Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:10 AM   #1
thefactory
macrumors newbie

Have big budget for a portable macbook pro editing system

Well I've been given a task. Giving a list of what I need to Have a super sweet portable mac book pro editing system.
I've been working with macs for years but I curious on anyone else suggestions.
More than anything what's the newest coolest video in and out box
that either is powered by the laptop or needs power.
And a simple but great HD monitor.
I basically want to be able to pick up and move without having to
unplug a ton of wires.
I figure thunderbolt drive would keep me up to date.
Ok. My budget is...let's say around $15,000 - $20,000.
thefactory is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:42 AM   #2
daybreak
macrumors 6502a

Personally would be inclined to do my own research. As in the end of the day whatever you decide to buy will be the software you understand.
Once you have decided what product might work for you then come back and ask.
Apple software has the knack of behaving very nice at times and other times it can blow you mind off with problems.
daybreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:51 AM   #3
Trixster
macrumors member

it all depends on your needs... what do you need the video in/out box for?
There are plenty of powerfull video capture cards that run both through usb3 and thunderbolt. Im using Black Magic cards myself and find them very reliable. Havnt used thier thunderbolt devices though, but I guess something like this would go well with a rMPB.
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/ultrastudio3d/
Trixster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:19 PM   #4
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

The AJA IoXT I think is the only I/O box that has two Thunderbolt ports and allows ThB pass through. Flanders Scientific makes some very nice monitors that won't break the bank. For $15-$20K you have a lot of options but don't forget about speakers (laptop speakers are obviously very limited and headphones aren't good for mixing audio), travel cases, power strips, an combination UPS/surge protector to plug everything into and maybe even one of those laptop cooling pads/towers if you are going to be doing a lot of render/exporting.

I don't know how portable you want to go but I'd certainly recommend a 2nd computer monitor or at least a full sized keyboard and mouse as editing with the laptop's keyboard and trackpad is doable but limiting (for example, all major editing apps utilize the number pad).
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:54 PM   #5
kohlson
macrumors regular

Well, there's $5K+ for a fully-configured rMBP with Apple Care, TB display, and funky cables. Avid wants $4K for the audio interface. Then there's a reasonable disk array and backup system, control surface, and of course, the video interface. Are you sure $20K's enough
kohlson is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video