Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wormy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2002
I was just wondering if anyone thinks the to-be-released powermacs will have a superdrive that burns DVDs at 4x as opposed to 2x?

And while were on the subject...when the hell is the new powermac line-up gonna be announced?! This is torture.

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
well pioneer does have a 4x dvd-r drive so it's only a matter of time, but what do you mean when's the next powermac update, there was one recently with a whole new case! how often do you people need new computers?????

wormy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2002
well by new lineup i just meant updated processor speeds...i'd like to get a dual 1ghz at the current 867mhz price. am i dreaming?

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
Why not screw pioneer entirely and go with something worth paying for like the DVD+R ?

DVD-R vs DVD+R

It seems way better than DVD-R, the drives can even write DVD-R aswell.

I was going to post this is a seperate topic but why bother.

From what I've read on this page about DVD-R, with the right application running on a fast mac you could record straight from firewire to DVD+R, they're like a cross between a huge capacity floppy disc and a hard drive except you don't have to format them before you record to them.

Pioneer might have made the first affordable DVD writers but it doesn't mean apple have to stick to DVD-R when DVD+R is clearly better.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Originally posted by wormy
well by new lineup i just meant updated processor speeds...i'd like to get a dual 1ghz at the current 867mhz price. am i dreaming?

Updates to the PowerMac line are usually in the 5-6 month range, so I wouldn't expect anything by way of new PowerMacs until January at the earliest...

Jimong5

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Originally posted by barkmonster
Why not screw pioneer entirely and go with something worth paying for like the DVD+R ?

DVD-R vs DVD+R

From what I've read on this page about DVD-R, with the right application running on a fast mac you could record straight from firewire to DVD+R, they're like a cross between a huge capacity floppy disc and a hard drive except you don't have to format them before you record to them.

Pioneer might have made the first affordable DVD writers but it doesn't mean apple have to stick to DVD-R when DVD+R is clearly better.
DVD+R is a silly format.. there is something that that site fails to mention. DVD-R is the earlier echnology, and was adopted by more player companies. This translates to 99% of DVD players are able to play DVD-R media, compared to significantly less for DVD+R

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Originally posted by Hemingray

Updates to the PowerMac line are usually in the 5-6 month range, so I wouldn't expect anything by way of new PowerMacs until January at the earliest...

and Jan is hopeful...... But didn't SJ say during an expo that 'the
new machines coming out in January' wont be able to boot in OS
9? So doesn't that kinda prove machines will come out in Jan?
I hope some do. ;)

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles

DVD-R vs DVD+R

No offense, but I wouldn't got a site called "dvdplusrw.org" to get a reliable evaluation of the +/- formats.

"-" plays in more set top DVD players than "+" and since I enjoy making DVDs that people can watch using their set top DVD players that's all I care about. :)

Lethal

PeteyKohut

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2002
Earth
Originally posted by medea
well pioneer does have a 4x dvd-r drive so it's only a matter of time, but what do you mean when's the next powermac update, there was one recently with a whole new case! how often do you people need new computers?????
More than twice a year would be nice. And...its not so much how often, but what kinda upgrade we get. The last revision saw a 250 MHZ increase. Not good enough for me!

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by Hemingray

Actually PowerMac updates have been:

PowerMac Jul 2000
PowerMac Jan 2001 (6months)
PowerMac Jul 2001 (6months)
PowerMac Jan 2002 (6months)
PowerMac Aug 2002 (7months)

I do not expect powermac updates at MWSF.

arn

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
Originally posted by scem0

and Jan is hopeful...... But didn't SJ say during an expo that 'the
new machines coming out in January' wont be able to boot in OS
9? So doesn't that kinda prove machines will come out in Jan?
I hope some do. ;)

Steve didn't say 'The new machines', he said 'new macs', meaning any model purchased after January 1. A irreversible hardware update in each machine will keep them from booting into OS 9. So, technically, the whole apple lineup will be "updated" on January 1.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by RBMaraman

Steve didn't say 'The new machines', he said 'new macs', meaning any model purchased after January 1. A irreversible hardware update in each machine will keep them from booting into OS 9. So, technically, the whole apple lineup will be "updated" on January 1.

He wasn't so specific... nothing will happen to each machine on Jan 1.

Press Release: starting in January 2003, all new Mac models will only boot into Mac OS X as the start-up operating system.

All NEW. That means the current machiens that are shipping will ALL continue to boot OS 9 when they are still shipping in January.

All NEW machines introducted after Jan 1, 2003 will only boot OS X. So, the Powerbook will boot OS 9 until there is a new version released... which is likely a number of months away.

arn

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
I think it's the confusion of steve saying "All the new models of macs that we introduce, including faster versions of the current models after january 1st will only boot into mac OS X" (Exact Wording) at the paris expo that's made people think they'll be new macs in january.

It's anyone's guess if that means there'll be faster macs in january or whether the transition to OS X only booting is in january and steve's refering to faster models to be introduced after january.

I'd hope they move to at least a 1, 1.2 and 1.4Ghz lineup if they're going to upgrade the macs, now the 7455 only supports a 150 or 167Mhz FSB at the very least we should get the same motherboard on all new models if they're going to stay with the 7455 for another revision anyway but that could happen at any time rather than in january so I'm not holding my breath.

otzenaj

macrumors newbie
Apple has been doing well with the "think different" (ed why in the world do they use poor grammar for a marketing gimmik) and if it were up to me, Apple should just do both "standards".

Check out the Sony model herehere.

<marketing blurb>
Sony's Internal DVD±RW Drive
DRU500A
Sony takes the risk out of buying a DVD recorder by bringing all the popular formats into a single drive. The amazing new DRU-500A burns DVD-R/-RW, DVD+RW/+R, and even CD-R/CD-RW </marketing blurb>

When this becomes available, my new powermac may have a substitute drive.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Originally posted by arn

Actually PowerMac updates have been:

PowerMac Jul 2000
PowerMac Jan 2001 (6months)
PowerMac Jul 2001 (6months)
PowerMac Jan 2002 (6months)
PowerMac Aug 2002 (7months)

I do not expect powermac updates at MWSF.

arn

Yes, but let's not forget:

PowerMac G3 233 - November 1997
PowerMac G3 300 - March 1998 (4 months)
PowerMac G3 333 - August 1998 (5 months)
PowerMac G3 B/W - January 1999 (5 months)

I was including an average of all relatively recent G series PowerMacs, not just the G4's. But this brings up an interesting pattern here: Ever since the introduction and eventual switch to the G4 the refreshes have been fewer and farther between. Wonder why...? ;)

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
On January 1st... Everyone's Apple Computer will, all at once, never boot into OS 9 again. It is built into OS X. You better run to the store, get gas masks, lots of canned food and build a shelter immediately.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
I believe Apple called it a superdrive in the first place 'cos it can write to all DVD and CD formats. That's not the case anymore unless they switch to a drive that can handle DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, CD-R and CD-RW.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
Everything that Steve says at the Expo's i highly scripted so its doubtful he'd let something slip like: 'January 1st new powermacs.' That said, there can be speculation that due to history (when was the last time we didnt get a new powermac in january?) and the comment that 'starting January 1st new machines wouldn't boot into os9' that we may in fact get them. Why January 1st? Why not, 'starting in 2003.'
I'm sure we're all just grabbing at straws, but damn... a dual 1667GHz sure would be sweet. :D

pantagruel

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2002
here and there
I believe Apple called it a superdrive in the first place 'cos it can write to all DVD and CD formats. That's not the case anymore unless they switch to a drive that can handle DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, CD-R and CD-RW.
that would be pointless because the business needs to be set on a standard instead of working with all possible formats, dvd-r is the most universal so it's the best choice.

Arcady

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2002
Lexington, KY

It never wrote DVD-RAM. It can't even read DVD-RAM. And Apple has never said their drives could write DVD-RW (even when they can) because they have the option to switch manufacturers any time they want. Not all SuperDrives are Pioneers. And the drive in the new PowerBooks won't write DVD-RW, even though the bare drive from the manufacturer will. They didn't even bother to write firmware that supported it, since they don't tout DVD-RW as a feature.

The funny part to me is this name SuperDrive. I think of a floppy drive that can read/write 400k/800k/1.4mb Mac disks, plus 720k/1.4mb PC disks, and even ProDOS disks from my Apple II!

Apple needs to stop recycling old names. How long til we get a tablet called the StyleWriter? :p

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
This is why I would stay away from the SuperDrive TiBook. It is at 1X for one... and, until there is a standardized format, it isn't worth bothering with.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Originally posted by JSRockit
This is why I would stay away from the SuperDrive TiBook. It is at 1X for one... and, until there is a standardized format, it isn't worth bothering with.

DVD-R is a standard format. It work's in almost every DVD player made to date. Including the first generation DVD players.

DVD-R is to DVD as CD-R is to CD.

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Originally posted by Bear

DVD-R is a standard format. It work's in almost every DVD player made to date. Including the first generation DVD players.

DVD-R is to DVD as CD-R is to CD.

I understand...and agree that if I was going to grab one...it would be DVD-R...but why are other companies trying to push other DVD formats if DVD-R has been established as THE format.

My biggest problem is that the TiBooks is 1X. Once it gets to 4X, I'll get a superdrive.

Blackcat

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2002
Cirencester, UK
Originally posted by JSRockit

I understand...and agree that if I was going to grab one...it would be DVD-R...but why are other companies trying to push other DVD formats if DVD-R has been established as THE format.

My biggest problem is that the TiBooks is 1X. Once it gets to 4X, I'll get a superdrive.

I have a 4x, and 90% of the media will only burn at 1x anyway. Plus, even on my Ti800 preparing the video takes hours, another 60minutes to put it on disc is nothing.

If you want a Superdrive Powerbook, you might as well get one now - 4x slot loaders might be a long long way off.

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Originally posted by Blackcat

I have a 4x, and 90% of the media will only burn at 1x anyway. Plus, even on my Ti800 preparing the video takes hours, another 60minutes to put it on disc is nothing.

If you want a Superdrive Powerbook, you might as well get one now - 4x slot loaders might be a long long way off.

Yeah...I understand...but I am not in a hurry to get a superdrive is what I should have said. I like it's storgage capacity...and if I ever do buy a video camera...it could be cool... but I am just not in a hurry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.