Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:47 AM   #1
pmontanarella
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Do I really need the iPad?

Hi everyone,

I've owned an iPad since it launched back in 2010, and last april i upgraded my original iPad with the "New iPad". In the last few months however, I've been questioning whether I really need it anymore. I mostly use it to read, and some occasional gaming. Whenever I travel, I find myself carrying my MacBook with me as well because my needs can't be met with the iPad itself. I was wondering if you guys think it would be better for me to sell my iPad (I already have a potential buyer) and just buy a kindle for reading. Is there anyone that has done something like this? Any regrets?

Thanks,
Pietro
__________________
"Entrepreneurship is living a few years of your life like most people won't, so that you can spend the rest of your life like most people can't."
pmontanarella is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:54 AM   #2
LS3 Machine
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Ipad

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmontanarella View Post
Hi everyone,

I've owned an iPad since it launched back in 2010, and last april i upgraded my original iPad with the "New iPad". In the last few months however, I've been questioning whether I really need it anymore. I mostly use it to read, and some occasional gaming. Whenever I travel, I find myself carrying my MacBook with me as well because my needs can't be met with the iPad itself. I was wondering if you guys think it would be better for me to sell my iPad (I already have a potential buyer) and just buy a kindle for reading. Is there anyone that has done something like this? Any regrets?

Thanks,
Pietro
We need more information:

Do you use the Ipad as a hotspot?

Do you read magazines on it?

Do you have a smartphone that you use for email or hot spotting?

You really just have to look at what YOU use it for, and decide if you can do without the Ipad, and get by with the other devices you have.

I travel a lot, and I get a lot of down-time, so I need all the toys.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide, and why.

Last edited by LS3 Machine; Jan 31, 2013 at 03:56 AM. Reason: typo
LS3 Machine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:59 AM   #3
pmontanarella
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Thanks for the quick response. I think I might just not use it and whenever I am about to grab it ask myself what for and if I can do without it.

I will let you know my final decision.

Thanks,
Pietro
__________________
"Entrepreneurship is living a few years of your life like most people won't, so that you can spend the rest of your life like most people can't."
pmontanarella is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:10 AM   #4
pommie82
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: uk
Well i always say if you are using something then it worth the money if are aren't using the product then its a complete waste of money and you should sell it and get some money back for it at the end of the day if its doing nothing then you are losing money.I only keep things now that i use anything else i either throw away or sell and get some money back from and use the money for something else.Myself i have iPad mini & iPad 9'7 inch version and i use both daily for different things i use the 9'7 inch to watch media on and use the iPad mini for everything else if it comes a time that i wont be using one of them i would sell one of them straight away and get some money back for the product
At the end of the day its your money and you should make your money work for you and not keep it idle
pommie82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:46 AM   #5
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
The kindle (I'm assuming not the kindle fire) is an exceptional tablet for reading. That is the e-ink make reading a breeze. With the paperwhite version you can even easily read in low light conditions.

With that said, I 'd have a hard time spending over hundred dollars on a kindle because it does only one thing (one thing well however). I spent a little more and got a iPad mini.

In your case, for a hundred dollars more you can get a Nexus 7 or a Kindle Fire and get full tablet experience.
__________________
~Mike Flynn
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:58 AM   #6
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God
 
MacRumorUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmontanarella View Post
Hi everyone,

I've owned an iPad since it launched back in 2010, and last april i upgraded my original iPad with the "New iPad". In the last few months however, I've been questioning whether I really need it anymore. I mostly use it to read, and some occasional gaming. Whenever I travel, I find myself carrying my MacBook with me as well because my needs can't be met with the iPad itself. I was wondering if you guys think it would be better for me to sell my iPad (I already have a potential buyer) and just buy a kindle for reading. Is there anyone that has done something like this? Any regrets?

Thanks,
Pietro

Only you know how you utilise a device. If you think you aren't using it in any meaningful way, and would prefer or feel happy with another solution then do so. But asking totally random strangers without any knowledge of you or your usage or any reason to care one way or the other, it's just utterly moribund.
__________________
A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.
MacRumor:User
Microsoft MVP : Macintosh
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:58 AM   #7
thetruth1985
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmontanarella View Post
Hi everyone,

I've owned an iPad since it launched back in 2010, and last april i upgraded my original iPad with the "New iPad". In the last few months however, I've been questioning whether I really need it anymore. I mostly use it to read, and some occasional gaming. Whenever I travel, I find myself carrying my MacBook with me as well because my needs can't be met with the iPad itself. I was wondering if you guys think it would be better for me to sell my iPad (I already have a potential buyer) and just buy a kindle for reading. Is there anyone that has done something like this? Any regrets?

Thanks,
Pietro
To answer your original question, I don't think anyone needs an iPad because it's a luxury. With that being said, the Kindle is much more superior when it comes to reading. I have the paperwhite and I experience zero eye strain when using it. Also, when you buy a Kindle, you will get access to the Lending library where you can rent 1 book per month. If you only use your Ipad for reading books, then it's not being used to it's potential and you are better off selling it while the value is still high.
thetruth1985 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:06 AM   #8
jenny02
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmontanarella View Post
Hi everyone,

I've owned an iPad since it launched back in 2010, and last april i upgraded my original iPad with the "New iPad". In the last few months however, I've been questioning whether I really need it anymore. I mostly use it to read, and some occasional gaming. Whenever I travel, I find myself carrying my MacBook with me as well because my needs can't be met with the iPad itself. I was wondering if you guys think it would be better for me to sell my iPad (I already have a potential buyer) and just buy a kindle for reading. Is there anyone that has done something like this? Any regrets?

Thanks,
Pietro


I know what you mean. I have an ipad and use it also to play and read. An ipad is not enough.An ipad is just luxury. if you dontt really need, then I would sell it. Just depends on your needs
Greets.
jenny02 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:42 AM   #9
RenoG
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
No one NEEDS an electronic device of any sorts. (well unless it connected to your heart)

Do you really have a use for an iPad, would be the better question.
RenoG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:55 AM   #10
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoG View Post
No one NEEDS an electronic device of any sorts. (well unless it connected to your heart).
I would argue that you need at least one computer whether its a PC, smartphone or tablet.
__________________
64 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store
darngooddesign is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:13 AM   #11
nightlong
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Whether an iPad is a luxury depends on what you do with it. Some people think that just because they have little use for an iPad no one else would either. I use both my iPads for work and for many other things that don't make money but are important to my lifestyle.

I can understand someone who has never used an iPad asking this question, but if you've had one for 2 years and you don't know yet whether you need it ....???
__________________
Late 2013 13" MBPr 8/256, 2007 iMac 4GB, iPod classic. iPhone5 white 32.iPad4 white 64/LTE, iPad Air 32GB wifi white.
nightlong is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:24 AM   #12
takeshi74
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmontanarella View Post
I was wondering if you guys think it would be better for me to sell my iPad (I already have a potential buyer) and just buy a kindle for reading. Is there anyone that has done something like this? Any regrets?
Even if someone has your best bet is to try the Kindle and see if it suits you better. Preference varies quite a bit from person to person and it's impossible to tell if you'd be happier with the Kindle or the iPad based solely on your posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
I would argue that you need at least one computer whether its a PC, smartphone or tablet.
It's not a basic need but that's clearly not what the OP is asking. Unfortunately, the OP really doesn't provide enough information for us to even make a reasonable attempt at a recommendation. It's not just a matter of need but a matter of preference as well.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:32 AM   #13
RenoG
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
I would argue that you need at least one computer whether its a PC, smartphone or tablet.
Again I would only call it a useful tool and still not a neccessity.
Their are currently millions of people around the globe that are without said devices who get along in life just fine without them. Heck remember life not to long ago in 80's and early 90's, we were just fine....
RenoG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:51 AM   #14
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoG View Post
Again I would only call it a useful tool and still not a neccessity.
Their are currently millions of people around the globe that are without said devices who get along in life just fine without them. Heck remember life not to long ago in 80's and early 90's, we were just fine....
Life went on before the written language, but would you say that people don't know how to write? While you don't technically don't need one, you will be at a disadvantage not having one of your own.
__________________
64 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store
darngooddesign is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:56 AM   #15
nightlong
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
We got along without anaesthetic, dental care, sanitation and suchlike too, but now that those things exist we prefer not to get along without them.
__________________
Late 2013 13" MBPr 8/256, 2007 iMac 4GB, iPod classic. iPhone5 white 32.iPad4 white 64/LTE, iPad Air 32GB wifi white.
nightlong is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:14 AM   #16
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlong View Post
We got along without anaesthetic, dental care, sanitation and suchlike too, but now that those things exist we prefer not to get along without them.
People got along fine without cars too. You don't need a car and could set your life up so you don't need one.
__________________
64 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store
darngooddesign is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:17 AM   #17
RenoG
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
Life went on before the written language, but would you say that people don't know how to write? While you don't technically don't need one, you will be at a disadvantage not having one of your own.
My point is, you wont croke over and die the moment its not avaliable to you.
I personally know people who do not have a single computing device. Although they lack certain convenient advantages to get some basic things done, their overal lifestyle isn't severly compromised. Its the equivalent of not having a car..
RenoG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:22 AM   #18
jona2d
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth1985 View Post
...Also, when you buy a Kindle, you will get access to the Lending library where you can rent 1 book per month....
It should be noted, you only get access to the Lending Library IF you are also subscribed to Amazon Prime.

If you do not have Amazon Prime, then no dice on the Lending Library.

See: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000739811

Last edited by jona2d; Jan 31, 2013 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Added amazon link showing the Prime Membership requirement
jona2d is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:38 AM   #19
AZREOSpecialist
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Nobody needs an iPad. Remember that.
__________________
2009 Mac Pro Quad Xeon W3580 @ 3.3 GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB RAID 5/RocketRAID 4320, Corsair P256 SSD Boot Drive, EVGA GTX-285
2012 MacBook Pro Retina 2.6 GHz, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD
AZREOSpecialist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:23 PM   #20
nightlong
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
People got along fine without cars too. You don't need a car and could set your life up so you don't need one.
You could perhaps, but I live 30km from the nearest town and there is no bus, train, or anything else.
__________________
Late 2013 13" MBPr 8/256, 2007 iMac 4GB, iPod classic. iPhone5 white 32.iPad4 white 64/LTE, iPad Air 32GB wifi white.
nightlong is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:27 PM   #21
3N16MA
macrumors 6502a
 
3N16MA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Space
Most people who own an iPad do not need one. The question is do you want to have an iPad? Wanting something is different than needing something.
3N16MA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:08 PM   #22
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000
 
WilliamLondon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZREOSpecialist View Post
Nobody needs an iPad. Remember that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3N16MA View Post
Most people who own an iPad do not need one. The question is do you want to have an iPad? Wanting something is different than needing something.
As a person who believes there is no difference between want and need when it comes to certain things in life (it's true, I am that bad especially if I really want it!), there is a fine line between want and need sometimes with these lovely devices. I'm a happy mini owner and I got mine for utility more than I got it for the games (though that is a perfect reason to need want one<grin>) - I decided on the mini because my Kindle (which I LOVE) doesn't display PDFs well, and for my studies I needed something that displayed PDFs well, rather than either sitting at some desktop PC to read the PDF (and there are a lot to be read each week) or printing out sometimes reams of paper so I can sit comfortably on my sofa at home while reading them.

I admit (there is a chance, albeit very small) I could do without my mini (I got my first degree without one), but then we could say that about everything which provides us some fun utility in life, couldn't we? I mean, we could simply have boxes in our kitchen in which we put a big block of ice and store foods that need to be chilled - we don't *need* a refrigerator you plug into the wall, do we? We have kerosene and candles, so we don't *need* lamps you plug into the wall, do we?

For me wants and needs associated with consumer electronics products are the same blurred, and I'm sure others must think this way too??
WilliamLondon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:15 PM   #23
Luis2004
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamLondon View Post
.......

I admit (there is a chance, albeit very small) I could do without my mini .......
So what did you do prior to April 2010?

My point is, no one needs these freaking things. Do I love my iPad? Well I'm very attached to it. I use it for everything from reading, studying, taking handwritten notes, surfing the internet, communicating, etc. It's extremely convenient.

But if all of the world's iPads suddenly disappeared, give me a piece of paper, a book, a pen, a laptop, text messaging, and I'm golden. Will I be sad? For a little bit. But I'm sure when I'm 80 years old I will look back on my 3 year experience with the iPad and not think that it was the highlight of my life.
Luis2004 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:23 PM   #24
dazed
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
I use my iPad more than any other piece of tech I own (including iPhone).

If you need a MacBook with you most of the time anyway, then something like the kindle would do you well for reading.
dazed is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:24 PM   #25
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000
 
WilliamLondon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis2004 View Post
But if all of the world's iPads suddenly disappeared, give me a piece of paper, a book, a pen, a laptop, text messaging, and I'm golden. Will I be sad? For a little bit. But I'm sure when I'm 80 years old I will look back on my 3 year experience with the iPad and not think that it was the highlight of my life.
What makes you think you get to keep text messaging if our iPads all disappear? Seems only fair if we have to give up our iPads you'd have to give up text messaging. ;-)
WilliamLondon is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Tags
ipad, ipad need, selling, selling ipad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Launching Updated iPad Air in 2014, No 12.9-Inch iPad or New iPad Mini Until 2015 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 209 Jul 15, 2014 09:33 AM
All iPads: Upgrade from 3rd iPad to iPad Air, new iPad mini or wait for next iPads? Sven11 iPad 32 Oct 23, 2013 02:55 PM
Apple Drops Refurbished iPad Prices, iPad Mini Now Available for $249, iPad 4 for $379 MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 16 Oct 23, 2013 09:53 AM
iPad Mini: iPad 5 And Retina iPad Mini Will Be Announced October 22. 13" iPad Maxi In The Works. vmaniqui iPad 1 Oct 9, 2013 03:51 PM
Trouble deciding: iPad mini vs iPad 2 vs Retina iPad? Do NOT get an iPad 2. ThatsMeRight iPad 27 Oct 28, 2012 02:26 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC