Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:55 AM   #26
itsamacthing
macrumors 6502

I wouldn't go telling Apple about the sub zero temps, but the cold temps sound like an interesting culprit!
itsamacthing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:36 AM   #27
philmed1008
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroomtip View Post
I don't understand how anyone can sleep in 20 degree temps . I understand trying to save on heating bills but that is ridiculous .
It is 20 degrees celsius which is 68 degrees fahrenheit. That is what our thermostat is set to in the day. At night it is off so the temperature drops to I am guessing 10 degrees celsius or so which is 50 degrees fahrenheit.

Is that unusual? Feels perfectly comfortable to me.
philmed1008 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:43 AM   #28
trustever
macrumors 6502

Man I know what you mean about room temperatures dropping at night, I have a terrible heating system and it can't be programmed so at night I switch it off.. Hopefully it will not affect the screen of my Imac... Damn

Let us know how that happen...
trustever is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:44 AM   #29
WilliamG
macrumors 601

I don't believe temperature had anything to do with it. My iMac was shipped all the way across the world, and then across the USA for many days on end, enduring well-below freezing temperatures in its box. It almost burned my hands when I took it out of the box it was so cold to touch the aluminum!

That looks to be impact damage. But that's just my thoughts on it.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:58 AM   #30
philmed1008
macrumors newbie

I appreciate it looks like impact damage but it wasnt. Unless somebody broke in whacked the screen cracked it without damaging casing and then slipped off into the night! There would be really no point me coming on here to lie and convince members of a forum. Im just putting it out there what really happened and to see if this or similar has happened to others.
philmed1008 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:08 AM   #31
WilliamG
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by philmed1008 View Post
I appreciate it looks like impact damage but it wasnt. Unless somebody broke in whacked the screen cracked it without damaging casing and then slipped off into the night! There would be really no point me coming on here to lie and convince members of a forum. Im just putting it out there what really happened and to see if this or similar has happened to others.
Well, I believe that you don't know how it happened, but that still looks like impact damage. Perhaps something was in the wardrobe and hit it, or... heck - I don't know. But good luck convincing Apple of your case. I feel for you, but... you know... it doesn't look good!
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:30 AM   #32
TypeMRT
macrumors regular

Sorry to hear that your display is cracked. I cracked my 1-week old iMac display and the $550 repair was a full replacement display at the Apple Store.
TypeMRT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:55 AM   #33
philmed1008
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeMRT View Post
Sorry to hear that your display is cracked. I cracked my 1-week old iMac display and the $550 repair was a full replacement display at the Apple Store.
Was that the older iMac or the new thinner version. My original was a write of because of cracked glass and dented casing.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:30 PM   #34
uptownnyc
macrumors regular

Did a deer hit it?
uptownnyc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:49 PM   #35
Lobwedgephil
macrumors regular

I'm hoping this is the first guy that admits to lying on macrumors. The second picture doesn't help you case for no casing damage.
Lobwedgephil is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:51 PM   #36
iMcLovin
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroomtip View Post
I don't understand how anyone can sleep in 20 degree temps . I understand trying to save on heating bills but that is ridiculous .
20 degrees THats to warm IMO. I would say 15-16 is good for sleeping.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:56 PM   #37
philmed1008
macrumors newbie

How? There is not a single mark on the casing. The damage is only in the glass!
Again it says more about you than me to always think that people lie. I would have no motive to lie on here, it serves no purpose for me getting this repaired under warranty! Again I have posted the truth about what happened, take it or leave it.
philmed1008 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:15 PM   #38
Ak907Freerider
macrumors regular

Being in Alaska I know all about breaking glass. Anyone knows you never take your cold car to a car wash unless you want to watch your windshield shatter. I always thought this was a myth cause I did it for years. Until one day I brought my Tahoe in and sure enough mid wash heard a loud pop and across my whole windshield was a nasty spider web. So this makes me wonder being the screen is laminated onto the glass the heat from the monitor can be enough on the glass to spider web it. Time will tell but it is a California design as we call it here works in perfect heat but fails in colder temps. Hope this isn't true though
Ak907Freerider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:28 PM   #39
flynz4
macrumors 68030

Quote:
How? There is not a single mark on the casing. The damage is only in the glass!
Again it says more about you than me to always think that people lie. I would have no motive to lie on here, it serves no purpose for me getting this repaired under warranty! Again I have posted the truth about what happened, take it or leave it.
Just take it to Apple. 10:1 they will replace it for you without charge. Just tell them the story.

I personally believe you with near 100% confidence. You made a mistake once... you took responsibility. You are talking to a bunch of armchair "mock-engineers" pretending they know thermodynamics of materials and can diagnose your problem via a picture on the internet.

Bring it in and you will be fine. Keep your integrity high when you explain he story.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:44 PM   #40
TypeMRT
macrumors regular

Quote:
Was that the older iMac or the new thinner version. My original was a write of because of cracked glass and dented casing.
It's the new, thinner 27".
TypeMRT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:48 PM   #41
mushroomtip
macrumors 6502

forget your integrity and tell them it came out of the box like that . I don't believe they are gonna buy what you say happened . good luck ! messaged from the Arm Chair
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:49 PM   #42
philmed1008
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynz4 View Post
Just take it to Apple. 10:1 they will replace it for you without charge. Just tell them the story.

I personally believe you with near 100% confidence. You made a mistake once... you took responsibility. You are talking to a bunch of armchair "mock-engineers" pretending they know thermodynamics of materials and can diagnose your problem via a picture on the internet.

Bring it in and you will be fine. Keep your integrity high when you explain he story.

/Jim
Thank you, Jim.

You have restored my faith!

Phil
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:37 PM   #43
flynz4
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Thank you, Jim.

You have restored my faith!

Phil
BTW: Your second mistake was listening to these clowns on MR.

Seriously... I think you will be OK. There are no guarantees... but Apple tends to be reasonable with reasonable people.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:47 PM   #44
shigzeo
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to shigzeo
Quote:
It is 20 degrees celsius which is 68 degrees fahrenheit. That is what our thermostat is set to in the day. At night it is off so the temperature drops to I am guessing 10 degrees celsius or so which is 50 degrees fahrenheit.

In Japan, where every house has a maximum of 2 panes of glass (1 in most), 3-7 degrees average in the winter is pretty spot on. Typically, it is colder inside than outside because the inside doesn't even get the sun.

So, I'd say spot on.

North Americans are used to leaving central heating on all the time and don't mind crazy electric bills. That's why less than 20 degrees may feel cold to them.

And of course, the people saying 10 and 20 is below freezing are just joking. No one would have for a moment thought you were talking about Fahrenheit, not at those temperatures. That is, unless this forum really has gone to the dogs.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:36 PM   #45
tom vilsack
macrumors 65816

Maybe you sleepwalk?

Maybe you should consider this. ;-)

tom vilsack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:34 PM   #46
Stevi
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post
In Japan, where every house has a maximum of 2 panes of glass (1 in most), 3-7 degrees average in the winter is pretty spot on. Typically, it is colder inside than outside because the inside doesn't even get the sun.

So, I'd say spot on.

North Americans are used to leaving central heating on all the time and don't mind crazy electric bills. That's why less than 20 degrees may feel cold to them.

And of course, the people saying 10 and 20 is below freezing are just joking. No one would have for a moment thought you were talking about Fahrenheit, not at those temperatures. That is, unless this forum really has gone to the dogs.
I'm in Canada, the overnight low for tonight is expected to fall to -32C with the wind the equivalent temperature is -44C . My heating runs all winter, I have no choice. If I were to turn off the heat I'd have no water bill either as my pipes would be frozen before dawn. Assuming I survive the night, the car won't start as it will be frozen solid too (we plug them in using more electricity to keep them warm enough to start). So while some North Amercans are relatively warm in winter this Cannuck remains so due to a heating system that stays on ALL winter.

I promise our summers are amazing!
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:47 PM   #47
seanm9
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevi View Post
I'm in Canada...
Summer must be the best 2 weeks of the year for you
seanm9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:22 PM   #48
mushroomtip
macrumors 6502

Quote:

earlier i thought you said it was - 6 celsius in the house . I just misread your post . 68 degrees sound about right . we keep our thermostat at 70 F
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:31 PM   #49
Dav1boy
macrumors member

ouch! thats painful. worth a shot to take it in.
Dav1boy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:35 PM   #50
shigzeo
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to shigzeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevi View Post
I'm in Canada, the overnight low for tonight is expected to fall to -32C with the wind the equivalent temperature is -44C . My heating runs all winter, I have no choice. If I were to turn off the heat I'd have no water bill either as my pipes would be frozen before dawn. Assuming I survive the night, the car won't start as it will be frozen solid too (we plug them in using more electricity to keep them warm enough to start). So while some North Amercans are relatively warm in winter this Cannuck remains so due to a heating system that stays on ALL winter.

I should mention that there are certain North Americans that need it. I also hail from Canada and realise that in the extreme months, heating needs to be used. Other options exist of course, but the jokers who kept up with: minus 10! Do you have to go to such extremes! were obviously a hit in the early parts of this thread.

Even in Japan it gets cold. Go up north and temperatures never rise above minus 10 along the coast and minus 20 inland. Still not Canada, but in northern Japan, they get WAAAAAY more snowfall. Of course, snowfall insulates!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac