Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:39 AM   #1
AnonMac50
macrumors 65816

Exclamation USB Extender ONLY extends data and sync capabilities, nothing else, help!

Hi, I have a USB 30-pin dock connector extender cable, and it works fine, except with my third party camera connection kit (with SD, MicroSD, mini-USB for charging and data transfer, normal USB, and a Headphone jack). The kit works perfectly fine on my iPad and on other devices, however, plugging in the extender cable only charging works, nothing else, no matter what device I use it on. The extender alone works fine. I also found that the iPhone dock's headphone jack works fine, but with the kit plugged in, the kit does not work save for the mini USB to charge and sync. when using the extender between the dock and the phone, the head phone jack no longer works.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
AnonMac50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:42 AM   #2
Intell
macrumors P6

Can you post a link to this thing or a picture of it? Your description is very vague.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:43 AM   #3
WordMasterRice
macrumors 6502a

That's just how most extenders work. Most don't extend all of the pins, just the most used pins. Cablejive is the only company that I know of that make fully functional extenders but they are ridiculous expensive.
WordMasterRice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:51 AM   #4
AnonMac50
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMasterRice View Post
That's just how most extenders work. Most don't extend all of the pins, just the most used pins. Cablejive is the only company that I know of that make fully functional extenders but they are ridiculous expensive.
Thank you, I'll look into it.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:59 AM   #5
Solomani
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMasterRice View Post

I learn something new every day. I never knew that USB extension cables would be selective on the data they can transfer.

I guess one option would be to purchase a (much) longer 30-pin to USB cable, hopefully one that is from Apple or from a legit Apple-sanctioned cable supplier (like Griffin, etc)
Solomani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:07 AM   #6
robpow
macrumors regular

I think the OP has found a dock connector extender (note - not a plain USB extension cable) that is not fully wired for all the dock pins.

The dock connector carries, amongst other things;
- Power
- Data
- Analog audio
- Analog video

Not all cables are fully wired up for all those signals. Here's one that is as an example.

Matt
robpow is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:37 AM   #7
AnonMac50
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpow View Post
I think the OP has found a dock connector extender (note - not a plain USB extension cable) that is not fully wired for all the dock pins.

The dock connector carries, amongst other things;
- Power
- Data
- Analog audio
- Analog video

Not all cables are fully wired up for all those signals. Here's one that is as an example.

Matt
My extender looks exactly like a white version of that.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:10 PM   #8
Giuly
macrumors 68040

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
Except the one above has an
Quote:
High quality 30 inner pin cords inside, include audio, video, sync, charger pin.
As far as I can see, they don't come in white.
Giuly is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories