Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:06 PM   #1
designs216
macrumors 65816

Recommended PC?

Friends and family will often ask for PC hardware recommendations and though Dell drove me back to Apple years ago, I haven't the foggiest idea what Windoze box is actually good. So the question is, if you had to buy a PC, which one would you choose? If your answer varies for laptop vs. workstation, please differentiate.
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:09 PM   #2
dtexan
macrumors newbie

I would recommend Lenovo products they are built really well. Dell is not bad but I know there laptops feel cheap imo.
dtexan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:09 PM   #3
DerfBWH
macrumors regular

Either Acer or ASUS, hands down. The other guys don't hold a candle to them, unless you're willing to spring for something like a Falcon Northwest or the sort. Lenovo is also decent.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:28 PM   #4
Briax
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerfBWH View Post
Either Acer or ASUS, hands down. The other guys don't hold a candle to them, unless you're willing to spring for something like a Falcon Northwest or the sort. Lenovo is also decent.
Are you honestly suggesting Acer? You can't even compare Acer to ASUS or Lenovo.. IMO.. I've tried several Acer Laptops, after half a year, to a year they broke down. These were NOT the super cheap laptops. Every single person I know who've had an Acer laptop had problems within the first year. I would definitely go with a Lenovo or an ASUS laptop - price is decent and quality is top notch!

EDIT: reading your comment again, I am not quite sure if you mean workstations or laptops. I have no experience with pre-build workstations so I can't comment on that.

EDIT2: As for the Asus I mean the Zenbook line! You can get those in 13" and 15" now! Otherwise, stick with Lenovo's thinkpad series!

Last edited by Briax; Jan 21, 2013 at 04:40 PM.
Briax is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:27 PM   #5
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerfBWH View Post
Those two aren't the worst (Dell and Sony tie for WORST) but they certainly aren't anywhere near the best in terms of quality, performance and price. Lenovo is hands down the best. ThinkPads are used exclusively in many Fortune 500 companies. I also see them here at Intel. HP is a close second. But stay away from Dell, Sony, Acer and Asus. Those represent the lowest end with Dell and Sony bottoming out that list.

Back to the OP, if I had to buy a Windows machine, I'd buy a Lenovo. But try to avoid their IdeaCentre, IdeaPad lines. The ThinkPad, ThinkCentre lines are much better.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:40 PM   #6
glenthompson
macrumors Demi-God

I used IBM/Lenovo laptops for work for many years and never had a failure. These were all business class models, not the consumer ones.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:00 PM   #7
thehustleman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by designs216 View Post
Friends and family will often ask for PC hardware recommendations and though Dell drove me back to Apple years ago, I haven't the foggiest idea what Windoze box is actually good. So the question is, if you had to buy a PC, which one would you choose? If your answer varies for laptop vs. workstation, please differentiate.
If I was buying a pc I'd buy an imac.

If I was going to buy a windows box it would have to have a great cpu with windows 7
thehustleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:11 PM   #8
shoulin333
macrumors 6502a

For a laptop anything in the ThinkPad line at Lenovo is pretty good. Just make sure to help them choose something with at-least an i5 and a screen with a decent resolution (i.e. not 1280 x 800)

For a desktop, if they have a decent monitor/keyboard/mouse have them get a Mac Mini base model. That is a good price for mac or pc. If they only want to use windows you can install bootcamp for them and then you can get them to use OSX little by little for things windows can't do until one they they will stop booting into Windows.
shoulin333 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:50 PM   #9
mslide
macrumors 6502a

Lenovo ThinkPad. That's what I'd have if I wasn't into Macs.
mslide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:54 PM   #10
Renzatic
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard2008 View Post
Those two aren't the worst (Dell and Sony tie for WORST) but they certainly aren't anywhere near the best in terms of quality, performance and price. Lenovo is hands down the best. ThinkPads are used exclusively in many Fortune 500 companies. I also see them here at Intel. HP is a close second. But stay away from Dell, Sony, Acer and Asus. Those represent the lowest end with Dell and Sony bottoming out that list.
Acer? Yeah. They've always been sort of a middling brand to me. But Asus? Nooo. They produce some of the best computers money can buy...so long as you stay away from their lower end offerings. I've been buying computers and components from them for years, and they've never let me down. Any of their $600+ machines are about as solid as you can ask for.

But I'll back you up on Lenovo. They make some great stuff.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:54 PM   #11
keysersoze
macrumors 68000

I really like my Lenovo T400 Thinkpad I use at work. A couple of years old, but if I had to get a PC laptop today, I'd spring for a T430. I love the matte screen and 14" is perfect imo.

keysersoze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:58 PM   #12
Quad5Ny
macrumors 6502a

Intel NUC, for $299 it's a really neat of hardware. Although you have to add a SSD, RAM and Wireless card...hmm maybe its not such a good deal after all.
Quad5Ny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:14 PM   #13
designs216
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briax View Post

EDIT: reading your comment again, I am not quite sure if you mean workstations or laptops.
I wanted people to reflect good experiences with either form factor, although it seems like the thread currently addresses portables.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:28 PM   #14
Weerez935
macrumors regular

Lenovo, toshiba, or Samsung.

With the others I would only by business models:
Lattitude, elitebook etc
Weerez935 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:40 PM   #15
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
Dell, Lenovo... The trick is, don't buy consumer brands, buy the business brands - Vostro, Latitude, or ThinkPad.

----------

Quote:
I wanted people to reflect good experiences with either form factor, although it seems like the thread currently addresses portables.
My point still stands. A Vostro desktop is much nicer than an XPS system, and without the bloatware.
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:25 PM   #16
phrehdd
macrumors 68000

There are several makers of decent workstations and laptops. The Lenevo used to be an IBM product but now is ENTIRELY a CHINESE company that has stated it wants to dominate the market entirely. While it is sad that American companies use China labor instead of home based, it is even sadder if Americans buy from Lenevo given their mission and their ability to dilute the market.

There are plenty of workstations and laptops that rate well and more than comparable to a Lenevo product. - and of course, one can always dual boot a Mac.

While I use a Mac presently, I love the flexibility of the PC world and for workstation, I have from DOS days always built my own as I knew what was exactly in it that was to my specs.
phrehdd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:31 AM   #17
designs216
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrehdd View Post

While I use a Mac presently, I love the flexibility of the PC world and for workstation, I have from DOS days always built my own as I knew what was exactly in it that was to my specs.
I greatly admire folks with the know-how to build their own and it probably screams for a fraction of the cost. I'm not smart enough however to bring together compatible components that will play nice together and the folks that are asking me just want a no-fuss dependable PC.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:36 AM   #18
Yebubbleman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
If laptop, then Asus or Lenovo

If desktop, then build your own
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:27 AM   #19
Umbongo
macrumors 601

Quote:
I greatly admire folks with the know-how to build their own and it probably screams for a fraction of the cost. I'm not smart enough however to bring together compatible components that will play nice together and the folks that are asking me just want a no-fuss dependable PC.
If you want no fuss then buy a business desktop from HP, Dell or Lenovo, or consumer one from a local store. They can be the easiest to deal with returns and part replacements.

AVA direct are another alternative here as they are a major vendor. http://www.avadirect.com/

If you want performance and no fuss then go with a workstation.

If you want the best value yet also good gaming performance then you need to look at one of the online custom PC builders like ibuypower, can find others just by searching for ibuypower alternatives.

If you don't mind paying more for quality support and service then there are boutique builders like Puget Systems, Maingear and Origin PC.
Umbongo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:34 PM   #20
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
Acer? Yeah. They've always been sort of a middling brand to me. But Asus? Nooo. They produce some of the best computers money can buy...so long as you stay away from their lower end offerings. I've been buying computers and components from them for years, and they've never let me down. Any of their $600+ machines are about as solid as you can ask for.

But I'll back you up on Lenovo. They make some great stuff.
No. They don't make any of the best computers money can buy. Lenovo? Yes. Their X1 carbon. Their entire ThinkPad lineup except for the Edge (which is still better than competition but not the "best" money can buy).
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:09 PM   #21
Renzatic
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard2008 View Post
No. They don't make any of the best computers money can buy. Lenovo? Yes. Their X1 carbon. Their entire ThinkPad lineup except for the Edge (which is still better than competition but not the "best" money can buy).
Who makes the best laptops is entirely subjective, but that doesn't change the fact Asus makes some of the better machines out there. The Zenbook actually outpace the MBAs in some regards (now that they've fixed their janky touchpads). I'd consider them some of the best ultrabooks around.

Their G series laptops run cool, have tons of power, and are solidly built. You want power in a (relatively) thin package, they're the ones to get.

They even made some of the better netbooks back during their heyday.

Asus is hardly what I'd consider a budget brand. Though I will once again back you up on Lenovo. You really can't go wrong with one of their higher end laptops.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:37 PM   #22
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic;16706859[B
]Who makes the best laptops is entirely subjective[/B], but that doesn't change the fact Asus makes some of the better machines out there. The Zenbook actually outpace the MBAs in some regards (now that they've fixed their janky touchpads). I'd consider them some of the best ultrabooks around.

Their G series laptops run cool, have tons of power, and are solidly built. You want power in a (relatively) thin package, they're the ones to get.

They even made some of the better netbooks back during their heyday.

Asus is hardly what I'd consider a budget brand. Though I will once again back you up on Lenovo. You really can't go wrong with one of their higher end laptops.
Take your own advice. You're arguing with me and claiming that it is subjective at the same time.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:45 PM   #23
Renzatic
In Time-Out

Right. Excuse me for trying to start up a dialog here, and argue the pros and cons of certain laptop manufacturers in a civil manner.

...some people.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:52 PM   #24
-jc
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejadedmonkey View Post
Dell, Lenovo... The trick is, don't buy consumer brands, buy the business brands - Vostro, Latitude, or ThinkPad
This. Go for the business models that any popular brand produce, and they are usually better. Lenovo ThinkPads especially that I have recommended to customers of mine in the past and they've been very happy with them.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:29 PM   #25
Brimah
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by -jc View Post
This. Go for the business models that any popular brand produce, and they are usually better. Lenovo ThinkPads especially that I have recommended to customers of mine in the past and they've been very happy with them.
I am also looking into a PC, but looking at the business models, cant find one with a dedicated graphics card. Been leaning towards the Lenovo Ideapad Y580, but is a consumer laptop, not business. Am I overlooking a version? Want to have the ability to do some gaming (Not expecting Ultra settings or anything, just med-high).
Brimah is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice