Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:16 PM   #1
Wise Potato
macrumors newbie

How future proof is the iPad Mini?

I certainly like the smaller form factor, the non-retina display and inferior chip are a bummer but i would sacrifice those for the smaller iPad Mini because it can fit in my pocket (tried it) and it's also much more comfortable to read on.

My ONLY concern is future updates, I never owned an Apple product so i don't know for how long they support it, i bought a Sony Ericsson less than a year ago and Sony already decided to stop updating it, and i was stuck with the incredibily laggy ICS, it literally takes 10 minutes JUST to unlock the phone and try to call a number, and there is almost a 1.5 seconds delay in touch.

I had to flash it to install Jelly bean, i don't want to make the same mistake again, i don't usually upgrade my phone and other tech devices often, maybe once every 3 years, or more. (my laptop is 5 years old and it's still good enough for me).

How do you think the iPad mini will keep up with the latest games and apps, let's say in the next 2 years?

And is it comfortable to read on the iPad 4? because if the mini isn't going to handle the latest games i may want to get a normal iPad instead (which is significantly more future proof with A6X chip).

Last edited by Wise Potato; Jan 20, 2013 at 07:34 PM.
Wise Potato is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:31 PM   #2
Bobby Corwen
macrumors 68000

Not future proof at all.

Get ipad 4.
Bobby Corwen is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:38 PM   #3
irDigital0l

The iPad Mini and iPod Touch 5 will probably be the only devices that have A5 chips in them being sold. Currently A5 makes up the majority but next year it will be A6 and A7.

So iOS 7 will work ok.

Don't expect future iOS updates to be optimized for the iPad Mini or any other iOS devices unless they're the new ones.

Really, Apple should have included the A6 chip.

Eventually the iPad Mini is going to become what the iPad 1 is today. iOS not optimized for it and lackluster specs will make it a lot worse.

Last edited by irDigital0l; Jan 20, 2013 at 07:43 PM.
irDigital0l is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:56 PM   #4
syd430

The A5/A5X probably accounts the vast majority of ios devices out there (4S, ipad2, ipad 3). As a result this generation will probably be supported for atleast another 2 years.
  3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:59 PM   #5
ZuneMan?
Banned

All technology will go obsolete within 3 years. Yes, it is 'future proof' for a few years..
ZuneMan? is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:03 PM   #6
ftaok
macrumors 601

If I had to guess, I'd say that the mini1 will officially support iOS7 and partial support for iOS8. I'm actually happy that the mini had tge same basic specs as the ipad2, cause that means my iPad will be supported longer
ftaok is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:14 PM   #7
danpass
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuneMan? View Post
All technology will go obsolete within 3 years. Yes, it is 'future proof' for a few years..
I concur with three years, at the most.

A trend I've experienced is that an app gets updated and suddenly that update requires the next OS level.
danpass is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:39 PM   #8
T5BRICK
macrumors 68040

I'll most likely get the next two updates, with some functionality missing from the last one.
T5BRICK is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:59 PM   #9
luqtotheman
macrumors regular

I would get the ipad 4 for future proof.
luqtotheman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:52 PM   #10
Zotaccian
macrumors 6502a

Having only 512MB of RAM might cause problem in the future if iOS gets more resource intensive, as new version often do. The original iPad has only 256MB. Newer chip is of course always better in terms of support but I think A5 shouldn't be problem for couple more years because of its performance or because it would be missing some vital technically... Then again, in the Mac Apple killed Core Duo while even Windows 8 runs on it without problems.
Zotaccian is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:15 AM   #11
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
It's not

It's not.

In fact, nothing is.

Don't buy any consumer electronics.

Ever.
tdhurst is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:24 AM   #12
blufire95
macrumors member

It's as Future-proof as an iPad 2, because it has nearly the same specs.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:29 AM   #13
Puevlo
macrumors 6502a

It was obsolete three years ago. Now it's just plain junk.
Puevlo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:22 AM   #14
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise Potato View Post
I certainly like the smaller form factor, the non-retina display and inferior chip are a bummer but i would sacrifice those for the smaller iPad Mini because it can fit in my pocket (tried it) and it's also much more comfortable to read on.
How do you think the iPad mini will keep up with the latest games and apps, let's say in the next 2 years?

And is it comfortable to read on the iPad 4? because if the mini isn't going to handle the latest games i may want to get a normal iPad instead (which is significantly more future proof with A6X chip).
I would say at least 2 years.

As for reading, hands down the Mini is better for holding for reading in most situations. How would the iPad 4 be any easier to read on than the 3 or the 2 when they're basically the same size?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puevlo View Post
I wonder what feature is lacking that you wanted? Retina? It's not junk and it's not obsolete.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:33 AM   #15
syd430

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhurst View Post
It's not.

In fact, nothing is.

Ever.
Thanks capt. obvious. Don't think that answered his specific question though.
  1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:37 AM   #16
Wise Potato
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhurst View Post
It's not.

In fact, nothing is.

Ever.
Not really, like i said my laptop is 5 years old and it's still fast enough for me, some electronics last longer than others.

I meant how long do you guys think Apple and developers will keep supporting it, not if it's going to work with all apps forever.

I appreciate your help good sir.

----------

Quote:
Three years ago iPad 1 wasn't even out yet IIRC...
Wise Potato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:48 AM   #17
Wise Potato
macrumors newbie

Well according to some of you guys and Apple's history of supporting old products it's probably going to be supported for at least 2 years, and that's good enough for me.

I think i expressed myself stupidly above, I'm not a cheap ***, and if my electronics aren't keeping up i will upgrade them, if my laptop stops supporting the latest software i will replace it.

What i meant to say is that i don't care about owning the latest tech devices just for the sake of it, it doesn't bother me if my stuff is old as long as it's working.

Anyway, i decided to buy the iPad 4 because of the retina display, i just tried my friend's iPad 3 and i liked the display, tbh the iPad is pretty portable.

Thanks all, i really appreciate your help.
Wise Potato is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:43 PM   #18
ratzzo
macrumors 6502a

With A5, limited RAM and no Retina... not very future proof.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:51 PM   #19
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

iPad2 still going strong. I would expect the same from the Mini.
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:55 PM   #20
kylera
macrumors 6502a

I have no issues reading on the iPad 4, even though it is bigger than the Mini.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:48 PM   #21
deaglecat
macrumors regular

Ipad 4 needs the extra power for the retina display.
Ipad 3 relatively underpowered for its screen
Ipad 2 and Ipad mini will not be significantly outclassed because at the moment, there is not that much difference to the higher end models (due to the need to drive the retina screen).

So the Ipad 2 and Mini will be good for a few more years...
deaglecat is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:50 PM   #22
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a

I'll most likely upgrade to the next generation anyway, so enjoying my iPad Mini in the moment, don't care about future proofing....
mpayne2k is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:56 PM   #23
mono1980
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Yes a super cool running, super thin tablet that gets 10 hours of battery life and works great for web browsing, reading books and casual games is junk.
mono1980 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:19 PM   #24
darkloki
macrumors newbie

Considering where the Samsung Note 2 is currently at, I'd tell you that the Ipad Mini is already behind right now... And I'm not a Samsung or Android Fanboy, I own an Iphone 5, Macbook Pro 15" Retina, and an Ipad 3...

And I still wouldn't touch an Ipad Mini... And for the individuals who keep on referencing the Ipad 2, here is the difference (You Bought your Ipad 2 a few months/year ago) and not yesterday. And if you did buy your Ipad 2 yesterday then you tried to save a few dollars. Truth be told, I don't believe any apple users can say I bought Apple Product ___ because I tried to save a few dollars. I for one, am not one of those individuals if I was I would have taken a different route all together that doesn't start with (Apple) ....
darkloki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:42 PM   #25
AppleWarMachine
macrumors 6502a

not very, once it gets Retina and a faster chip

iMac; iPad; iPhone; Apple TV...and whatever's next (iWatch)
AppleWarMachine is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad