Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:41 AM   #1
toddbe
macrumors member

New iMac 27" - Terrible Applecare and Fusion drive problems

Got my new 27" IMAC after ordering on Nov. 27th from Expercom. Great screen and it is fast.

One small problem after Time Machine restore was I wasn't able to launch Display Calibration.

After talking with a senior tech at Apple, he tried a number of different steps including repartitioning my drive (why I don't know). He also had the ability to see my screen.

After the repartition was about 75% done it seemed to stop. He told me to cancel the repartition. I said to him I thought this would cause problems, he said to cancel.

Well he fixed he Display Calibration problem by sending me a new plist file. He then went to get off the call and I said lets look at the drive.

Well it showed he 3TB Fusion drive as a 1.25TB Fusion. He was unable to fix it, and was not apologetic or very helpful. After calling back and working with three other senior advisors here is what I found:

1- All very empathetic. I feel your pain....
2- Had to repeat the problem to each person who got my call before transferring the call to the senior advisor.
3- Had to repeat the problem to each senior advisor even though all the notes were in place.
4- NO FIX or remedy after working on this for over eight hours with Apple.
5- The drive is now not bootable.

Taking the IMC to the Apple Store tomorrow. This has been very disappointing. The machine itself will not even boot up now. I have tried using Disk Warrior and Tech Pro Tools to no avail.

This episode has really changed my attitude about where Apple is. I am an original Apple 512K owner and have many Apple products. I believe the company is changing for the worse....
toddbe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:47 AM   #2
Macman45
macrumors G5

Senior techs are normally good, but there is always a chance you get a bad one...it happens...The first guy obviously screwed up your drive, you need to contact Apple, explain what happened and ask for a swap out....That drive is going to need serious repair, and you've already tried DW..If that can't repair it then it needs to go back.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:24 AM   #3
itsamacthing
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbe View Post
This episode has really changed my attitude about where Apple is. I am an original Apple 512K owner and have many Apple products. I believe the company is changing for the worse....
Changing for the worse is correct...wish Woz would go to the office.
itsamacthing is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:29 AM   #4
turtlez
Banned

ah that sucks, should have gone with your instinct about not cancelling the partition.

I have learned one thing and it is a fail proof method. Learned it back in the PC days haha. I wouldn't have called at all. I would have just deleted all the extra partitions, extended the main to cover the whole drive and format that thing hard then reinstall everything fresh. It would have fixed your display too since you get a fresh install.

I can imagine you must be really POed with Apple right now since 1, you got the problem and 2, they made it a lot worse. I would just ask for an exchange and if they say no then say oh well i want a refund since it hasn't been two weeks yet (it hasn't right?). Win Win for you, Lose Lose for Apple.

PS. just take out any 3rd party ram you put in before taking it into the store don't want to lose it if you get a refund and 3! they might not add it to your exchange.
turtlez is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:45 AM   #5
toddbe
macrumors member

No Fix

I have taken out the ram, however the store or online does not carry the 27" 3.4 in stock. Might be four weeks.... I am really POed! All this wasted time and no short term resolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlez View Post
ah that sucks, should have gone with your instinct about not cancelling the partition.

I have learned one thing and it is a fail proof method. Learned it back in the PC days haha. I wouldn't have called at all. I would have just deleted all the extra partitions, extended the main to cover the whole drive and format that thing hard then reinstall everything fresh. It would have fixed your display too since you get a fresh install.

I can imagine you must be really POed with Apple right now since 1, you got the problem and 2, they made it a lot worse. I would just ask for an exchange and if they say no then say oh well i want a refund since it hasn't been two weeks yet (it hasn't right?). Win Win for you, Lose Lose for Apple.

PS. just take out any 3rd party ram you put in before taking it into the store don't want to lose it if you get a refund and 3! they might not add it to your exchange.
toddbe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:55 AM   #6
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Taking the IMC to the Apple Store tomorrow. This has been very disappointing. The machine itself will not even boot up now. I have tried using Disk Warrior and Tech Pro Tools to no avail.

1. You have no Applecare problem. AppleCare is not involved in this at all.
2. You have a broken Macintosh, which is about two months old or less, so Apple will fix it under warranty.

Fixing problems yourself is only a good idea once you are out of warranty and you have the choice of fixing it yourself or paying for a fix or losing a computer. When the computer is under warranty, let _them_ fix it.
gnasher729 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:02 AM   #7
toddbe
macrumors member

It is an AppleCare problem covered under the original warranty. That is the group responsible for service. The IMAC is three days old!
toddbe is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:10 AM   #8
iAco
Banned

Thumbs up

What's funny is that you paid over $2.5K for that thing.
iAco is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:28 AM   #9
Scott6666
macrumors 65816

It does seem that fusion drives are tricky. Seem to be a number of comments on various threads regarding formatting them messes them up. Since these are all new for Apple I imagine they will find all kind of things during the first runs.

