Is there a browser better than Safari?

dopaminedude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:43 PM   #2
grapes911
Demi-God (Moderator emeritus)

I exclusively use Chrome.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:45 PM   #3
SandboxGeneral

"Better" is a subjective term to the user. Regardless, I use Chrome, though I do like Safari too.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:59 PM   #4
7thson
macrumors 6502

I've been using Chrome on my mini and I like it, but it seems to crash too often. I actually prefer it over Safari and I'm hoping the crashing gets addressed in an update.
7thson is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:33 PM   #5
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Safari suits me just fine. You might get better responses OP if you tell us why it is you don't like Safari and what it doesn't do that you need it to.
ucfgrad93 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:21 PM   #6
Piccio
macrumors member

Safari works great. The only thing that I really hate on iPad's browsers it's the lack of text reflow. And yes, I've tryed Atomic, Mercury etc.

If you also use an Android device you should know what I'm talking about, pinch to zoom as much as you need, double tap and it's done. In iOS, "Reader", Aa, etc are not the same and can't be used in everywhere and with Atomic/Mercury sometimes the text overlaps, not the best to see.
Piccio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:24 PM   #7
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thson View Post
I've been using Chrome on my mini and I like it, but it seems to crash too often. I actually prefer it over Safari and I'm hoping the crashing gets addressed in an update.
Remove it and install a fresh copy. I've been using it on the six iPads in our family. It never crashes. Fast, fun & stable it's great.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:38 AM   #8
RevTEG
macrumors regular

I use Safari most of the time. But there are a couple things I wish Safari allowed me to do. Like having the option to go to the desktop site instead of the Mobile version.

When I need the full site I go to my Chrome app and it works great. I actually use that feature often.

I also wish Safari had a single search bar like its desktop big brother. But that's just personal taste. No big deal.

I actually like the look of Safari better. I tend to not like the black blank space to the right of the tabs on Chrome. But agains that's just personal taste. No big deal.

Last edited by RevTEG; Jan 21, 2013 at 09:23 PM.
RevTEG is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:08 AM   #9
pooleman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxosx View Post
Remove it and install a fresh copy. I've been using it on the six iPads in our family. It never crashes. Fast, fun & stable it's great.
Why do you guys prefer Chrome?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:40 AM   #10
Jman13
macrumors 65816

There are lots of pluses and minuses to the iPad browsers.

My favorite browser is Dolphin, though I'm not using it right now because the latest update has a bug which causes it to crash on one of my more visited sites (The Verge). However, I love the ease of which you access bookmarks, the minimal browsing bar, the unified URL and search bar, the quickness of changing settings, etc. It's the most intuitive to use and the fastest to access quick sites.

Right now I'm using Safari until Dolphin updates and fixes that little bug, because it's got quick access to bookmarks via the bookmark bar, plus good tab management (though I hate Safari's multi-page look on the phone, so it's my least favorite phone browser, but it's good on the iPad.) Down sides to Safari are the fact that it often reloads tabs spontaneously, which will often wipe out things I've typed in one tab, and the fact it doesn't have a unified search bar.

Chrome is good, minimal, fast and has good tabs and a unified search bar. However, I just can't use it as my daily driver because I HATE how bookmarks are managed. It is a minimum of two taps to access my bookmarks, plus a third tap to go to it. I quickly get frustrated since I'm used to just swiping from the left to access all my bookmarks in Dolphin.
Jman13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:06 AM   #11
bloutrein
Banned

On my old iPod Touch, I use Safari, as Chrome takes ages to load.

On my new iPhone 5 - Chrome performs wonderfully and is hence my browser of choice. - Tabs, synced bookmarks and currently open pages (between PC and iPhone) is a good feature in Chrome.
bloutrein is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:09 AM   #12
7thson
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxosx View Post
Good idea. It couldn't hurt to try.
7thson is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:30 AM   #13
yegon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleman View Post
I like the idea of Chrome in theory, but no bookmark bar (iPad) and just the icon view of bookmarks (why no list view?) I find really annoying. It's notably slower than Safari too, as all browsers are. Plus, it still disappears the keyboard if you ever try to open it before a page is fully loaded.

I've tried lots of browsers but I always come back to Safari, imperfect though it is. It's not ideal, more that it annoys me the least, with the added bonus that it's the fastest. Also, the lack of default on other browsers (Apple's fault, not third party's obviously) is supremely irritating.
yegon is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:23 PM   #14
AppleRobert
macrumors 68030

Is there a way to adjust font size in chrome like some other browsers?
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:24 PM   #15
Nioxic
macrumors regular

i use chrome

not because the ipad version is better than safari, but because it syncs bookmarks and such, with my pc's chrome.
and the safari windows version is horrible compared to chrome on pc
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:33 PM   #16
ithinkimalion
macrumors member

I prefer Chrome since I use it on my desktop.
ithinkimalion is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:36 PM   #17
Zwhaler
macrumors Demi-God

Atomic Web.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:38 PM   #18
Cobster
macrumors member

If I need flash I use the browser Puffin....
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:45 PM   #19
jstnlzr
macrumors regular

I prefer Chrome
jstnlzr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:08 PM   #20
JPNFRK7
macrumors 6502

I use nothing but chrome on all of my devices. Macbook, iPhone (Jailbroken to make the browser default, and gave it access to JavaScript), iPad Mini, and my Dell Studio Laptop. I like how all the bookmarks go instantly to each without hassle. I could never get this to work in safari, let alone get them to go to my Dell.
JPNFRK7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:33 PM   #21
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopaminedude View Post
Can you give us more information on why you're asking?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:53 PM   #22
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040

If you want to reduce your data usage, get Opera. The browser uses Opera proxy servers which reduce content to make it load faster, use less data, both of which can be important on a mobile device.

My favorite though is Mercury, which has all the features I like and an interface that makes good sense to me.
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:35 PM   #23
kevroc
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleman View Post
I use Chrome on my desktop and laptop as well as the iPad. All of my bookmarks, history and most importantly...logins automatically sync between the devices. The worst thing about browsing on the iPad is hitting a login page and not remembering what it is.

Also, Chrome allows you to open up tabs you may have open on your other devices. So if I'm on a forum or site at my desk, and I leave to go to a meeting, I can pull that up on my iPad later. It is very convenient.

Safari has been able to handle some sites that Chrome doesn't, but it is not very common.
kevroc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:39 PM   #24
kaylerrific
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevroc View Post
I use Chrome on my desktop and laptop as well as the iPad. All of my bookmarks, history and most importantly...logins automatically sync between the devices. The worst thing about browsing on the iPad is hitting a login page and not remembering what it is.

Also, Chrome allows you to open up tabs you may have open on your other devices. So if I'm on a forum or site at my desk, and I leave to go to a meeting, I can pull that up on my iPad later. It is very convenient.

Safari has been able to handle some sites that Chrome doesn't, but it is not very common.
I use Safari for similar reasons. I love how all the bookmarks on my iPad, iPhone and Mac are synced together using iCloud. I also have Chrome installed on my iPad, but I think Safari just looks and feels smoother.
kaylerrific is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:55 PM   #25
pooleman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevroc View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Safari do all these things already?

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad