Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:47 PM   #101
TheHateMachine
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzerandchips View Post
Should have executed him, in fact execute all criminals, solves population, tax issues, and makes for a safer place. Simple
You say that now, but what if you were at the wrong place/time and ended up wrongfully imprisoned for some menial crime and are up for execution. Will you sing the same tune then?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:48 PM   #102
AppleFan1984
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by STiNG Operation View Post
The person will end up on the worlds dumbest criminals. He really should have done his research on this one. lmao.
Why should the penalty differ based on the wealth or fame of the victim?
AppleFan1984 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:50 PM   #103
slrandall
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
That's not even cool.... seven years is a lot of time for burglary.... but at least he was caught.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilipH View Post
wow, 7 years jail for that ? You'd have to murder someone in Belgium to get that much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs862 View Post
Seems like a long time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastMinuteMike View Post
Holy **** that's a harsh sentence! Recently this guy shot a 17 year old girl in Sweden, and he was only sentenced to 2.8 years in jail.

I know it's to different penal-systems, but still, the punishment doesn't really seem fit for the crime...

If I didn't know better, I'd say it's because it was Steve Jobs house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoelJuun View Post
Just about to say the same thing as I live in the Netherlands. And the worst thing is that it is no joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM-Prod View Post
Armed robbery and shoot a police man, and you get about 7 years in Norway. A bit on the short side if you ask me, but on the other hand.

7 years for stealing a few consumer items... that's pretty insane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlemil View Post
That's a long time considering how small the penalties for violent crimes sometimes are.
This wasn't his first burglary, nor his first home invasion. 7 is years is a little light; he probably negotiated it down.
slrandall is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:51 PM   #104
chuckd83
macrumors regular

Why doesn't Apple help us track our stolen devices?
chuckd83 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:53 PM   #105
twigman08
macrumors 6502

I think people just need to realize here in the US (actually more than likely most other places also) that our system is not very consistent.

I think 7 years is fine. You don't deserve a slap on the wrist for breaking into someones house and taking that much stuff. It's more also because it wasn't just because he stole the products. It's more because he did break into someones house.

We get very inconsistent in our penalties when it comes to rapist and murders. That is because they can go the "insanity" route and get it more times than not (a fundamental flaw in our system).

Plus I'm willing to bet if he doesn't just act stupid that he'll be out in about 2-3 years based on good behavior. Not to mention he isn't missing much. It isn't like our jail system for these type of people is torture. Even the most criminal insane people get rights protected by the constitution. If it was up to me, if you break the US law and get sentenced to jail time you lose your rights as an American and privileges that every day Americans get. Though that is off topic and not grounds for this topic.
twigman08 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:54 PM   #106
mushroomtip
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnparjr View Post
You forget he'll get out in 2.5-3 yrs on good behavior only federal crimes do you actually serve the full sentence in California for everyday of good behavior he earns a day off his sentence.
don't forget he will most likely get time served as well ,that is if he 's been in jail since he got busted back in July
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:58 PM   #107
Stridder44
macrumors 68040

Quote:
wow, 7 years jail for that ? You'd have to murder someone in Belgium to get that much.
Did anyone read the article?

It says multiple burglaries. This wasn't his first rodeo (and clearly he had no plans to stop).
Stridder44 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:03 PM   #108
HenryDJP
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morshu9001 View Post
Great, paying his debt to society... by putting society further in debt.
This from a person who doesn't even reside in the U.S.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2005 View Post
If he had broken into any other person's home he would not have gotten such a harsh sentence
That's nonsense. You have zero proof of this.
HenryDJP is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:04 PM   #109
Morshu9001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDJP View Post
This from a person who doesn't even reside in the U.S.
The location under my name is a joke from Monty Python. I live in California. This is in the same state where I live.
Morshu9001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:05 PM   #110
STiNG Operation
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleFan1984 View Post
It really shouldn't, but as most people know that's not how it works in life...
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:07 PM   #111
Morshu9001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckd83 View Post
Why doesn't Apple help us track our stolen devices?
Neither Apple nor the cell companies help us find our stolen devices because they want us to buy more. Both of them could help find the stolen products pretty easily. And this also goes for other companies.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleFan1984 View Post
I doubt Steve Jobs had anything to do with the 7 year sentence. This guy is a career burglar. As for the Michael Jackson case... really, the doctor wouldn't be held responsible if it was any regular person.
Morshu9001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:09 PM   #112
Windlasher
macrumors 6502

7 Years

I guess he burgled more than the SJ home, which is probably why he got so much time. He had a storage shed full of stolen crap.
Windlasher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:09 PM   #113
jongriff
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macingman View Post

----------

Find this slightly concerning that apple can just track the location of a device.

The first mention of the most striking park of this report. Found because a member of his household was using iTunes.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:11 PM   #114
HenryDJP
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windlasher View Post
I guess he burgled more than the SJ home, which is probably why he got so much time. He had a storage shed full of stolen crap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stridder44 View Post
Did anyone read the article?
Sigh, doesn't seem to be happening much here.
HenryDJP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:16 PM   #115
osaga
macrumors 6502

Norway shooter Anders Breivik was sentenced to 10-21 years for murdering 77 people.
osaga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:20 PM   #116
Azurael
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDJP View Post
WOW, are you two serious?? A crime is a crime is a crime and the criminal in question didn't do this by accident, nor was he just a victim of circumstance. This was intent. Be honest about it, if someone broke into your home and just took a box of cereal you'd call the feds on him and want the book thrown at him for life because your home was violated and your personal belongings were exposed.

Sadly your responses are most likely due to the fact it was the home of the Almighty independently wealthy Steve Jobs who was the CEO of one of the biggest companies world wide so you probably feel the criminal only deserves a slap on the hand.
Let's face it though. If it hadn't been such a high profile victim, I bet the bloke would have got away with a slap on the wrist. I don't think people are complaining about the sentence so much as the inequality of sentencing dependent upon the victim's fame and fortune.

Perhaps I'm wrong and things are taken a bit more seriously in the US but most of the time in the UK if a 'minor' theft is committed - even home invasion and it wasn't from somebody famous or a massive multinational, the police don't even bother to look into it. My dad's bag got nicked in a club a few months ago, and even though they had CCTV footage of the criminal's unobstructed face from his attempt to use a cash machine, they didn't have the resources to follow it up. So what the feck are we paying for in our taxes? Private security for multinationals and the rich and famous? A massive drugs 'war'? That's the issue.

Of course criminals should be locked up, but what's a criminal anyway? Somebody with a joint's worth of weed? A rapist? A murderer? Somebody who commits massive fraud and throws the whole world's economy into turmoil?
Azurael is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:26 PM   #117
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
That's not even cool.... seven years is a lot of time for burglary.... but at least he was caught.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs862 View Post
Seems like a long time.
Did you read the article. It wasn't just Jobs home he stole from. He had over a half a million in stolen goods from various homes

THAT is why he got 7 years

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyiand View Post
So does this mean Apple has the capability to track stolen Apple devices for customers, but just wont't?
Find my iPhone. Part of the free iCloud service for every device that is on iOS 5 or higher if not still earlier iOS versions.

Im sure Steve would have had it on for his devices, same for his wife. And the cell carriers are legally required to track devices and provide that data to the police with a warrant. If they suspected this guy could be connected to the mentioned string of robberies of course they would get said warrant etc. same thing they would do if you, commoner that you are, was a victim of a suspected serial offender. And you have the same find my access (even on your Mac with certain OS versions)

Apple is not the police which is who you need to go for help. If they say no, that's in them not Apple.
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:26 PM   #118
msimpson
macrumors regular

What about the movie?

Who is going to play Mister McFarlin in the Steve Jobs movie?
msimpson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:31 PM   #119
Truss Wrod
macrumors newbie

He should have done the burglary in the UK. The judge would have called him "courageous" (http://tinyurl.com/am8h2cc) and given him seven hours of community service.
Truss Wrod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:35 PM   #120
unobtainium
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnagy View Post
sends the right message to other criminals. I think the punishment is about right.
I don't think criminals in general receive the message though. The cliche of the criminal mastermind seems to be a bit of a myth. Lots of them are incredibly stupid and never think of consequences, which is how they ended up where they are in the first place.
unobtainium is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:40 PM   #121
einmusiker
macrumors 68020

what a ridiculous sentence. America: where you can be one of two things; Rich or Imprisoned
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:42 PM   #122
KdParker
macrumors 68030

He definately chose the wrong house to steal mac stuff from.
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:42 PM   #123
macsrcool1234
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzerandchips View Post
Should have executed him, in fact execute all criminals, solves population, tax issues, and makes for a safer place. Simple
I am a strong proponent of the death penalty for serious crimes but for theft like this?

What kind of savage are you?
macsrcool1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:43 PM   #124
KdParker
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by msimpson View Post
Who is going to play Mister McFarlin in the Steve Jobs movie?
Or the clown that recieved stolen goods ?
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:45 PM   #125
einmusiker
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsrcool1234 View Post
I am a strong proponent of the death penalty for serious crimes but for theft like this?

What kind of savage are you?
Unfortunately in Am'rica, his viewpoint is shared more widely that we'd like to think. This country IS going to hell

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion