
Now, e-mail, there’s always been a better way to find stuff. You don’t keep your e-mail on your file system, right? The app manages it. And that was the breakthrough, as an example, in iTunes. You don’t keep your music in the file system, that would be crazy. You keep it in this app that knows about music and knows how to find things in lots of different ways. Same with photos: we’ve got an app that knows all about photos. And these apps manage their own file storage. […]
And eventually, the file system management is just gonna be an app for pros and consumers aren’t gonna need to use it."

I don't think Apple will expose the file system any time soon.

What I do think they need to do is implement a way where apps can expose files that can be shared so, for example, when you tap attach in an email, it would open a list of apps that are capable of sharing their files.
__________________
iPad 2 16GB Black (WiFi+3G) -- iPhone 5s 64GB Space Grey.
matttye is online now   0
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:38 AM   #21
Zcott
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Belfast, Ireland
At last, some good arguments in favour of doing away with the file system. For years I thought I was the only one who supported dropping the file system.

It's the future of computing.
Zcott is offline   1


Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My ios app rebooting the system ios 7 florind iPhone/iPad Programming 6 Apr 5, 2014 12:55 PM
iOS 7 mail app - filing messages bustermac iOS 7 2 Jun 23, 2013 06:28 PM
Windows-like filing system for photos instead of iPhoto??? bludragon06 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 5 Nov 27, 2012 09:20 PM
Filing from macmail blaningle Mac Basics and Help 4 Sep 17, 2012 09:46 AM
iOS File System - Way Forward fabian9 iOS 5 and earlier 9 Jun 6, 2012 03:33 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:23 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC