Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:07 PM   #1
hermitman
macrumors newbie

CH version iPad

For other version of i device, changing international setting will affect region format, and change the google search URL to .xx for the local area. However, unfortunately, for the CH version i device, this is not the case. No matter which international setting I choose, I will only be prompt to google.cn for the search engine. This is an issue listed everywhere, but it seems apple cannot provide a good solution for some reason. I am hoping that someone here knows how to change to make it work.....

many thanks
hermitman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:29 PM   #2
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a

Try www.google.com/ncr and see if that fixes it.
Fruit Cake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:06 AM   #3
hermitman
macrumors newbie

I think it prompt me to the normal google.com search page after I put it as address. What I mean in the post is that the "search" field of Safari will automatically use google.cn. I could use the regular google.com on Safari if I input the URL in the address field.

BTW, what will the "ncr" do if I add it in the URL? Thanks in advance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruit Cake View Post
Try www.google.com/ncr and see if that fixes it.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:40 AM   #4
rcp27
macrumors regular

The localisation of search results that google presents to you is based on where Google thinks you are located, and that depends on your IP address, which will depend on who provides your internet connection. While changing the localisation settings on the iPad will affect things like the keyboard layout, the date, time and currency formats and the system language, it will not make Google think you are somewhere you are not. There are other ways of making Google think you are somewhere you are not, but this is not something a simple system setting on an iPad can achieve.
rcp27 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:09 PM   #5
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a

Ncr is no country redirect

I tested this with mine and it stayed on google.com

Which country are you in?
Fruit Cake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:58 PM   #6
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Yes, good question. It's very strange that a Swiss iPad (CH) would redirect you to Chinese Google (CN).
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:22 PM   #7
hermitman
macrumors newbie

US...

Here is how you will see what happens.

Go to setting->international->region format. Pick Chinese->China

Then open the Safari app. In the upper right search field, search something. You will see that Safari take you to google.cn, which does not exist, thus the page asks you to redirect to google.com.hk.

You can try use different region format, the search field will use the local google.xxx respectively.

Quote:
Ncr is no country redirect

I tested this with mine and it stayed on google.com

----------

Unfortunately, apple choose to use "CH" in the serial number of i device sold in China......

EX: MD329CH is ipad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionableMango View Post
Yes, good question. It's very strange that a Swiss iPad (CH) would redirect you to Chinese Google (CN).

----------

I think region format will also change which URL the Safari search field use

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp27 View Post
The localisation of search results that google presents to you is based on where Google thinks you are located, and that depends on your IP address, which will depend on who provides your internet connection. While changing the localisation settings on the iPad will affect things like the keyboard layout, the date, time and currency formats and the system language, it will not make Google think you are somewhere you are not. There are other ways of making Google think you are somewhere you are not, but this is not something a simple system setting on an iPad can achieve.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad