Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:29 PM   #1
AlabamaSlammer
macrumors 6502

Upgrading home network

Need some advice on upgrading my home network. My current router (Netgear) keeps dropping the 5ghz network and sometimes the 2.4ghz network. The 5ghz will maybe run for 24 hours before it drops.

My new modem is the Motorola SurfBoard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem - Retail Packaging - White (amazon)

Now I need some advice on a router. My new home is a little over 1600 sq ft and I am looking at the Airport Extreme 802.11N (5TH GEN) and http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008HO9DIG (NETGEAR Wireless Router - AC 1200 Dual Band Gigabit (R6200)..

I'm open to suggestions on the router choices..
AlabamaSlammer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:30 PM   #2
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
I'd recommend the AirPort Extreme. It's easier to setup, maintain and change settings. Also, you get better support if you have any problems. I personally have Netgear routers but if I had the choice and the money, I'd get AirPort instead.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:36 PM   #3
glenthompson
macrumors Demi-God

I use an Airport Extreme for wireless but use a separate router due to house geography. The contractor supplied wiring in the house made it much easier to put the modem, router, and VoIP in the garage. However it was a bad place for good reception in the house. I put the Airport in the middle of the house connected with Ethernet to the router and get excellent reception anywhere in the house - 2000 sq ft with basement. Wireless has been rock solid. I never have it drop out.

The router supplies qos for the phone service. It's a dlink that I picked up cheap as a backup and had to press into service when my Linksys died.

The only objections I have to the Airport is lack of qos and only 4 Ethernet ports (3 LAN & 1 wan). Most routers supply 4+1. I have to use some switches to connect all the othe gear.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice