Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:45 PM   #1
TSE
macrumors 68030

Windows on iPad

I don't have a laptop and always wanted an iPad but figured I would let it mature before I bought one.

I have a question though. Is there a way to run Microsoft office through a web browser or app? And is there a way to run an old windows 98 game an an iPad? I know programs such as onlive exist but do they let you run any game you install?

Thanks!
TSE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:31 PM   #2
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030

No, the iPad is just like an iPhone in terms of what you can run. It's either coded in the App Store or it's unavailable.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:46 PM   #3
Airforcekid
macrumors 65816

Yes its possible just download the onlive desktop app its free to use for basic word and excel use.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:02 PM   #4
TSE
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforcekid View Post
Yes its possible just download the onlive desktop app its free to use for basic word and excel use.
what about for installing and running windows games?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:08 PM   #5
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSE View Post
what about for installing and running windows games?
In its current state, on live only let's you use office apps. I think they are working on a gaming solution though from past reports I've read
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:15 PM   #6
TSE
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
In its current state, on live only let's you use office apps. I think they are working on a gaming solution though from past reports I've read
thanks for the info duke.... Is there any way to run a windows 98 game on iPad currently?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:46 PM   #7
Gotoma
macrumors member

If you have a decent Internet connexion then just use team viewer to access your home computer from your iPad.
Gotoma is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:53 PM   #8
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSE View Post
thanks for the info duke.... Is there any way to run a windows 98 game on iPad currently?
If you want a tablet that runs Windows desktop programs, then perhaps you should look into Windows 8 (full Win8, not RT).
Night Spring is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:00 PM   #9
danpass
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotoma View Post
If you have a decent Internet connexion then just use team viewer to access your home computer from your iPad.
Yep (I was thinking PocketCloud rdp)
danpass is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:43 AM   #10
kevink2
macrumors 6502a

I would have my doubts that games would work too well remotely on an iPad.
kevink2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:55 AM   #11
Solomani
macrumors 68000

Wasn't Microsoft hinting in the past several months of coming out with Office apps for the iPad? Anyone hear any progress on that?

EDIT: oh I found my answer here.....

Microsoft Holding Back Office for iPad

http://mashable.com/2012/06/06/micro...fice-for-ipad/
Solomani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:58 AM   #12
TWO2SEVEN
macrumors Demi-God

I lot of games are being or have been remade for the iPad. Might be worth it to check out the app store for any games you are wanting to play.
TWO2SEVEN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:48 AM   #13
960design
macrumors 6502a

The free CloudOn App will give you the free Windows Office applications for your iPad that you are looking for. I've found the connectivity to be a little less than desirable, meaning that the connection to the cloudon server times out too often for any real use.

I prefer to use Pages, Numbers, Keynote.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:54 AM   #14
Giuly
macrumors 68040

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
What's wrong with iWork for iOS?
Thumb resize.

Just get a keyboard case, and you should forget about Office within 5 minutes.
Giuly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:13 PM   #15
Buckeyestar
macrumors 6502a

Ugh! I don't want Windows on my laptop, I'd certainly not want it on my iPad.
Buckeyestar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:06 AM   #16
ZZ Bottom
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyestar View Post
Ugh! I don't want Windows on my laptop, I'd certainly not want it on my iPad.
OP didn't ask for Windows on the iPad...

---

To the OP, if and when we finally get a jailbreak there are a number of options. I have the iDos app (was temporarily available on app store) which I have added several old Windows games in and have run successfully. What games are you specifically looking to play? Perhaps I can locate a copy and test for you.

As for Office, I do concur with others that Pages offers a capable alternative and is compatible with Word documents. If you are looking for a no-compromise full Office experience, your best bet is to use OnLive or setup your own PC with Office on it for RDP. I've used LogMeIn Ignition and iTeleport remotely for this type of stuff. And if you're within the same wifi network as your PC then Splashtop 2 is by far the slickest and best performing app for controlling your Mac/PC.
ZZ Bottom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:47 AM   #17
guitarmandp
macrumors 6502

If you get something like splashtop you will be able to use your windows computer on your iPad and run office.
guitarmandp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:53 AM   #18
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

The long rumoured Office 365 client should launch on iOS sometime this year (hopefully).
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:27 AM   #19
ScottNWDW
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to ScottNWDW
Another vote for the iWork suite. I've been using Numbers and Pages instead of Excel and Word and it's nice to have them automagically sync across all my devices. (iPad, iPad mini, iPhone, MacBook). The more I use them the less I think about using Excel and Word.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:58 AM   #20
TSE
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ Bottom View Post
OP didn't ask for Windows on the iPad...

---

To the OP, if and when we finally get a jailbreak there are a number of options. I have the iDos app (was temporarily available on app store) which I have added several old Windows games in and have run successfully. What games are you specifically looking to play? Perhaps I can locate a copy and test for you.

As for Office, I do concur with others that Pages offers a capable alternative and is compatible with Word documents. If you are looking for a no-compromise full Office experience, your best bet is to use OnLive or setup your own PC with Office on it for RDP. I've used LogMeIn Ignition and iTeleport remotely for this type of stuff. And if you're within the same wifi network as your PC then Splashtop 2 is by far the slickest and best performing app for controlling your Mac/PC.
Age of empires 2.... Specifically... If it's quick enough to play with a mouse
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:17 AM   #21
ZZ Bottom
macrumors 6502a

I haven't downloaded the files for AoE 2 to test because I've read on a couple threads regarding iDos and Dospad and they seem to struggle with games that new. Some claim Warcraft 2 works and others not so much.

I think ultimately the lack of mouse would make AoE 2 on iPad more frustrating then fun. There are on the other hand many games from that era that rely much more on keyboard only.

Honestly if you are really looking for a touchscreen + tablet form device, but absolutely want to run legacy games then your best off with a Windows 8 tablet like the Samsung ATIV Smart PC or Lenovo Tablet 2. These run atom processors which exceed the expectations of legacy software and MS Office, also offering long battery life, fanless cooling, and thin/light form. Having tested some of these devices I still opted for an iPad knowing what I would miss out on, so I wouldn't blame you for doing the same. But don't fool yourself that the iPad will fulfill all your expectations. It simply won't.
ZZ Bottom is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad