Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wombat Slayer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
Any ideas/guesses when the late 2012 27" iMacs will start showing up on the refurbished page?

I understand they will only appear as units become available, but I've never waited for a refurbished Mac before, so I don't know what to expect the turnaround time to be. 13" Retina MBPs took only 4 months, but that's apparently rather quick.

I have some flexibility on the timing of my purchase, so I'm ok waiting it out, but not if it's going to be like 8 months... Thoughts?

Wombat Slayer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
Ready to buy...

Well, still no refurbished late 2012 27" iMacs available yet, but since I first posted, I've saved up enough to purchase one (I need it May 1). Do I,

1. Wait until early April and just buy new?
  2. Wait until late April and hope the one I want shows up refurbished?
  3. Buy new in early April and cancel the order if a refurbished one shows up?
Would welcome any suggestions. If I can save $400 by buying it refurbished, I'd love to.

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City
Well, still no refurbished late 2012 27" iMacs available yet, but since I first posted, I've saved up enough to purchase one (I need it May 1). Do I,

1. Wait until early April and just buy new?
  2. Wait until late April and hope the one I want shows up refurbished?
  3. Buy new in early April and cancel the order if a refurbished one shows up?
Would welcome any suggestions. If I can save $400 by buying it refurbished, I'd love to.

Since you've got the cash in hand, I'd be looking at the refurb section daily to see if they show up, and be ready to jump on it once they do. If you are getting a stock iMac, you can bide your time as shipping dates have improved dramatically.

Even if one shows up AFTER you've purchased yours, you have 14 days after you've received your product to send it back for refund/exchange.

I did this when I purchased a 2008 iMac from the refurb store. Between the time I purchased a 2007 iMac refurb and the day I got it, Apple announced the 2009's and the prices on the 2008's plummeted. I was able to get a 2008 refurb with better specs for the same price as a 2007 refurb the week before. I had already gone through the return process (calling customer service, having them email me a return shipping label with FREE return shipping, etc.) and when my 2007 arrived I slapped the return label on it and handed it right back to the FedEx guy. A week later my 2008 refurb arrived. No questions asked, easy peasy.

Wombat Slayer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
Since you've got the cash in hand, I'd be looking at the refurb section daily to see if they show up, and be ready to jump on it once they do. If you are getting a stock iMac, you can bide your time as shipping dates have improved dramatically.

Yeah, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't checking the refurb page daily. :)

I'll be ordering mine with a 1 TB Fusion drive and a 680MX, so I'll still need to deal with the longer shipping times.

Do you know if returning/exchanging would be more complicated if I had Apple Care on the first machine?

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City
I'm not sure how you handle Apple Care on a returned product. However, you CAN wait up to 1 year before buying Apple Care and still get the 3 year warranty. What you give up is telephone support after 90 days if you don't buy Apple Care until the end of the first year. So you could wait up to 90 days to buy Apple Care and still have the exact same coverage for the first 90 days.

The Monkey

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2006

I'll be ordering mine with a 1 TB Fusion drive and a 680MX, so I'll still need to deal with the longer shipping times.

Do you know if returning/exchanging would be more complicated if I had Apple Care on the first machine?

Not sure how much this will help, but I recently had my late 2012 27" iMac swapped out for a new machine due to a logic board failure. I was told at the Apple Store that I need to call AppleCare and they will either (a) transfer AC to the new machine or (b) refund my initial purchase of AC and give me the option to buy AC for this new machine.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

If you had AppleCare on the first machine, exchanging is no big deal. You just call Apple and give them the old and new serial numbers and they deal with it. AppleCare takes the original purchase date of the first computer, though. If the exchange was within 30 days (it should be), Apple can reset the AppleCare to the date of the exchange. Yes, 30, not 14 days.

Wombat Slayer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
Murphy's Law

Well, time is running out. I need to purchase my iMac (new or refurbished) by Monday the 15th, and there are still no 27" 2012 iMacs on the refurbished page.

I am still hoping against all odds that my dream machine will show up refurbished at the 11th hour so I can save $400, but it's looking less and less like it's going to happen.

