Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:34 AM   #1
Big Byte
macrumors regular

How do I copy and paste files into Time Machine?

I recently upgraded from Lion to Mountain Lion. After doing so, I reformatted my Time Capsule external disk drive and backed up the contents of my computer using Time Machine, which is working fine.

In the past, I did not back up my music files, but directly copied and pasted them into my Time Capsule. But, I forgot how to do that this time around. Does anybody know how to do this? I've tried using shortcuts to copy and paste my music files into Time Capsule, but the paste function won't work. I've tried using the options in the menu bars, but the paste function still won't work. Any ideas? Thanks.
Big Byte is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:51 AM   #2
Bear
macrumors G3

Why are you not using Time Machine to backup the Music files?

I have my music backed up vie Time Machine and in general if my system is mostly idle, a backup uses 25 MB of space.

If I play music, the file that holds the play counts gets updated so that's a few megs more, not much additional space. And what if you add more music, now you have to remember to backup the music and the iTunes catalog.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:05 PM   #3
Big Byte
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
Why are you not using Time Machine to backup the Music files?

I have my music backed up vie Time Machine and in general if my system is mostly idle, a backup uses 25 MB of space.

If I play music, the file that holds the play counts gets updated so that's a few megs more, not much additional space. And what if you add more music, now you have to remember to backup the music and the iTunes catalog.
On my old laptop, which only had 80g of space, I would use the Time Capsule to store my music files, which were accessed by iTunes from the Time Capsule. This allowed me to clear up space on my laptop. Even though I don't necessarily need the space (my new laptop has 750g of space), I would still like to set it up the way I did with my old laptop). Adding music was never a problem, as I simply directed the new music files to be stored on my Time Capsule.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:07 PM   #4
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
Hmmm...

You're running a huge risk of losing your data by using a backup drive for more than just backup.

Just some hopefully helpful advice.
tdhurst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:04 PM   #5
Big Byte
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhurst View Post
You're running a huge risk of losing your data by using a backup drive for more than just backup.

Just some hopefully helpful advice.
I didn't know that. Any idea why?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:06 PM   #6
old-wiz
macrumors 604

Not to mention you should have at least two backups. I actually have three; an external disk with time machine and SuperDuper plus two separate externals that get SuperDuper backups and I rotate one into a fireproof safe.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:13 PM   #7
Big Byte
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post
Not to mention you should have at least two backups. I actually have three; an external disk with time machine and SuperDuper plus two separate externals that get SuperDuper backups and I rotate one into a fireproof safe.
Yeah, I'll be buying another hdd for further back-up. I like the Elements one, it's 1T, small, portable, can be stored away and only needs a USB slot (no power cord).
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:46 PM   #8
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
Okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Byte View Post
The more you access a drive, the shorter its life is going to be.

Now, this isn't a reason NOT to use hard drives as little as possible, but I like my backup drives to be as clean as possible just to prevent any drive errors or early failure.

I may be paranoid, but backups are sacred to me.
tdhurst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:50 AM   #9
Dave Braine
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Because if your Time Capsule fails, you've lost your music and your backup. As you've got 750Gb on your Mac now, I'd put your music back on to your Mac and use Time Capsule for what it's designed for.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:26 AM   #10
Big Byte
macrumors regular

Ok, I think I'll buy another external hard disk drive and use it as a secondary backup device. I like the one that the technician used when he upgraded my laptop to Mountain Lion. It's made by Elements, it's small, holds 1T and does not require a power cord. On top of it all, it's relatively cheap. Thanks for the input everyone.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help