Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jul 2, 2014, 06:03 PM   #1
Freezekitty
macrumors newbie

Mavericks & Outlook 2011 Calendar Sync Inabilities

So I use a windows PC at my office for work but love macs and osx and bought a mbp to use when I work from home. The connection @ our office is very slow therefore using a vpn isn't the most ideal way. We use GMAIL (google sync/google app) for our e-mail and with mavericks killing outlook sync I can no longer sync my calendar to outlook 2011 for mac.

I'm fine with using a separate calendar app but the one gripe, necessity I need is for me to be able to attach document and files to my calendar entries. Does anyone know of a calendar app that I could use which will allow me to open my calendar items and allow me to drop documents into it?

Thank you!
Freezekitty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:57 AM   #2
mjt57
macrumors member

This apppears to be one of those problems that neither Microsoft nor Apple wish to fix.

I too have a similar thing. I migrated to Apple (Mac Mini, Macbook Air, iPad and iPhone) over the past two years, leaving behind some reliable and loyal Windows and Android hardware.

I've given up trying to find a solution to sync the calendars across all devices and with Outlook.

On the Mac (mini and laptop) I use Thunderbird with the calendar add-ons. They sync to my Google Calendar account. The iPhone and iPad calendar apps natively sync to GCal, so that's never been a problem.

I used to use a Google supplied util called "Google Calendar Sync" to sync my Outlook 2010 installs on the PC and laptops to GCal. Worked well, but no longer supported, but still can be used. No MacOS equivalent, unfortunately. If there was I'd be using Outlook 2011 for Mac.

I understand that maybe Office 365 may do what you need if you set up an Outlook.com account. But not sure.
mjt57 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2014, 04:19 PM   #3
campyguy
macrumors regular

Not exactly an "app", I use the paid version of Fluid ($5) for my sole remaining Google account. I don't need desktop notifications for my Gmail/GCal accounts as I have an iPhone & iPad for that.

I created a Fluid web app for my Google account, which signs into my Gmail and GCal - and frees me to add an event and add attachments to those events. It's not as pretty as a special app, but IMO Gmail/Gcal are best implemented in Google's web interface, with their continually "moving" or "changing" sync protocols breaking app synching for me over the years - a major PITA!

I think that one can use just the free version of Fluid, which syncs cookies with Safari. I wanted the web app to keep cookies separate from Safari, which is available only in the paid version - worth every penny for me! I've got Fluid web apps for my Netflix accounts, Gmail account, Weather Underground accounts. The only accounts Fluid doesn't play nice with so far are my iCloud accounts.
campyguy is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store