Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:47 PM   #126
phillipduran
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by diazj3 View Post
PTSD, really?!?! as in war PTSD?
PTSD is PTSD. You probably have only heard much about PTSD from cases involving soldiers returning from war. PTSD happens after a traumatic experience, no matter what the cause, war or otherwise.

It's so often talked about in regards to soldiers that I think some people think it is a condition exclusive to war.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:47 PM   #127
theBB
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger8 View Post
I think our prison system needs to be reinvented, you are right. Nowadays it seems like staying, i don't want to say at a hotel, but maybe at a college dorm. They stay in clean well lit well heated prison cells, with meals, some work, and just endless hours of pumping steel at the gym.
What kind of college dorm consists of a basketball court filled with hundreds of people, some quite violent, sleeping in closely packed three level bunk beds? Where do you get your impressions about what a prison looks like?
theBB is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:47 PM   #128
KdParker
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzerandchips View Post
Should have executed him, in fact execute all criminals, solves population, tax issues, and makes for a safer place. Simple
You have got to be joking.
KdParker is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:48 PM   #129
jstnlzr
macrumors regular

Done f with Apple
jstnlzr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:52 PM   #130
unplugme71
macrumors 65816

Sadly in America, the worst crime is Tax Invasion. One agency of the gov you don't want to mess with is the IRS.
unplugme71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:53 PM   #131
macquariumguy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to macquariumguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by theBB View Post
What kind of college dorm consists of a basketball court filled with hundreds of people, some quite violent, sleeping in closely packed three level bunk beds? Where do you get your impressions about what a prison looks like?
No kidding. Then there are the sadistic guards, terrible food, and as a convicted felon his life isn't exactly going to be roses once he's released.

That said, there's nothing lower than a thief. 7 years sounds good to me.
macquariumguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:56 PM   #132
Lennholm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morshu9001 View Post
Neither Apple nor the cell companies help us find our stolen devices because they want us to buy more. Both of them could help find the stolen products pretty easily. And this also goes for other companies.
Not exactly, is the AppleCare advisor just going to trust that the person calling in and want's help finding "his" Macbook is actually the real owner? It could be someone trying to use them to find the whereabouts of a person in a witness protection program or something like that.
That's why Apple never helps customers with stolen products and instead refers them to the police and only track the item if the police warrants them to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestonHarvey1 View Post
Oh wow, that is an incredibly obtuse comment.

It's entirely possible that you'll never sleep through the night again. Imagine having waking nightmares, every night, that are vividly real where you wake to see someone standing over you, but you are paralyzed. You can't move or scream. You hear your children screaming, being murdered by another intruder in the next room.

You wake up in a cold sweat with your heart pounding desperately trying to prove you're *really* awake now and that it was just a dream, and that everyone is OK.

Every night. Try it.

But you're a tough guy, aren't you? Real tough guy. None of that being "traumatized" stuff for you.
Just saying that comparing being traumatized with being murdered is ridiculous, because it is.
Lennholm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:16 PM   #133
righteye
macrumors 6502

Crap photo, taken on an iPhone
righteye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:16 PM   #134
MrDc2
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs862 View Post
Seems like a long time.
He probably has priors.
MrDc2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:17 PM   #135
MagnusVonMagnum
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilipH View Post
wow, 7 years jail for that ? You'd have to murder someone in Belgium to get that much.
If it were yours or my home, he wouldn't have gotten seven years, plain and simple. It's just another example of how laws in this country apply differently to different groups of people. And believe me, some locales around here would get you 5-7 years for murder while in others you'd get life or even the death penalty, depending on whom you are, whom you killed (largely social status) and whether the news made a big deal out of it. Never mind the lawyers trying to win no matter what rather than find the truth/justice. Inequality of justice knows no bounds, it seems.

Meanwhile, you've got people here talking about the death penalty for stealing a used Mac (shakes head). Sometimes I think the education system has truly failed America along with all the parents and theocratic organizations that fail to instill true values like justice that is still weighed with compassion and mercy. Treating others like you'd want to be treated is probably the least considered, yet most deserving wisdom on the planet.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:20 PM   #136
MacMilligan
macrumors regular

Good. People who burglarize have no respect for their fellow man. They deserve to rot.
MacMilligan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:25 PM   #137
Verbatim Cookie
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by osaga View Post
Norway shooter Anders Breivik was sentenced to 10-21 years for murdering 77 people.
From what I recall, he can be imprisoned indefinitely if it is determined he has not seen the error of his ways.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:35 PM   #138
Verbatim Cookie
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipduran View Post
Multiple burglaries. Multiple home invasions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestonHarvey1 View Post
I assume you've never been the victim of a home invasion.
Where does it say he perpetrated a home invasion? A burglary isn't the same thing as what I think most people consider a home invasion.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:36 PM   #139
ProVideo
macrumors 6502

Prisons are our business and business is good.
ProVideo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:36 PM   #140
MrDc2
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastMinuteMike View Post
Holy **** that's a harsh sentence! Recently this guy shot a 17 year old girl in Sweden, and he was only sentenced to 2.8 years in jail.

I know it's to different penal-systems, but still, the punishment doesn't really seem fit for the crime...

If I didn't know better, I'd say it's because it was Steve Jobs house.
Was the girl killed? Was it an accident? Was she shot in the leg or what? 2.8 years for shooting someone sounds a bit lax. I'm not trying to be pointed in my questions... I am genuinely curious
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:37 PM   #141
mslide
macrumors 6502a

Wow. I'm glad to see him behind bars and all but that's way too long just for burglary.

I wonder how long the sentence would have been if the guy robbed some random person's house (i.e. like my house).
mslide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:39 PM   #142
MrDc2
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacquesvw View Post
In South Africa you get 6 months for murder (as long as the victim is a white farmer) and you will probably get 7 years for tax evasion.

Here there is no jail sentence for theft as long as you blame apartheid.
Should blame the lack of Apartheid for all the crime in SA.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:41 PM   #143
Bubba Satori
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by unplugme71 View Post
Sadly in America, the worst crime is Tax Invasion.
One agency of the gov you don't want to mess with is the IRS.
Bubba Satori is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:42 PM   #144
Lennholm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDc2 View Post
Was the girl killed? Was it an accident? Was she shot in the leg or what? 2.8 years for shooting someone sounds a bit lax. I'm not trying to be pointed in my questions... I am genuinely curious
Shot in the face at close distance. Somehow the defense managed to convince the jury that he didn't have intent to kill.
Lennholm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:47 PM   #145
MrDc2
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnparjr View Post
You forget he'll get out in 2.5-3 yrs on good behavior only federal crimes do you actually serve the full sentence in California for everyday of good behavior he earns a day off his sentence.
Yeah Cali is one of those 10% states. The prisons are too crowded. ( lol )

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennholm View Post
Shot in the face at close distance. Somehow the defense managed to convince the jury that he didn't have intent to kill.
Holy....****.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:49 PM   #146
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magrathea View Post
Come on chaps - where are the clown jokes and references .....
Here you go:

The clown took a bite out of the ipad and said:

This tastes funny!
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:52 PM   #147
dona83
macrumors regular

7 years... criminals convicted of manslaughter in Canada sometimes don't get that. Stark comparison, too much justice vs. too little justice.
dona83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:59 PM   #148
pacalis
macrumors 6502

If they really wanted to punish him they should have made him a juror in Apple's next patent infringement case.
pacalis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:05 PM   #149
JAT
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by einmusiker View Post
Unfortunately in Am'rica, his viewpoint is shared more widely that we'd like to think. This country IS going to hell
I think it's the opposite. Far more people are against the death penalty than for it, and the actual laws and number of executions reflect that. Maybe you've been listening to Texas news.....
JAT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:06 PM   #150
MrDc2
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

IDG News Service reports that Kariem McFarlin, the burglar who stole $60,000 worth of Apple products and other items from the home of Steve Jobs' family last July, has been sentenced to seven years in prison. McFarlin entered the home while it was undergoing renovation and stole two iMacs, three iPads, three iPods, an Apple TV, jewelry, and other items.
Renovation work on the Jobs family home in July 2012 (Source: Forbes)
Immediately following the burglary, officials indicated that it appeared to be a random crime of opportunity due to the renovation going on at the house, with McFarlin having been unaware that he was targeting the home of Steve Jobs' family. At the time of his arrest, McFarlin still had a number of the stolen items in his possession, while others had been distributed to friends, including an iPad that made its way into the hands of a local clown.

Article Link: Burglar of Jobs Family's Home Sentenced to Seven Years in Prison
Story credit..?

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion