Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
So I spoofed my app store in order to be able to download Baldur's Gate (which requires ios 6 in order to install) on my iOS 5.1.1 device (some apps just require ios 6 for trivial reasons and work just fine, I just wanted to try)

I was able to download the app, even though it only ended up crashing. (Though I have done it previously on earlier firmwares with success) At least I tried, right? Nope, the app store and itunes store can no longer connect, and I highly doubt there is a fix anywhere out there.

Don't do it unless you only plan on downloading 1 app from now until a jailbreak is out.

Last edited:

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
Yeah that's crap! I only found that problem once, so I'm still keeping my 5.1.1. If there isn't a Jailbreak in the horizon quite soon then I need to jump ship

Siggen

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Oslo, Norway
I was thinking about doing it so I could download Google Maps (spoofing 5.0.1 to show 5.1.1).

It might work, It might not.
Depends on why it is labeled as 5.1.1
It might work fully, it might work partially.
It might crash on launch, it might crash on a specific feature, it might never crash.
Most likely will it crash on launch, do not install content from cydia while you are spoofed.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
usually there is something in that version of IOS in order for the software to run. In most cases the dev is not trying to be a jerk by making it work on fewer ios versions. though it does take some extra effort to make it work in multiple IOS versions. Most spoofing hacks simply spoof the IOS in to stopping the alerts to update your IOS.

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
I was thinking about doing it so I could download Google Maps (spoofing 5.0.1 to show 5.1.1).

Honestly, this might work.

I think the reason mine broke was because I was spoofing iOS 6, which completely overhauled the app store. I have done it before with success (getting an app to work on an earlier firmware than required, in fact, I think it was 5.0.1 to 5.1.1), I just do not recommend going above into the 6 range, cause it messes something up. Not just a matter of the app not working, it beaks your entire app/music stores forever.

Edit: If you do end up trying, be sure to change it back to 5.0.1 ASAP after downloading the app, because screwing around in cydia when it believes you are on a different iOS version is just asking for a restore.

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside

This will probably not work. Usually only spoofing minor 5.0.0->5.0.1 iOS versions work as the APIs are mostly the same. But major iOS versions 5.0->5.1 doesn't as quite a bit changes.

1984world

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2008
Its funny this thread just came out. I tried to do this to my 4s last night and my phone went into endless loops. Spent all day reinstalling apps after re-restoring it to 5.1.1 and still have to do the rejailbreak.......

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
Its funny this thread just came out. I tried to do this to my 4s last night and my phone went into endless loops. Spent all day reinstalling apps after re-restoring it to 5.1.1 and still have to do the rejailbreak.......

I'm gonna be doing this later tonight, ugh. I can't survive without an app store for a month or more, and I have a solid 40+ tweaks to install and respring 1 at a time. Can't wait!

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
Woah, app store randomly fixed itself... Maybe it was the 6.1 update?

Well, it sort of fixed itself.

Only the top apps list, searching by app name, and updates section "work", but none of them have any gaphics other than buttons that say "install" and such, and they are all in the design of the iOS 6 app store, even though i'm on 5.

Edit: After downloading 1 app it reverted me back to the iOS 5 app store and now everything is fine and dandy.

Good on you Apple, you fixed my device.

dma550

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
CT
wow, thanks for this, +cred to you for reporting it. I was a day away from doing this very same thing for the very same app on my JB ipad!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.