Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Hi,

I have a few questions regarding he Nord Piano 88 and Logic Pro and any help would be greatly appreciated.

1) Is it possible to export a MIDI track from logic pro to play back through the Nord Piano? If so how?

2) When using the Nord as a MIDI keyboard in Logic can I use the sounds/samples from the Nord Piano and record these (as midi and not just as a 'live' instrument? If so how?

3) If the answer to question 3 is yes, can I use the Nord sounds in Logic when the Nord is offline/not connected? Or at least if I've recorded a MIDI track using the logic keyboard and using the Nord sounds can I manipulate these recorded MIDI events when the Nord is offline or do I always need the Nord connected in order to get the sounds?

Cheers.

spectorga

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012
Hi,
I'll take a shot at answering your questions because I had to get these answered myself. See inline comments.
Hi,

I have a few questions regarding he Nord Piano 88 and Logic Pro and any help would be greatly appreciated.

1) Is it possible to export a MIDI track from logic pro to play back through the Nord Piano? If so how? I believe so, though I'm not sure 'export' is the correct phase. You can set a midi track as an external device to play the Nord. The midi track must have the midi notes on it and tell Logic to play those notes on the Nord. Check out 'sflogicninja' on Youtube. He has many great tutorials about this stuff.

2) When using the Nord as a MIDI keyboard in Logic can I use the sounds/samples from the Nord Piano and record these (as midi and not just as a 'live' instrument? If so how? No, I don't think so. The keyboard is acting as a controller. If you want the Nord sounds, you have to record it as an audio track. I have to use the same procedure with my Casio PX-330.

3) If the answer to question 3 is yes, can I use the Nord sounds in Logic when the Nord is offline/not connected? Or at least if I've recorded a MIDI track using the logic keyboard and using the Nord sounds can I manipulate these recorded MIDI events when the Nord is offline or do I always need the Nord connected in order to get the sounds?If the keyboard is not connected, I'm not sure how Logic would ever 'see' it. Keep in mind that Logic is 'controlling the Nord and its sounds. Think of this. "Can I use my hair dryer if its not plugged in?" Probably not. :D

Cheers.

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Hi,
I'll take a shot at answering your questions because I had to get these answered myself. See inline comments.

Thanks for the reply, some useful info. I have set my Nord up as an external device and put midi events onto that track, but nothing played through the nord. I'll check that guy out on youtube, thanks. I did check a video out regarding this, followed it step by step and all I got was high frequency feedback :confused:

I'l keep trying :)

spectorga

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012
Thanks for the reply, some useful info. I have set my Nord up as an external device and put midi events onto that track, but nothing played through the nord. I'll check that guy out on youtube, thanks. I did check a video out regarding this, followed it step by step and all I got was high frequency feedback :confused:

I'l keep trying :)

Check out this link on Youtube. It will explain it and a bunch more.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS_YS-waARU

In short, select your external midi track and make sure the Nord is selected in the port in the Inspector window. You can see how my Casio is selected here. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-22 at 7.47.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-22 at 7.47.56 PM.png
    20 KB · Views: 458
Last edited:

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Check out this link on Youtube. It will explain it and a bunch more.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS_YS-waARU

In short, select your external midi track and make sure the Nord is selected in the port in the Inspector window. You can see how my Casio is selected here. Hope this helps.

Thanks again, I'll check this out later and see how I get on. Will post back when I've had chance to give it a go.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hi,

1) Is it possible to export a MIDI track from logic pro to play back through the Nord Piano? If so how?

2) When using the Nord as a MIDI keyboard in Logic can I use the sounds/samples from the Nord Piano and record these (as midi and not just as a 'live' instrument? If so how?

3) If the answer to question 3 is yes, can I use the Nord sounds in Logic when the Nord is offline/not connected? Or at least if I've recorded a MIDI track using the logic keyboard and using the Nord sounds can I manipulate these recorded MIDI events when the Nord is offline or do I always need the Nord connected in order to get the sounds?

Cheers.

There actually is a way to use the Nord sounds in logic when the Nord is unplugged. But it is a LOT of work. What you do is sample the Nord. You record each key just like sampling a grand piano then you place all those samples into ESX24 in Logic.

I've seen software that will send a MIDI note and then record the audio. So you don't need to play each key this process can by automated. The end result is thousands of WAV files severe for each key plu peddle up and peddle down. Then it is all loaded into ESX24. This trick is best used on analog synths that you need to sample.

Or,... You remember the Nord uses Sampletekk sounds. so you buy a library from http://www.sampletekk.com. Actually the sounds in the library are better as I doun't think Nord uses the full set

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
There actually is a way to use the Nord sounds in logic when the Nord is unplugged. But it is a LOT of work. What you do is sample the Nord. You record each key just like sampling a grand piano then you place all those samples into ESX24 in Logic.

I've seen software that will send a MIDI note and then record the audio. So you don't need to play each key this process can by automated. The end result is thousands of WAV files severe for each key plu peddle up and peddle down. Then it is all loaded into ESX24. This trick is best used on analog synths that you need to sample.

Or,... You remember the Nord uses Sampletekk sounds. so you buy a library from http://www.sampletekk.com. Actually the sounds in the library are better as I doun't think Nord uses the full set

Thanks for this. I didn't realise that Nord used sampletekk, I'll have to have a look at these. I believe Nord does use the full set, if you choose to. For each piano sound you can have full sampling (each key has it's own samples) or varying degrees of block sampling. The reason for the block sampling is that it takes up less memory and so you can have more instruments stored. I have full sampling :D

Edit: Do you know any programs that can send the midi then record audio, I wouldn't know where to start looking? :eek:

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.