Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:36 PM   #1
daechi
macrumors member

ios -- Filing System

Bought an iphone 5 and realized this thing has no filing system. Is this thing made for children? The UI is also not that great to push this closed system. In fact most of Apple's software like iTunes 11 has been turning to garbage recently.

32 gigs but no filing system. What the hell are they thinking?
daechi is offline   0
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:38 PM   #2
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

What do you mean when you say "filing system"?
And what are you trying to do that the phone currently cannot do?
Applejuiced is offline   2
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:59 PM   #3
daechi
macrumors member

really? You don't know what I mean by a filing system? Transferring, copying, naming documents and files and putting them in a hierarchy of folders.

Yeah, there are workarounds to this, but the fact that marks (me included) are paying this amount of money for these mind numbing workarounds shows how fast and hard Apple will soon fall.
daechi is offline   0
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:04 PM   #4
macingman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by daechi View Post
really? You don't know what I mean by a filing system? Transferring, copying, naming documents and files and putting them in a hierarchy of folders.

Yeah, there are workarounds to this, but the fact that marks (me included) are paying this amount of money for these mind numbing workarounds shows how fast and hard Apple will soon fall.
The iPhone having no file system is one of the features. The iOS ecosystem is built around apps not a file system.

If you want a file system go to android.

And I'm not even going up address the part about apple "falling" because it's so ludicrous.

Last edited by OllyW; Jan 20, 2013 at 03:36 AM. Reason: name calling
macingman is offline   3
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:04 AM   #5
lelisa13p
macrumors 68000

Don't blame the product because you didn't do your homework. Do you buy a new car and then blame the manufacturer because it didn't have all of the options that you want?

Don't buy it.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:11 AM   #6
daechi
macrumors member

I've been using apple products since IIe. One of apple's strongest quality has always been their GUI based on their intuitive but elegant filing system. This ios ecosystem is for trolls who bought into a marketing hivemind.

And since they hit payday with the iphone all their other software has been turning into garbage to appease the mob who praise them. Before they fixed their bugs and improved their products. Now, not so much. I guess you do have to go to the lowest common denominator to make the make masses happy.
daechi is offline   0
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:14 AM   #7
Small White Car
macrumors G4

Quote:
but the fact that marks (me included) are paying this amount of money...
Is "mark" the new name for people who spend hundreds of dollars on something without doing any amount of research whatsoever?

Quote:
One of apple's strongest quality has always been their GUI based on their intuitive but elegant filing system.
I'll be the first to tell you that iOS needs help in this area, but if you're wishing for "Mac-like" you might as well give up now. The Windows/Mac file system was the single biggest mistake the tech-world foisted on the public over the last 30 years. Smart phones aren't perfect yet, but at least they're trying to fix that mistake. If your solution is to just go backwards, I'm happy to say you won't find what you're looking for in the future.
Small White Car is offline   1
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:17 AM   #8
blueroom
macrumors 603

Odd the posters first post in 2007 was this. How was the iPhone a surprise?

Quote:
Don't believe a lot of posters claiming to have bought Iphones and then describing how they are unhappy about the product because of either functions that are lacking (which are just reiterations of functions that were clearly stated before the Iphone went on sale) or getting two, three defective phones in a row.

I have a friend who hates Apple and spends a lot of time campaigning against Iphones on various boards under aliases. I personally think he's funny but as a long time Apple user it is a little annoying.

Don't trust newbies signing up just to make a thread about how they are returning the iphone. I don't possess an iphone since I am living abroad in Korea, but I have been following its news and developments. I don't really care either way since it will not be availabel here until next year, but I think its strange that so many people hate Apple so much as to devote their time to slandering the company and its products.

Anyway, I enjoy this forum and like to share the excitement a lot of you have over your new iphones. Don't let obvious haters ruin your experience.
blueroom is offline   2
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:19 AM   #9
lelisa13p
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
FTW. \o/

WTF happened to the OP since then?
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:22 AM   #10
daechi
macrumors member

Quote:
Yes I bought my first Iphone 5 one month ago. Instead of staying on topic, you have to slander people. Pathetic. I remember when mac boards were filled with open minded ppl who critiqued apple products and help the company improve.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelisa13p View Post
FTW. \o/
Before you go around calling ppl a liar because you are on an anonymous board why don't you look at my post history.
daechi is offline   0
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:22 AM   #11
blueroom
macrumors 603

Quote:
Yes I bought my first Iphone 5 one month ago. Instead of staying on topic, you have to slander people. Pathetic. I remember when mac boards were filled with open minded ppl who critiqued apple products and help the company improve.
What slander? it's your posting. No iOS has had a filing system ever, millions of happy users later it still doesn't.

Do you have a specific need to put a file on it that iTunes won't transfer? Try DropBox or GoodReader.

Thought you didn't like the iPhone 5
Quote:
I can't believe they designed that longer thing. Worst design by Apple in a long time.

They better get the SIII off the market.
blueroom is offline   0
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:23 AM   #12
lelisa13p
macrumors 68000

You're missing the point. We like our iPhones. Sucks that you don't.

