Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:07 AM   #1
Samtb
macrumors 6502a

iPad 4, iPad mini, future Retina mini or future iPad 5

Ignoring price, which would you choose and why?
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:30 AM   #2
richardmu
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtb View Post
The last two. I've tried both the iPad 3, 4 and mini and returned them all. Not particularly impressed with any of them. None of them felt right!

I decided to keep my iPad 2 and Kindle Fire HD for now as they are perfect for what I need.

Looking forward to the next gen iPad and mini. A lighter, thinner iPad plus a better screen on the mini.
richardmu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:52 AM   #3
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
That's a wide open question. So let me ask you some:
  1. Do you care if you wait some unspecified time to actually get the iPad in your hands?
  2. Is there something about one size or the other that better fits your needs?
  3. Do you actually want or need the iPad now?
Having said that I went with the current iPad mini. The size fit with what I wanted. The lack of Retina for my usage isn't an issue.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:28 AM   #4
Samtb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
That's a wide open question. So let me ask you some:
  1. Do you care if you wait some unspecified time to actually get the iPad in your hands?
  2. Is there something about one size or the other that better fits your needs?
  3. Do you actually want or need the iPad now?
Having said that I went with the current iPad mini. The size fit with what I wanted. The lack of Retina for my usage isn't an issue.
1 - Yes because none of the current models fit my needs,
2 - Probably, yes.
3 - Want - yes.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:57 PM   #5
irDigital0l

Quote:
1 - Yes because none of the current models fit my needs,
2 - Probably, yes.
3 - Want - yes.
Then wait for either the iPad 5 (significantly lighter/smaller) than iPad 4 due to reduced bezel and new design or the iPad Mini 2 (Retina display).

Could come as soon as March.
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:19 PM   #6
Samtb
macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure which screen size is better though. Assuming in the future, there's a retina mini, the mini would be more portable but the larger ipad would have a bigger screen and less portable due to screen size. So which would be better? Would you go for bigger size or portability.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:30 PM   #7
irDigital0l

Quote:
I'm not sure which screen size is better though. Assuming in the future, there's a retina mini, the mini would be more portable but the larger ipad would have a bigger screen and less portable due to screen size. So which would be better? Would you go for bigger size or portability.
Depends how what you want.

Do you travel often? iPad Mini might be better.

Stay at home, want a powerful device to do some work? iPad might be better.

Or you could wait for for the iPad 5. That seems to be the iPad that will be a hybrid of the iPad Mini and the iPad 4. It'll have the same design as the iPad Mini and will be significantly lighter than the iPad 4. It will also be smaller due to Apple decreasing the side bezels to make it like the Mini. You'll also get the same 9.7-inch Retina display and probably an even faster chip (A7X might be quad-core).
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:43 PM   #8
Samtb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
Depends how what you want.

Do you travel often? iPad Mini might be better.

Stay at home, want a powerful device to do some work? iPad might be better.

Or you could wait for for the iPad 5. That seems to be the iPad that will be a hybrid of the iPad Mini and the iPad 4. It'll have the same design as the iPad Mini and will be significantly lighter than the iPad 4. It will also be smaller due to Apple decreasing the side bezels to make it like the Mini. You'll also get the same 9.7-inch Retina display and probably an even faster chip (A7X might be quad-core).
At home, I prefer to use a laptop, most laptops are much more powerful than an ipad. So I'd use it more outside home probably.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:58 PM   #9
irDigital0l

Quote:
At home, I prefer to use a laptop, most laptops are much more powerful than an ipad. So I'd use it more outside home probably.
iPad Mini sound better if you already have an laptop.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:46 AM   #10
Badrottie
macrumors 68030

I love my iPad 2 because it is very light and I am looking forward to see new iPad 5. I didn't like 3 and 4 because it feels bit heavy for me.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad