Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Hi, I have a USB 30-pin dock connector extender cable, and it works fine, except with my third party camera connection kit (with SD, MicroSD, mini-USB for charging and data transfer, normal USB, and a Headphone jack). The kit works perfectly fine on my iPad and on other devices, however, plugging in the extender cable only charging works, nothing else, no matter what device I use it on. The extender alone works fine. I also found that the iPhone dock's headphone jack works fine, but with the kit plugged in, the kit does not work save for the mini USB to charge and sync. when using the extender between the dock and the phone, the head phone jack no longer works.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
That's just how most extenders work. Most don't extend all of the pins, just the most used pins. Cablejive is the only company that I know of that make fully functional extenders but they are ridiculous expensive.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
That's just how most extenders work. Most don't extend all of the pins, just the most used pins. Cablejive is the only company that I know of that make fully functional extenders but they are ridiculous expensive.

Thank you, I'll look into it.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina

I learn something new every day. I never knew that USB extension cables would be selective on the data they can transfer.

I guess one option would be to purchase a (much) longer 30-pin to USB cable, hopefully one that is from Apple or from a legit Apple-sanctioned cable supplier (like Griffin, etc)

robpow

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
I think the OP has found a dock connector extender (note - not a plain USB extension cable) that is not fully wired for all the dock pins.

The dock connector carries, amongst other things;
- Power
- Data
- Analog audio
- Analog video

Not all cables are fully wired up for all those signals. Here's one that is as an example.

Matt

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
I think the OP has found a dock connector extender (note - not a plain USB extension cable) that is not fully wired for all the dock pins.

The dock connector carries, amongst other things;
- Power
- Data
- Analog audio
- Analog video

Not all cables are fully wired up for all those signals. Here's one that is as an example.

Matt

My extender looks exactly like a white version of that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.