Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jdtwyo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
I have my Itunes library on an external hard dive and I am running out of space. I would like "Drobo" like option without the drobo price tag. Anyone ever built a firewire "Drobo" like machine, and care to share how?

Garsun

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2009
I have my Itunes library on an external hard dive and I am running out of space. I would like "Drobo" like option without the drobo price tag. Anyone ever built a firewire "Drobo" like machine, and care to share how?

For RAID 0 and RAID 1 you can try the built-in raid configured by application disk utility found in the applications/utilities folder.

I have not looked for any software RAID for last several years for OS X. However you can Google "Software RAID five OS X" and see what you get.

In any case I am not sure I would trust firewire to maintain any RAID system reliably.

davids8477

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
For RAID 0 and RAID 1 you can try the built-in raid configured by application disk utility found in the applications/utilities folder.

I have not looked for any software RAID for last several years for OS X. However you can Google "Software RAID five OS X" and see what you get.

In any case I am not sure I would trust firewire to maintain any RAID system reliably.

Not sure what you mean by Firewire reliability. I have used one of the following for several years - attached to my IMAC - for Itunes library (music and movies) as well as my iPhoto library. I have it configured as Raid 5 and keep a new drive handy in case - not needed it yet.

It serves music and HD movies to 3 ATV's with any "choking".
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MEQX2KIT0GB/

Garsun

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2009
Not sure what you mean by Firewire reliability. I have used one of the following for several years - attached to my IMAC - for Itunes library (music and movies) as well as my iPhoto library. I have it configured as Raid 5 and keep a new drive handy in case - not needed it yet.

I may have misunderstood the question:(
I thought what he was asking about was attaching several individual FireWire drives and then configuring them into a raid system.

I completely agree with your use of external FireWire Hardware raid Systems and I myself have three of the systems you listed and they work very well.

Otherworld computing also has Duel drive raid 0/raid 1 systems available For what I consider reasonable prices.

Another way to read his questions would be that he wants to create a standalone Drobo type raid system that will connect to his computer using FireWire.
I would not have any idea how to go about doing that. Buying a FireWire hardware raid enclosurer would be just so much easier:)

Cinephi1e

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
Northwest Ohio
I have used one of the following for several years - attached to my IMAC - for Itunes library (music and movies) as well as my iPhoto library. I have it configured as Raid 5 and keep a new drive handy in case - not needed it yet.

I have the same system for many years now. It is attached to a Mac Mini that serves iTunes to all devices. I cannot recommend it enough.

OmegaRed1723

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
The Waste
You're unlikely to find a RAID enclosure with FireWire for less money than a Drobo 4-bay. Most enclosures eschew FW400/800 in favor of USB3 or eSATA. If FW is necessary, I'd look for a used Drobo--they can be had for under $200 (sans drives) if you look around.

Jdtwyo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
Thanks,

the mercury is exactly what I was looking for. I was kind of hoping that I could make one since I have an old pc case and some mismatched drives laying around but this looks like a cheaper option.

ChefJayPeek

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Suburban Texas
Thanks,

the mercury is exactly what I was looking for. I was kind of hoping that I could make one since I have an old pc case and some mismatched drives laying around but this looks like a cheaper option.

Does your old PC case have a mobo and processor in it? IE a working computer? If so, google unraid and see if that may work for you. It is dang easy to setup and works great to store large iTunes libraries on.

Chef Jay

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
If you have old hardware and drives of various sizes (and are tech minded), another option is UNRAID: http://lime-technology.com/home/87-for-system-builders It's not "plug and play" but it's also not too much of a bear to set up. Some people swear by it- and others swear at it- but isn't that just about always the case with just about all tech. The former (group) seems to outnumber the latter.

I own one of the OWC 4-bays myself and it is great. But, all capped capacity devices fill up over time. Solutions like UNRAID and Synology DS2413+ have a lot of upside capacity scale (and both can make use of hard drives of various sizes).

Jdtwyo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
Thanks for the info. After looking at the unRaid, it looks like a good option, but maybe a tad more work than I really want to put in right now. After looking through the forum it appears that most in my situation have moved to a NAS. Now most people look as if they use synology, What about Drobo? it appears you can pick up Drobos on craigslist and ebay fairly cheaply. Any thoughts? Sorry kinda a noob on NAS/Server/Raid thing.

WRP

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Boston
Thanks for the info. After looking at the unRaid, it looks like a good option, but maybe a tad more work than I really want to put in right now. After looking through the forum it appears that most in my situation have moved to a NAS. Now most people look as if they use synology, What about Drobo? it appears you can pick up Drobos on craigslist and ebay fairly cheaply. Any thoughts? Sorry kinda a noob on NAS/Server/Raid thing.

There's a reason everyone gets rid of their drobos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.