The most likely scenario is that I'll buy it new, enjoy it for 3 days, and THEN they'll show up refurbished. Murphy's Law for buying Apple products.

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
Well, time is running out. I need to purchase my iMac (new or refurbished) by Monday the 15th, and there are still no 27" 2012 iMacs on the refurbished page.

I am still hoping against all odds that my dream machine will show up refurbished at the 11th hour so I can save $400, but it's looking less and less like it's going to happen.

The most likely scenario is that I'll buy it new, enjoy it for 3 days, and THEN they'll show up refurbished. Murphy's Law for buying Apple products.

I wouldn't hold your breath on seeing the 2012 27" iMacs in the Refurb store anytime soon. They were on very short supply for months so there just enough. If want a 27" iMac you will probably have to buy new or continue waiting but I don't think you will see them in the next 30 days. However who knows I could be very wrong.

mushroomtip

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012

if that happens ,you have the option to return your new machine and order the refurb .

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008

bagelche

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Western Mass.
Was waiting to buy again since I returned my first one...$2199 for the high end version. Still $240 less than what I can get it at w/ education discount. Add to cart

That's a nice one right there. I got an email from refurb.me a little while ago that the fusion 27" iMacs were out. I wish I could swap out our 4-month old 2011 model, but oh well.

MARKO65

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2008
DOA Refurb 27 iMAC

Any ideas/guesses when the late 2012 27" iMacs will start showing up on the refurbished page?

I understand they will only appear as units become available, but I've never waited for a refurbished Mac before, so I don't know what to expect the turnaround time to be. 13" Retina MBPs took only 4 months, but that's apparently rather quick.

I have some flexibility on the timing of my purchase, so I'm ok waiting it out, but not if it's going to be like 8 months... Thoughts?

My refurb 3.4 i7 iMAC showed up today NO VIDEO AT ALL...it's going back not happy at all with the support i have been getting in this matter. I'dthink long and hard before i got a refurb late 2012 iMAC. I have purchased lots of refurbs from them this was a disappointment QC was not watching out so good this time.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
I also ordered one today. Decided on 27" 1tb fusion, 8gb, 680mx - all together came up about 200-300 less then brand new with education discount. I also ordered additional mem to bring total to 24gb. Very excited about getting my first mac - it should be a blast compared to my previous desktops/hackintoshes.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
My refurb 3.4 i7 iMAC showed up today NO VIDEO AT ALL...it's going back not happy at all with the support i have been getting in this matter. I'dthink long and hard before i got a refurb late 2012 iMAC. I have purchased lots of refurbs from them this was a disappointment QC was not watching out so good this time.

You got unlucky. That's all. Get a replacement.

AgRacer

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2011
I also ordered one today. Decided on 27" 1tb fusion, 8gb, 680mx - all together came up about 200-300 less then brand new with education discount. I also ordered additional mem to bring total to 24gb. Very excited about getting my first mac - it should be a blast compared to my previous desktops/hackintoshes.

How are you guys ordering extra memory? When I see the refurbs it gives me the option to "add to cart" and that's it. No way to add fusion drives or extra memory.

??????

zackkmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Denver
How are you guys ordering extra memory? When I see the refurbs it gives me the option to "add to cart" and that's it. No way to add fusion drives or extra memory.

??????

They most likely picked a configuration equipped with the fusion drive, then ordered the memory sticks separately. I don't think Apple offers a 24GB option new or refurbished so that would have to be bought somewhere else.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City

??????

You cant customize refurbs , they are what they are. Every possible configuration will be listed as a different model when available for purchase.

Red Fuji

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2012
USA-Pacifc Standard Time

i didnt know Apple does educational discount on Refurb. iMac Ed. discount on 'New' is set at $100 i believe-correct me if i am wrong.

zackkmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Denver
i didnt know Apple does educational discount on Refurb. iMac Ed. discount on 'New' is set at $100 i believe-correct me if i am wrong.

You're correct. There is no education discount on refurbs. But they were just stating that the cost of a brand new one with the educational discount applied was more expensive than the cost of the refurb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.