Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:49 PM   #1
1member1
macrumors 6502

System logs

Hi

Does the mac keep system.log from more than one day ? when I try to reach it from the console I only get today's events but I need yesterday )

Thanks

edit : never mind found it

Last edited by 1member1; Jan 20, 2013 at 01:55 PM. Reason: solved
1member1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:14 PM   #2
Quad5Ny
macrumors 6502a

/private/var/log/ has all (or most) of the system logs, including system.log. Older rotated logs are bzip2 compressed and appended with a ".#" to the end of their name (ex: system.log.3.bz2).

Other areas of interest include: /Library/logs/, /Library/Application Support/CrashReporter/, ~/Library/Logs/ and ~/Library/Application Support/CrashReporter/

Apps that are sandboxed sometimes have their logs separated from the normal log folders. Check "~/Library/Containers/com.DEVELOPER.APP" and browse to the Logs/CrashReporter folders in those App's sandbox containers.

It's safe to delete the entire contents of any of those folders (not the folder itself), just make sure to Restart and then Repair Disk Permissions afterwards.

You can manually trigger a log rotation by Opening up Terminal and typing "sudo newsyslog -F". I also believe the periodic scripts rotate 1 or 2 logs, try "sudo periodic daily weekly monthly".

All of that aside, you should be able to view the logs in Console:
  1. Open Console.app
  2. Click "Show Log List"
  3. Expand "/var/log"
  4. Scroll down

Last edited by Quad5Ny; Jan 20, 2013 at 02:37 PM. Reason: More info
Quad5Ny is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion