Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drich290195

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
I have a friend that is jailbroken on 4.2.3 on a 3GS. He has asked me can he update to iOS 6 as some of the apps he uses it now require it. So I'm asking you knowledgeable people is it safe for him to upgrade and if he does what jailbreak does he require and where can this be sourced thanks as always guys.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
He can upgrade to 6.01, it will be a tethered jailbreak though.

If he also needs an unlock using ultrasn0w he'll need to preserve his baseband. GEVEY SIM interposer might not work.

Jailbreak with redsn0w 09.15b3
http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

Drich290195

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
thanks for that so there is no untethered solution for the 3GS also is their anyway he can go to iOS 5 , im having a guess he has no blobs saved or whatever they are

daudi

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2012
I have a friend that is jailbroken on 4.2.3 on a 3GS. He has asked me can he update to iOS 6 as some of the apps he uses it now require it. So I'm asking you knowledgeable people is it safe for him to upgrade and if he does what jailbreak does he require and where can this be sourced thanks as always guys.

before you update, make sure the iphone is factory unlocked. if not then preserve the baseband and then update to retain the unlock.

as far as jailbreak is concerned, the jailbreak for ios 6 is tethered on new bootrom and untethered on old bootrom.

to check this, you can use F0recast by ih8sn0w. you can download the toold from ih8sn0w.com.

the tool will let u know about the status and jailbreak.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
He can upgrade to 6.01, it will be a tethered jailbreak though.

If he also needs an unlock using ultrasn0w he'll need to preserve his baseband. GEVEY SIM interposer might not work.

Jailbreak with redsn0w 09.15b3
http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

Half true, it could be an older 3GS and if so, it may be old bootroom and thus untethered ;)

It's untethered for the old bootrom, tethered for the new.

Exactly, but unlikely.

before you update, make sure the iphone is factory unlocked. if not then preserve the baseband and then update to retain the unlock.

as far as jailbreak is concerned, the jailbreak for ios 6 is tethered on new bootrom and untethered on old bootrom.

to check this, you can use F0recast by ih8sn0w. you can download the toold from ih8sn0w.com.

the tool will let u know about the status and jailbreak.

Eh, just pay $5 for someone online to unlock it. This preserving and messing with basebands is silly nowadays. Unlocking iPhones has become child's play.
basebands

Drich290195

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
hi guys it is locked but thats not a problem the info from F0recast says

jail break yes unlock yes untethered yes

shsh blobs on cydia are 4.1, 5.1.1, 6.0.1

Baseband 5.15.04

is he good to update to ios 6 and jailbreak with the latest redsnow version don't want to tell him to do it and him loose the jailbreak really appreciate your help guys. Also silly question does it mean it will be untethered with this baseband wont that baseband change if he updates and loose the ability to be tethered.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
If it is the old bootrom it will be untethered
with the new bootrom it will be tethered.

as he has SHSH's for 5.1.1 he can always go back to 5.1.1

BB does not effect tethered/untethered, BB effects the unlock

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.