Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Feb 4, 2013, 04:10 AM   #1
costabunny
macrumors 68020

Send a message via Skype™ to costabunny
Speed up boot time HDD based Air

Well boot time is usually something I care nothing for in OSX (mainly as I need to reboot so rarely).

I have recently been given a rev.A MacbookAir with HDD. The battery is dead so even the slightest disconnection of the power lead causes instant shutdown.

I have taped the magsafe in situ but occasionaly it does trip (also we get the odd micro power cut where I live and I cant afford a UPS).

So my question is what (if anything) can I do to make this little Air boot quicker as currently its a case of turn on - go make coffee - hope its done when I get back

What can be done? any tips here would be great please

I know adding a runcore or other such zif SSD would make a difference but again I have ZERO budget until I am well enough to work again.

“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
costabunny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 06:07 AM   #2
costabunny
macrumors 68020

Ive done the usual verify permissions, remove unnecessary startup items etc. still takes ages - are there system services i can be rid of?

Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:42 PM   #3
kage207
macrumors 6502a

Why don't you get the battery replaced? It's not that expensive on Airs. I mean, battery prices are still up there. Better than the $149 I used to pay with an IBM. :/
http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/15/m...-free-install/
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:57 AM   #4
costabunny
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by kage207 View Post
Why don't you get the battery replaced? It's not that expensive on Airs. I mean, battery prices are still up there. Better than the $149 I used to pay with an IBM. :/
http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/15/m...-free-install/
cant afford to right now

yes oneday I will; but as I said for now I am off work recovering from cancer surgery and am on a grand income of £71 a week. When I get better and back to work I will definitely get a battery for this little gem, and most likely find a deserving new owner for it (who like myself when in need).

for the time being its a mains only beastie - and a godsend it is indeed (just being able to sit comfortably in bed or my easy chair whilst typing, googling, editing webpages etc is amazing).

Old Feb 5, 2013, 05:10 AM   #5
Robyr
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by costabunny View Post
cant afford to right now

yes oneday I will; but as I said for now I am off work recovering from cancer surgery and am on a grand income of £71 a week. When I get better and back to work I will definitely get a battery for this little gem, and most likely find a deserving new owner for it (who like myself when in need).

for the time being its a mains only beastie - and a godsend it is indeed (just being able to sit comfortably in bed or my easy chair whilst typing, googling, editing webpages etc is amazing).
I just want to say congratulations on the surgery, and I hope your recovery is smooth and full! Really cool of someone to give you a machine to recover with, something similar happened to me after I took a header off a bike. People can be wonderful sometimes
Old Feb 5, 2013, 05:13 AM   #6
Macman45
macrumors G5

Quote:
cant afford to right now

I'm guessing you've tried a PRAM re-set too...The problem is that an SMC re-set might help, but you can't do it with a dead battery. I'm short on ideas here really expect to try and keep the thing on as much as possible....Without a battery, a lot of things can't be tested / run. Is it hibernating when left alone?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:20 AM   #7
robvas
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I know adding a runcore or other such zif SSD would make a difference but again I have ZERO budget until I am well enough to work again.
That's your only options. Those 1.8" HD's are super slow.
robvas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:00 PM   #8
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Dumb Q: What does quick boot has anything to do with failing battery?

Answer u already know: No fund = Be Patience.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:02 PM   #9
costabunny
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
Dumb Q: What does quick boot has anything to do with failing battery?

Answer u already know: No fund = Be Patience.
possibly not much (other than system talks to battery) - no the issue was because no battery, if the magsafe is knocked the machine resets and as its a 1st gen slowness it takes ages to get back up and finish whatever I was doing before the power outage

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air