At least there is someone to call at Apple and a store to visit. Imagine trying to call Acer, or Asus (or even Dell or Microsoft) with an issue. There is typically no one at most other computer companies who you can contact, and no place to get one dropped off for repair.

Everyone who orders one now must know that if there is an issue requiring replacement, there is no stock to replace with. You shouldn't be surprised or PO. All very foreseeable things. Hold your anger for when you really get screwed. This isn't it.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:52 AM   #10
toddbe
macrumors member

If you spent over five hours and $3000 and still wasn't wasn't working and no fix in sight you might be a little upset also!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott6666 View Post
It does seem that fusion drives are tricky. Seem to be a number of comments on various threads regarding formatting them messes them up. Since these are all new for Apple I imagine they will find all kind of things during the first runs.

At least there is someone to call at Apple and a store to visit. Imagine trying to call Acer, or Asus (or even Dell or Microsoft) with an issue. There is typically no one at most other computer companies who you can contact, and no place to get one dropped off for repair.

Everyone who orders one now must know that if there is an issue requiring replacement, there is no stock to replace with. You shouldn't be surprised or PO. All very foreseeable things. Hold your anger for when you really get screwed. This isn't it.
toddbe is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:55 AM   #11
The Monkey
macrumors 6502

Quote:
If you spent over five hours and $3000 and still wasn't wasn't working and no fix in sight you might be a little upset also!
Unless I'm missing something, isn't the "fix" here very, very easy? Return the computer and have Apple replace under warranty/AppleCare (whichever). It's no fun, understood, but what's the big deal?
The Monkey is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:11 AM   #12
toddbe
macrumors member

1-No inventory on complete unit or Fusion Drive.
2- Five hours of messing around.
3- No IMAC to use.
4- Driving to and from and waiting at the Apple Store, another three hours?

That is the big deal!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monkey View Post
Unless I'm missing something, isn't the "fix" here very, very easy? Return the computer and have Apple replace under warranty/AppleCare (whichever). It's no fun, understood, but what's the big deal?
toddbe is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:49 AM   #13
The Monkey
macrumors 6502

Have you escalated this with Apple? I have seen a couple of posts where people with issues have jumped the queue a bit for replacements. Call Apple back and demand a replacement ASAP. Nicely, but forcefully. Have you done that yet?
The Monkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:54 AM   #14
toddbe
macrumors member

I got a new advisor who said he would order a new one . I was given no lead time. He said maybe a month. Would love to escalate this. How????
toddbe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:59 AM   #15
The Monkey
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I got a new advisor who said he would order a new one . I was given no lead time. He said maybe a month. Would love to escalate this. How????
Escalate it by saying one month is unacceptable. Ask to speak to your new "advisor's" manager. You may at least get a free superdrive out of it (which is relatively meaningless, I know). The point is, don't take no for an answer until you are certain that either (a) they are no longer bs'ing you or (b) it is clear that you've exhausted your possible roads to a better solution. Be nice but firm. The squeaky wheel and all that.
The Monkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:12 PM   #16
pyzon
macrumors regular

Quote:
1-No inventory on complete unit or Fusion Drive.
2- Five hours of messing around.
3- No IMAC to use.
4- Driving to and from and waiting at the Apple Store, another three hours?

That is the big deal!!!
Errr not really its broke get it fixed...like most new things they can break, you took the risk with fusion unfortunately I'd didn't work out, no big deal at all just bring it back and get it fixed / repaired, you knew the risks of low inventory when you bought it! It was a hotly anticipated item, no?

Perhaps your 2.5/3 k$ would have been wiser on a 2010/2012 Mac Pro ! Glad now I went the user serviceable route
pyzon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:17 PM   #17
HenryDJP
macrumors 68020

Quote:
If you're dealing with Applecare over the phone then ask to speak to Customer Relations. They can and will escalate it. It shouldn't take a month. That's unacceptable.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyzon View Post
Errr not really its broke get it fixed...like most new things they can break, you took the risk with fusion unfortunately I'd didn't work out, no big deal at all just bring it back and get it fixed / repaired, you knew the risks of low inventory when you bought it! It was a hotly anticipated item, no?

Perhaps your 2.5/3 k$ would have been wiser on a 2010/2012 Mac Pro ! Glad now I went the user serviceable route
Lack of empathy much? Sheesh. No need to the put the OP in his place and furthermore it's not his fault, Apple sold him a faulty machine and nobody should be feel "at risk" just because they bought something on low inventory. They owe him a replacement iMac ASAP, not a repair. Would you get your expensive sports car "repaired" the moment you drove if off the lot and it started leaking oil or would you drive it back on the lot demanding another one? I vote you'd take the second option.
HenryDJP is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:21 PM   #18
oililymad
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDJP View Post
Lack of empathy much? Sheesh. No need to the put the OP in his place and furthermore it's not his fault, Apple sold him a faulty machine and nobody should be feel "at risk" just because they bought something on low inventory. They owe him a replacement iMac ASAP, not a repair. Would you get your expensive sports car "repaired" the moment you drove if off the lot and it started leaking oil or would you drive it back on the lot demanding another one? I vote you'd take the second option.

they sold a faulty machine
and then made it worse with their "technical support"

I would be pissed.

Last edited by Nermal; Jan 20, 2013 at 04:18 PM. Reason: fixed quote tag
oililymad is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:32 PM   #19
turtlez
Banned

Quote:
I have taken out the ram, however the store or online does not carry the 27" 3.4 in stock. Might be four weeks.... I am really POed! All this wasted time and no short term resolution.
this is the biggest worry i have. My iMac is scheduled to arrive today and I don't want to have to wait another 4 weeks for a replacement to ship if there is something wrong. I have been waiting since March to get this machine. By the time the replacement comes I will be using old technology and that doesn't make any sense, since I waited 6 months just to get the newer stuff.
turtlez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:48 PM   #20
hfg
macrumors 68020

Since you have a Time Machine backup of all your data (well, less the plist file that the Apple Rep sent you), why don't you break the Fusion drive and let it rebuilt itself, then use the Recovery boot to restore the iMac to the out-of-box condition and start over? You can again use your Time Machine backup to restore all your data and you are up and running again. There are many threads here to assist you with manipulating Fusion drives. The Apple Support link below also has some troubleshooting steps to restore your Fusion drive.

Don't take anyone's advice to repartition your Fusion drive other than using Boot Camp to create a single hard disk partition. I take this back, the newest Disk Utility is supported ... see the Apple Support documentation:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5446

Since the displays are individually calibrated in production, why are you trying to run Display Calibration (not that it shouldn't be able to run)?

This all should take less time than you spent on the phone with Apple Support and doesn't require weeks of waiting for a replacement. It probably really isn't "broken", it is just temporarily screwed up due to some bad advice and you should be able to fix it.

from the Apple Support document:

Can I add a partition to the hard disk with Fusion Drive?
Using Disk Utility, you can add one partition to the hard disk on Fusion Drive. Once you add the partition, the "plus" symbol in Disk Utility to add additional partitions will be grayed out. You cannot partition the Flash storage.

If I create a hard disk partition is it part of Fusion Drive?
The additional partition is not part of Fusion Drive. The new partition is a separate volume that is physically located on the hard disk drive.

Can I add a Windows partition?
You can create one additional partition on the hard disk with Fusion Drive. You can create either a Mac OS X partition or a Windows partition.

If creating a Windows partition, use Boot Camp Assistant to create it, not Disk Utility. From the Go menu, choose Utilities. Then, double-click Boot Camp Assistant and follow the onscreen instructions. For more information on Boot Camp see the Boot Camp support page.

Note: Boot Camp Assistant is not supported at this time on 3TB hard drive configurations.

Last edited by hfg; Jan 20, 2013 at 03:14 PM.
hfg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:30 PM   #21
thehustleman
macrumors 65816

I'm starting to get weary about ordering a fusion drive in my first apple pc.
thehustleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:10 PM   #22
hfg
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehustleman View Post
The problem isn't the Fusion drive here, it was the aborted attempt to partition it with Disk Utility! Any drive will be a problem if you muck it up with utility tools.
hfg is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:23 PM   #23
The Monkey
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehustleman View Post
My sentiments exactly. I went with the SSD for this exact reason. Especially given the 128 GB SSD on the fusion drives.
The Monkey is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:24 PM   #24
has.marvel
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfg View Post
Since you have a Time Machine backup of all your data (well, less the plist file that the Apple Rep sent you), why don't you break the Fusion drive and let it rebuilt itself, then use the Recovery boot to restore the iMac to the out-of-box condition and start over? You can again use your Time Machine backup to restore all your data and you are up and running again. There are many threads here to assist you with manipulating Fusion drives.

Don't take anyone's advice to repartition your Fusion drive other than using Boot Camp to create a single hard disk partition.

Since the displays are individually calibrated in production, why are you trying to run Display Calibration (not that it shouldn't be able to run)?

This all should take less time than you spent on the phone with Apple Support and doesn't require weeks of waiting for a replacement. It probably really isn't "broken", it is just temporarily screwed up due to some bad advice and you should be able to fix it.
This would be bad advice to use boot camp. It will not work on a 3TB drive. That has been all over these forums already.
has.marvel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:32 PM   #25
hfg
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by has.marvel View Post
This would be bad advice to use boot camp. It will not work on a 3TB drive. That has been all over these forums already.
It won't create a Windows environment, but will it not still create a single partition at the end of the hard disk part of the Fusion drive? You can use that partition as a non-fusion storage.
hfg is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac