Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Timzer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
Well for those of you hoping to see the Galaxy S4 at this years MWC, you can now officially stop hoping. Sammy's head of mobile division has confirmed that the GS4 will not be unveiled at MWC. Not a real shocker, but a confirmation to put the rumors to rest nonetheless.

Source

But the new Galaxy Note 8 inch will be there.

Source

MuffCabbage

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
Note bigger than Tab?

Isnt it just a Tab with a phone component at that point, not their "best of both"?

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Samsung is leading and shifting the industry toward larger and larger screens. It's paid off big time. PUN INTENDED.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Samsung is really losing its innovative edge, milking its past model for all it is worth, releasing features slowly in order to keep their profits up. :rolleyes:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Samsung is really losing its innovative edge, milking its past model for all it is worth, releasing features slowly in order to keep their profits up. :rolleyes:

From their point or view why bring out the S4 now when the S3 is selling so well?

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
From their point or view why bring out the S4 now when the S3 is selling so well?

I was kidding but also trying to make a point. Apple is often accused of drip-feeding their customers. I think this is in part due to the number of Android phones released and the pace at which they have been developed. Perhaps now were are seeing signs that Samsung is reaching the same impasse that Apple has reached: That the costs of engineering the Next Big Smartphone makes it difficult to churn out new models.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I was kidding but also trying to make a point. Apple is often accused of drip-feeding their customers. I think this is in part due to the number of Android phones released and the pace at which they have been developed. Perhaps now were are seeing signs that Samsung is reaching the same impasse that Apple has reached: That the costs of engineering the Next Big Smartphone makes it difficult to churn out new models.

Yeah I think Samsung realises bringing out a new phone every year is the way to go.. No need to bring one out before they already released an already successful one. It's selling so well no need to really..

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011

Except they come more feature-rich and offer many screen options already. They also update faster (inside their yearly cycle) and with more features than what stock Android offers. They're also producing multiple phones throughout the year for different markets and tiers.

I'm no big Samsung fan but they're hardly resting. And now they're going after business.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Except they come more feature-rich and offer many screen options already. They also update faster (inside their yearly cycle) and with more features than what stock Android offers. They're also producing multiple phones throughout the year for different markets and tiers.

I'm no big Samsung fan but they're hardly resting. And now they're going after business.

Samsung clearly doesn't have a smartphone strategy, other than throwing a multitude of models against the wall, spaghetti-style, to see what sticks. They're just fortunate that they're a large enough company with deep enough pockets that they can have some success with that.

Imagine Samsung with the focus of Apple! That would be a behemoth, nearly unstoppable.

Timzer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
Samsung clearly doesn't have a smartphone strategy, other than throwing a multitude of models against the wall, spaghetti-style, to see what sticks. They're just fortunate that they're a large enough company with deep enough pockets that they can have some success with that.

Imagine Samsung with the focus of Apple! That would be a behemoth, nearly unstoppable.

Well if we were to accept your opinion that Samsung is seeing what sticks, then that in itself would be a strategy.
But my opinion would be that they are having more than "some success" as you put it. And they obviously do have a strategy that is more than just seeing what sticks. They have only one high end device the GS3, they created a niche that others are now following, The Note series. Then they have all their different low to mid end devices. If they were just throwing things out there, then you wouldn't have just the GS3 as they high end smartphone. You would have things like the HTC OneX, OneX+, DNA. That's what I call seeing what sticks.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Note bigger than Tab?

Isnt it just a Tab with a phone component at that point, not their "best of both"?

There is a note 10.1 already. I dont think the note 8.0'will have phone funtion. The note branding has got to do more with the stylus it uses.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Well if we were to accept your opinion that Samsung is seeing what sticks, then that in itself would be a strategy.

I did qualify that in my post by saying "other than".

But my opinion would be that they are having more than "some success" as you put it. And they obviously do have a strategy that is more than just seeing what sticks.

Can you show us that strategy?

They have only one high end device the GS3...

What makes the GS3 higher end than the HTC OneX? Please offer details in function and design and marketing.

...If they were just throwing things out there, then you wouldn't have just the GS3 as they high end smartphone.

You need to be more specific as to why you think the Galaxy S3 is a higher-end smartphone than the Note 2.

If you're okay with a spaghetti strategy...

Like them or their products or not, Apple has tremendous focus in its smartphone strategy.

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
To be honest with the S3 still selling really well, is there a direct need for them to show the S4 just yet. Why not wait and let their competitors reveal first, and then come out with the S4 reveal just after and trump them ?

This used to be the 'apple philosophy' once, but the paradigm has shifted.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
To be honest with the S3 still selling really well, is there a direct need for them to show the S4 just yet. Why not wait and let their competitors reveal first, and then come out with the S4 reveal just after and trump them ?

Well thats unlikely given apple will likely bring their next phone out in june with all signs pointing to the S4 being released in april/may time.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
But my opinion would be that they are having more than "some success" as you put it. And they obviously do have a strategy that is more than just seeing what sticks. They have only one high end device the GS3, they created a niche that others are now following, The Note series. Then they have all their different low to mid end devices. If they were just throwing things out there, then you wouldn't have just the GS3 as they high end smartphone. You would have things like the HTC OneX, OneX+, DNA. That's what I call seeing what sticks.

You may of called the original note a niche device but the note 2 is selling MILLIONS. And its just a large phone with more functions. Its not a niche narket and Thats why everyone is copying them. But I do agree with the rest of your points. If all that samsung was doing was setting what sticks then they have hot tbe jackpot but I think a bit of clever and hard work went on there at some stage

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I'm fine its not at MWC. Just the the iPhone, its too important and deserves its own press and events.

Meanwhile, scrubs like HTC can waste their time showing off their flag ships at the large show, but we all know the S4 is going to be a huge launch and will outsell every other Android

Sammy just needs to hurry up. I have my upgrade ready :)

----------

They're doing fine. They basically only concentrate on their flagships now (Galaxy S and Note). Sure, they have a bunch of BS cheap models, but what company doesn't these days? Even with all those random models, I bet the Note and Galaxy Sx series outsell the other models

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006

Samsung hasn't done this yet, so no paradigm has shifted.

----------

Sure, they have a bunch of BS cheap models, but what company doesn't these days?

Apple. :)

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Can you show us that strategy?

Galaxy branding.

The Galaxy S saw such success, they've taken to calling most of their new devices that.

There's like 50 Galaxy phones now: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy

The Galaxy line has transformed Samsung from a nobody to the most popular smartphone maker on the planet.

----------

Rumours are for April this time around

Samsung's own slides showing various screens indicate it will probably come out in Q1 2013, so that points to March latest.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Selling nearly 3 year old devices classifies as cheap devices.

In your mind, perhaps. The build quality and parts going into those "3 year-old" iPhones are the same as they were from 3 years ago. If they're cheaper now it's because the cost of them have been reduced because Apple has moved onto newer parts for their current phone.

The capability of said phones is the same in hardware, and have received the same OS upgrades as the current phone.

Not the same thing as Android makers releasing new phones with low-cost parts out of the gate.

----------

Galaxy branding.

The Galaxy S saw such success, they've taken to calling most of their new devices that.

There's like 50 Galaxy phones now: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy

The Galaxy line has transformed Samsung from a nobody to the most popular smartphone maker on the planet.

As the iPhone has done for Apple in smartphones.

Samsung will only be able to push the Galaxy branding for so long before it collapses under the sheer weight of its SKUs.

It's only a matter of time. What will they do to stave off irrelevance??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.