Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:03 PM   #26
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by edk99 View Post
So my facts aren't as good as your facts? His approval rating for his first term is one of the lowest since WWII (Fact) and not as many people showed up this time for the inauguration then last time (Fact). You did not counter anything.
How about both of your examples are twisting of the truth and we proved that. From the articles it either did better than Bush (fact) and explained why they are so low compared to others like your oh so loved regan.
Rodimus Prime is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:06 PM   #27
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by edk99 View Post
So my facts aren't as good as your facts? His approval rating for his first term is one of the lowest since WWII (Fact) and not as many people showed up this time for the inauguration then last time (Fact). You did not counter anything.

What needs to be countered? Is there any significance to your post? Obama won, a second time, it's now time to get over it.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:06 PM   #28
CaptMurdock
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by obeygiant View Post
Thumb resize.

You have a problem with the redhead in the back?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:16 PM   #29
obeygiant
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMurdock View Post
Nope, but I think she may have found your sense of humor...
obeygiant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:21 PM   #30
Thomas Veil
macrumors 68020

Did anyone else notice this?

Just following the inauguration, NBC showed Obama going into an office to sign some ceremonial paperwork. Biden, Pelosi, Boehner and others were there, and after Obama finished, there was brief applause...except from Boehner, who pointedly stood with his hands at his sides and a dour look on his face.

It wouldn't have killed him to toss in a couple of even half-hearted claps. He looked disrespectful.
Thomas Veil is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:28 PM   #31
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by obeygiant View Post
That photo is extremely funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
Attendance may be down because I heard Obama was confiscating guns today.
It's the price of admission. You must leave your gun at the door to attend.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:41 PM   #32
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Veil View Post

Just following the inauguration, NBC showed Obama going into an office to sign some ceremonial paperwork. Biden, Pelosi, Boehner and others were there, and after Obama finished, there was brief applause...except from Boehner, who pointedly stood with his hands at his sides and a dour look on his face.

It wouldn't have killed him to toss in a couple of even half-hearted claps. He looked disrespectful.
Very nice, Mr. Boehner. Very nice indeed.

I also noted how... serendipitous it was that McConnell had said that it was his job to make sure that Obama was a 1-term president... that he was stuck watching the inauguration from the crowd.

Other than that, anyone catch Obama turning around after the address, and taking in the crowd, as he knows that will never happen again? Very Humbling.. For those not in the know, here's the clip:

BL.
bradl is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:48 PM   #33
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Veil View Post

what do you expect from the GOP. proper behavior??? That is a joke. This is the group willing to trash the world's ecomony for their own petty gains. This is just more proof of how classless they are.
Rodimus Prime is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:52 PM   #34
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

My favorite visual of the proceedings was Cantor's reaction as the poem was being read.

Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:55 PM   #35
obeygiant
macrumors 68040

Thumb resize.

LOL. but to be fair I think the glass is distorting the view of that guy's forehead, just like the guy further right..
obeygiant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:42 PM   #36
Thomas Veil
macrumors 68020

Now, now. Maybe that guy just has a naturally high forehead. It's not unknown, you know.

Thomas Veil is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:44 PM   #37
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
At one point during the Inauguration Day luncheon, President Barack Obama leaned behind his wife to talk with Speaker of the House John Boehner (R-Ohio), who was seated to the first lady's left. When Boehner replied, he tapped Michelle Obama as if to see if she agreed with his response. After a brief back-and-forth between the president and the speaker, the look the first lady gave suggested that she didn't.

Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:56 PM   #38
MacNut
macrumors P6

Only im America can the news find something to report while people are eating.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:45 PM   #39
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Yes, this inaugural ceremony was much smaller: the Rs and the Teabaggers have been screaming about cutting spending, so he decided to oblige them by starting with this.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:28 AM   #40
mudslag
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post
Very nice, Mr. Boehner. Very nice indeed.

I also noted how... serendipitous it was that McConnell had said that it was his job to make sure that Obama was a 1-term president... that he was stuck watching the inauguration from the crowd.

Other than that, anyone catch Obama turning around after the address, and taking in the crowd, as he knows that will never happen again? Very Humbling.. For those not in the know, here's the clip:

YouTube: video

BL.

When he did that on Fox they said "He must be looking for Beyonce"
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:04 AM   #41
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMurdock View Post
There's Bill checking out the view
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:19 AM   #42
Thomas Veil
macrumors 68020

NBC put together a pretty cool panoramic view of the inauguration. Aside from the gigantic crowd, it's kinds fun to scan it and look for the sharpshooters on the rooftops.

And according to The Atlantic, the ceremony was very well attended.

Quote:
An official for today's inaugural ceremonies says 1 million people attended President Obama's second inaugural, according to a pool report filed Monday afternoon. For comparison, 1.8 million attended Obama's first inauguration in 2009, 400,000 attended President George W. Bush's second inauguration in 2005, and 300,000 attended Bush's first inauguration in 2001.
Edit: apparently Twitter was alive with comments about The Hat.
Thomas Veil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:30 AM   #43
obeygiant
macrumors 68040

Photo bomb
obeygiant is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:37 AM   #44
Happybunny
macrumors 65816

It's at moments like this that you catch a glimmer of what America used to stand for to people across the world. A country that you could be proud off no matter what your beliefs were.
I remember when President Kennedy made his famous speech, my father had tears in his eyes as we watched it on TV.
Well watching Obama make his speech I had the feeling that America was becoming that great country again. OK no tears on my part but well a lump in my throat.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:54 AM   #45
mcrain
Banned

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the mention of gay rights, as well as a few references to other struggles.
mcrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:03 AM   #46
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrain View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the mention of gay rights, as well as a few references to other struggles.
I mentioned it!

It was awesome.
Moyank24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:20 AM   #47
mcrain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyank24 View Post
I mentioned it!

It was awesome.
Sorry, I didn't see that. I thought it was really interesting how it wasn't a "name-drop," but a real argument for why equality is an American value. I also liked how he equated the fight for that equality to the fight for men/women equal rights and the fight that MLK and others were a part of. It's an American value, not a Democrat value. It's who we are as a people, not a political football.

From a purely political viewpoint, it was a very effective way of putting the GOP on the wrong side of history if they continue to pursue their homophobic right-wing agenda.
mcrain is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:32 AM   #48
Andeavor
macrumors 6502

^ This makes me wonder what Romney would have addressed had he become the president.

The American people should be glad to have a pioneer such as Obama at their helm because it's about time to make the land of the free actually what it had been promised all along. You cannot speak of equality and freedom when you keep acting elitist and morally superior, I doubt that was what the founding fathers meant with "we the people".
Andeavor is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:06 AM   #49
mcrain
Banned

If you want grins and giggles, go to foxnews.com. It is the morning after the inauguration, and they don't have anything on their front page about it other than the Michelle Obama eye roll. I guess if they don't cover it, it never happened.
mcrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:38 AM   #50
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrain View Post
If you want grins and giggles, go to foxnews.com. It is the morning after the inauguration, and they don't have anything on their front page about it other than the Michelle Obama eye roll. I guess if they don't cover it, it never happened.
To be fair, the coverage has turned into Entertainment Tonight, where the media seems to be more interested in what they are wearing or what was on the dinner menu. It has all become a show more than a part of history.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues