Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
I've gone through the defender and commuter cases, and I have to say, the quality of their products is embarrassing.

Do they protect your phone from drops? Yes, I'm sure they do. In every other area, however, otterbox just plain sucks. The defender screen protector adds noticeable lag to all touch screen functions. The home button feels mushy. Texting is a female dog due to the ridiculously high, raised lip.

The rubber lining on the commuter is very floppy and doesn't stay in place, even with the plastic outer shell holding it in place. The power button on top is very hard to use with the rubber lining.

This company has been at this for years. I'm sure they sell hundreds of thousands of cases.

Yet the cases still feel like cheap junk.

Now I understand why you all search and search and search for that elusive 'perfect' case. It's because companies like otterbox spew such unadulterated cheap quality boxes to the masses, there is an inevitable quest for something of quality as an alternative.

More power to you all. I am following in your footsteps now.

Delta438

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2012
Just curious, is drop protection your sole purpose for getting a case? I know Otterbox is somewhat known for that, but there are other less bulky (and ugly) cases that do the job.

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience with Otterbox. However, I'm sure not all companies have bad reputation with build quality of their cases. The people here keep looking for the "perfect case" not because their current one has poor build quality, but they may find that their tastes change over time e.g style to minimalism.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Just curious, is drop protection your sole purpose for getting a case? I know Otterbox is somewhat known for that, but there are other less bulky (and ugly) cases that do the job.

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience with Otterbox. However, I'm sure not all companies have bad reputation with build quality of their cases. The people here keep looking for the "perfect case" not because their current one has poor build quality, but they may find that their tastes change over time e.g style to minimalism.

The only reason I chose otterbox first is because I had heard of them previously. It was an offhand recommendation from a radio shack employee sadly enough.

Having gone through two models, I'm completely stunned that they have a reputation for 'quality'. They have solid reviews on amazon and appear to be a leading brand, as I see these cases everywhere.

No, drop protection is not my sole criterion. It is one factor, but not the only one in choosing a case. I want full, uncompromised functionality of the screen and all buttons as well.

I also don't want the case to look or feel cheap, and both the defender and to a lesser extent the commuter, look sloppy and cheap. The designs seem amateurish. For example, both the plastic and rubber casing on the defender look TERRIBLE. And not with careful inspection. At first glance, it just looks like a really cheap, poorly made case.

On the commuter, the rubber lining flops around and doesn't stay in place. The rubber case doesn't form straight lines, not even with the external plastic case covering it to supposedly keep it in place.

It's a major disappointment.

Now, I have a mercury case as well, which looks nice. It even has the chamfer of the iphone top and bottom. However, it's shortcoming is that it has one large, single cutout on the bottom, which is not ideal.

The belkin candy grip seems like an ok case, as it has custom cutouts on the bottom. Having said that, it also looks like a plain, cheap piece of plastic.

I've already purchased 5 cases, all with high ratings on amazon, and for all of the reasons cited above, each one seems less than ideal. This is part of the beginner's learning curve, but I never anticipated spending so much time and energy trying to track down something as basic and seemingly simple as an iphone case.

Delta438

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2012
Might I suggest the Poetic Atmosphere or the Power Support Air Jacket? If none of those suit your tastes, maybe you should start a thread posting your criteria. I'm sure people would be more than happy to give you suggestions.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Might I suggest the Poetic Atmosphere or the Power Support Air Jacket? If none of those suit your tastes, maybe you should start a thread posting your criteria. I'm sure people would be more than happy to give you suggestions.

Greatly appreciate these suggestions. I really don't have very specific criteria right now, certainly not as specific as more experienced forum members who have had multiple rev. of the iphone and have used many different types of cases.

Right now, ideally I would like

-excellent drop protection

-protection from dirt if possible

-light weight

-a design which allows me to see and enjoy the design of the phone itself.

Right now, I just know the otterbox cases don't fit the bill. Given the huge number of options out there, I'll just keep reading up on the forum and eventually I'm hoping I see something I REALLY like. :)

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina

Poetic Atmosphere is one of the cases I have for my iPod touch. It is a quality case. Looks good, feels good, and fits the device like a glove. What gives? The Atmosphere is one of the "lightweight" non-bulky non-intrusive cases... and as such, it will only provide moderate protection at best.

Poetic Atmosphere is a good choice.... IF you are OK with a case that only gives moderate drop protection. If you are the really clumsy type that tends to drop your phone 5 feet from the air crashing hard into a cement floor... then I suggest you buy something better than a Poetic Atmosphere.

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
Only thing I've really heard about otterbox is make sure you get one manufactured in the US - they have two sources.

I've had nothing but good - sorry your's turned sour.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
I think most people who use iphones are simply not finicky. As long as their phone works, most users don't care about a minor nick or scratch, certainly never look for it, and would quickly move on if they did by chance happen to see it rather than posting on a forum about it?

Having said that, there should be some note by otterbox telling customers that the screen protector should be cleaned on the back to prevent scratching. I think I knew right away it might be an issue, but I was in a rush to get the phone protected, and I figured otterbox was a well known name and problems should be very rare.

It's disappointing when either the design of the case itself, or the soft, malleable finish of the phone, could lead to physical blemishes despite the most cautious handling.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
I agree with the OP, Otterbox is a lot of hype and very little substance. I bought a commuter for my iPhone 5 and it was one of the poorest quality cases I've ever had. The fit was anything but precise and the build quality was embarrassing.

The reason they are so popular is that they are ubiquitous. Anywhere you can buy an iPhone you can usually find an Otterbox presence. The average iPhone buyer could not care less about build quality and fit, they're just happy to leave the store with a case they "think" is the best.

zybersniper

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2013
I've used a lot of Otterboxes but not the ones especially designed for phones. They are good at protecting gadgets in the luggage, but I've mostly heard more bad than good about them here on the forum. That's too bad because I was going to give it a try based on my experience with their other big box cases.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
i like there cases, doesnt mean i think everyone has to like it.

the op tried em, didnt like em, hes entitled to his opinion.

why u trolling me?

I agree. Let's keep it civil guys. We're talkin' 'bout.....cases. (Allen Iverson reference).

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
Got a defender today and am not having any of the problems the op had. Sure they are bulky but new that. Tested my phone in it first.

screen protector is great, compared to lifeproof its brilliant.
home button feels good.
charging port fits the belkin car charger and the apple 30 pin connector.
volume and on and off buttons are good.
not slippery to hold like commuter, has some grip.
fits in my bodit adjustable car holder.

Only negative i see is you have to open the charge port to charge but what else could they do.

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
It seems like you just got a bad case. I have owned otterbox cases in the past and have had no issues. I no longer use their cases because their are thinner cases out there but it's not due to the cases not being quality.

xMClass

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2011
California
Never understood the point of these rugged type Otterbox cases. What exactly do you plan on doing with your phone? Run it over with a Abrams tank? I find them extremely ugly and utterly pointless. Why would you put such a beautifilly designed device into something so... ugly? Normal cases will do just fine protecting your phone. Unless you plan on running your phone over with a vehicle... or throwing it at a brick wall.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Never understood the point of these rugged type Otterbox cases. What exactly do you plan on doing with your phone? Run it over with a Abrams tank? I find them extremely ugly and utterly pointless. Why would you put such a beautifilly designed device into something so... ugly? Normal cases will do just fine protecting your phone. Unless you plan on running your phone over with a vehicle... or throwing it at a brick wall.

I'd say the majority of people are simply not very picky. Not like us, anyway. People on this forum are willing to spend many hours as hobbyists in pursuit of the 'perfect' or at least 'best' case.

Having said that, the ergonomic issues posed by using a defender case seem almost impossible to overlook or ignore, even for people who aren't very selective about cases.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
This is why Otterbox offers a lifetime guarantee on their cases. Keep your receipts and when your case become damaged call customer service and request a replacement. Note: They no longer guarantee the device as they had in years past. Just the case and I believe it is just the Defender and more expensive versions.

ggmissmolly

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2011
Lexington, KY
I think most people who use iphones are simply not finicky. As long as their phone works, most users don't care about a minor nick or scratch, certainly never look for it, and would quickly move on if they did by chance happen to see it rather than posting on a forum about it?

Having said that, there should be some note by otterbox telling customers that the screen protector should be cleaned on the back to prevent scratching. I think I knew right away it might be an issue, but I was in a rush to get the phone protected, and I figured otterbox was a well known name and problems should be very rare.

It's disappointing when either the design of the case itself, or the soft, malleable finish of the phone, could lead to physical blemishes despite the most cautious handling.

Yeah, I guess everybody but you is stupid. I might add that I didn't buy an Otterbox for several reasons that did not fit my needs. I guess some folks learn through experience and others at least try to think ahead. Why not just buy something else instead of ranting on the internet?

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
This is why Otterbox offers a lifetime guarantee on their cases. Keep your receipts and when your case become damaged call customer service and request a replacement. Note: They no longer guarantee the device as they had in years past. Just the case and I believe it is just the Defender and more expensive versions.

I don't see why they don't just change the design of the defender. They should not be putting hard plastic with sharp edges against/adjacent to the soft alloy case.

They should also consider eliminating their 'screen protector' (what a joke). It is stiff and abrasive and clearly does not sit flush against the touchscreen.

People, do yourselves a favor and look elsewhere. Are you really planning on dropping your phone out of a second story window? If not, you don't need the bulk and weight of a defender case and all of the baggage it brings with it, literally.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
Nothing wrong with the screen protector on the defender works perfect. That is coming from someone who hates stick on protectors and will not use them. If you think it is bad try a life proof worst i have had.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Nothing wrong with the screen protector on the defender works perfect. That is coming from someone who hates stick on protectors and will not use them. If you think it is bad try a life proof worst i have had.

I'm using a tech armor screen protector and it is an enormous improvement over the otterbox built-in screen protector. It will take a long time and requires a lot of trial and error to get a 'perfect' alignment, but once it's on, you're good to go for months and months. The touchscreen is extremely sensitive and works just as perfectly as far as I can tell with the screen protector on as it does without.

If it were not for the fact that the first of the 3 tech armor screen protectors was badly scratched, I would rate tech armor 5/5. For the price, it's a fantastic product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.