----------

Quote:

----------

Before you go around calling ppl a liar because you are on an anonymous board why don't you look at my post history.
I did not call you a liar.

I do wonder why you didn't take your own advice from your old post.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:33 AM   #13
daechi
macrumors member

Quote:
What slander? it's your posting. No iOS has had a filing system ever, millions of happy users later it still doesn't.

Do you have a specific need to put a file on it that iTunes won't transfer? Try DropBox or GoodReader.

Thought you didn't like the iPhone 5
I bought the iphone 5 with reservations because my whole computing ecosystem is mac based.

I assumed it had a filing system. I am seriously shocked that it doesn't. Apple is taking this closed ecosystem way too far. It's going to bite them ass very soon.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelisa13p View Post
You're missing the point. We like our iPhones. Sucks that you don't.

----------

I did not call you a liar.

I do wonder why you didn't take your own advice from your old post.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. But a person's thoughts can evolve over six years especially at a company thats changed so much. Apple now reminds me of Windows in the 90s. Just look at itunes 11. It looks nice but the UI is complete garbage, like a windows product. I can't believe what is happening with Apple. It makes me sad, because I've used their products for over thirty years.
daechi is offline   0
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:33 AM   #14
blueroom
macrumors 603

Quote:
I bought the iphone 5 with reservations because my whole computing ecosystem is mac based.

I assumed it had a filing system. I am seriously shocked that it doesn't. Apple is taking this closed ecosystem way too far. It's going to bite them ass very soon.
Actually Apple seems just fine with the sandbox. What exactly do you need with a file system on your phone?

You can always return your iPhone.

PS what's really going to bug you is the video codecs it supports.
blueroom is offline   0
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:33 AM   #15
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

The problem is the filesystem is hampering our abilities to move forward with the next generation of file management.

File Systems are a carry over from the old file cabinet. They made sense when much of the data we were using was in a solid tangible form. With computers data is simply digital and arbitrary containers like "folders" are more limiting.

With the ability to append robust metadata to digital data comes the incredible gains in processing and organization without the limitations of aping real world items with a hierarchical file system.

If we want computing to progress we have to reduce our need for such antiquated systems.
nuckinfutz is offline   3
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:35 AM   #16
lelisa13p
macrumors 68000

Quote:

Seriously? I've used PCs for decades but I wouldn't buy a Windows phone for love or money. Blindly putting all of your eggs in one basket isn't generally a good idea.

Return the iPhone. You have that right. You obviously want something different.

And regarding iTunes 11, I didn't upgrade because I didn't want to use the new version; I did my homework.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:38 AM   #17
VTECaddict
macrumors 6502

iOS devices have been out for 6 years. You're telling us you've never even played with one of them long enough in 6 years time to find out it doesn't have a file manager and that you dont like the UI?

You're trying to say Apple will fail with the closed ecosystem? I guess the large and growing success year after year, with some of the best customer satisfaction and retention in the industry doesn't mean a thing.

Just return it and get an Android. The GS3 is a nice phone. You don't need an iPhone because you have a Mac. Android works fine with Mac. Just as long as you're not trying to sync with iTunes media or iCloud, but you dont use iTunes anyways because the software is garbage, right?

Oh wait, you bought it a month ago? Well I guess you liked it enough to keep it past the return period...
VTECaddict is offline   0
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:31 AM   #18
Giuly
macrumors 68040

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
Why don't you rephrase your question in a way so that we can assist you with the stuff you intend to do? "Documents" is a rather broad field, because that sounds like QuickOffice Pro or iWork would resolve your issues, as both gracefully accept file transfers to their respective file systems via iTunes. Other "Documents" may require different apps, though.
Giuly is offline   0
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:41 AM   #19
WeegieMac

Give me a real time, meaningful, useful situation where a file structure is required when using an iPhone.
WeegieMac is offline   0
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:03 AM   #20
matttye
macrumors 601

Steve jobs had this to say about file systems:

"in every user interface study we’ve ever done […], [we found] it’s pretty easy to learn how to use these things ‘til you hit the file system and then the learning curve goes vertical. So you ask yourself, why is the file system the face of the OS? Wouldn’t it be better if there was a better way to find stuff?
Now, e-mail, there’s always been a better way to find stuff. You don’t keep your e-mail on your file system, right? The app manages it. And that was the breakthrough, as an example, in iTunes. You don’t keep your music in the file system, that would be crazy. You keep it in this app that knows about music and knows how to find things in lots of different ways. Same with photos: we’ve got an app that knows all about photos. And these apps manage their own file storage. […]
And eventually, the file system management is just gonna be an app for pros and consumers aren’t gonna need to use it."

I don't think Apple will expose the file system any time soon.

What I do think they need to do is implement a way where apps can expose files that can be shared so, for example, when you tap attach in an email, it would open a list of apps that are capable of sharing their files.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:38 AM   #21
Zcott
macrumors 68020

At last, some good arguments in favour of doing away with the file system. For years I thought I was the only one who supported dropping the file system.

It's the future of computing.
Zcott is offline   1

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland