Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:48 PM   #1
clrdfortakeoff
macrumors newbie

A1429 for A1428???

I bought a on contract Verizon model iPhone 5, which is factory unlocked on November 20th, then I cancelled contract so I can go back on T-Mobile. I am back on T-Mobile, everything working perfect, except for the fact that 2 months later, I find out T-Mobile will release LTE on Band 4, which is basically 1 of the 2 bands that aren't on the iPhone 5 Verizon A1429 model. The AT&T A1428 Model has the Band 4. I was wondering if there is ANYWAY I can swap or switch them.. I tried to call AppleCare they said they can't because 30 days are up. the phone is basically NEW. I've used it with a back and a front screen protector and a heavy duty otterbox case. this is really ticking me off, having a LTE Compatible phone, and T-Mobile releasing LTE Advanced speeds up to 2GBPS, and I can't use it. Is there anyway?? I can switch it for a AT&T Model Locked, I wouldn't mind, I can buy the factory unlock from eBay. Is there any possible way I can get the AT&T Model, without risking selling on eBay or Craigslist and buying a new one. Thanks!
clrdfortakeoff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:54 PM   #2
Shadow%20Mac
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Shadow%20Mac
Quote:
Originally Posted by clrdfortakeoff View Post
I bought a on contract Verizon model iPhone 5, which is factory unlocked on November 20th, then I cancelled contract so I can go back on T-Mobile. I am back on T-Mobile, everything working perfect, except for the fact that 2 months later, I find out T-Mobile will release LTE on Band 4, which is basically 1 of the 2 bands that aren't on the iPhone 5 Verizon A1429 model. The AT&T A1428 Model has the Band 4. I was wondering if there is ANYWAY I can swap or switch them.. I tried to call AppleCare they said they can't because 30 days are up. the phone is basically NEW. I've used it with a back and a front screen protector and a heavy duty otterbox case. this is really ticking me off, having a LTE Compatible phone, and T-Mobile releasing LTE Advanced speeds up to 2GBPS, and I can't use it. Is there anyway?? I can switch it for a AT&T Model Locked, I wouldn't mind, I can buy the factory unlock from eBay. Is there any possible way I can get the AT&T Model, without risking selling on eBay or Craigslist and buying a new one. Thanks!
Neither Apple of Verizon will help you with that. If I remember correctly, T-Mobile will start carrying the iPhone soon. Perhaps they will be willing to swap it for you? Their customer service is friendlier than most.

Your best bet, however, is either selling the device, or looking for someone in a similar situation willing to trade using a self sale website like eBay or Craigslist
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:08 PM   #3
clrdfortakeoff
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow%20Mac View Post
Neither Apple of Verizon will help you with that. If I remember correctly, T-Mobile will start carrying the iPhone soon. Perhaps they will be willing to swap it for you? Their customer service is friendlier than most.

Your best bet, however, is either selling the device, or looking for someone in a similar situation willing to trade using a self sale website like eBay or Craigslist
is there anyway there can be hardware modifications to maybe remove band 3 from the phone and add band 4?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:36 PM   #4
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
is there anyway there can be hardware modifications to maybe remove band 3 from the phone and add band 4?
Are you serious now?
Its nowhere near as easy or simple to just swap frequency bands on a baseband chip.

----------

Quote:
If I remember correctly, T-Mobile will start carrying the iPhone soon. Perhaps they will be willing to swap it for you? Their customer service is friendlier than most.
Listen to what you're saying.
No matter how nice the customer service is no carrier does that. Take another carriers cellphone and just swap it out with one that works on theirs.
Applejuiced is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:42 PM   #5
clrdfortakeoff
macrumors newbie

[QUOTE=Applejuiced;16702742]Are you serious now?
Its nowhere near as easy or simple to just swap frequency bands on a baseband chip.[COLOR="#808080"]

----------

Haha, I know it can't be simple, but if it can be done.. I want to know how or if I can do it at a local phone fixing place. T-Mobile is releasing LTE Advanced like I already said, 2GB Speeds, of course thats theoritcal, but I just can't miss out on LTE you know.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:52 PM   #6
j.dstasio
macrumors 6502

About the only options I can think of are:

Sell the Verizon model & buy an A1428 iPhone straight out
Or
Find someone locally on craigslist that is willing to trade you (likely with a bit of cash on your end).
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:03 PM   #7
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

[QUOTE=clrdfortakeoff;16702793]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Are you serious now?
Its nowhere near as easy or simple to just swap frequency bands on a baseband chip.[COLOR="#808080"]

----------

Haha, I know it can't be simple, but if it can be done.. I want to know how or if I can do it at a local phone fixing place. T-Mobile is releasing LTE Advanced like I already said, 2GB Speeds, of course thats theoritcal, but I just can't miss out on LTE you know.
Lol
Yep, its something that cannot be altered or changed.
No repair place will be able to change the LTE bands like that.
The easiest way and what would make sense is sell it and use the money to get one for the carrier you're planning on using it on.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:57 PM   #8
Agent-P
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Neither Apple of Verizon will help you with that. If I remember correctly, T-Mobile will start carrying the iPhone soon.
I was under the impression that rumours were saying the next iPhone (5S/6) would have T-Mobile bands. But they could just release another iPhone 5 model mid product cycle with the correct bands (as they did with the Verizon iPhone).
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:15 AM   #9
apollo1444
macrumors 65816

I want to trade mine! nah I'm kidding lolz
A1428 is the best model as it is compatible with LTE in canada, mexico and it will for the rest of the americas
apollo1444 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:26 PM   #10
clrdfortakeoff
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo1444 View Post
I want to trade mine! nah I'm kidding lolz
A1428 is the best model as it is compatible with LTE in canada, mexico and it will for the rest of the americas
As far as I'm concerned the A1428 model only works on AT&T and T-Mobile LTE in the US, and Canada, maybe in Mexico and the rest of the americas, but isn't that weird, AT&T Model has LTE Bands 4, 17. Verizon/Sprint Model has LTE Bands 1, 3, 5, 13, 25 and it works on those two carriers, minor carriers like Straight Talk, they run from Verizon network, mostly all of Europe, Asia, Africa, and the Middle East. Why couldn't apple just add these 2 extra bands to the A1429 Model to make ONE Universal LTE Device? Wouldn't that cost them less than making more than one model?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:29 PM   #11
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned the A1428 model only works on AT&T and T-Mobile LTE in the US, and Canada, maybe in Mexico and the rest of the americas, but isn't that weird, AT&T Model has LTE Bands 4, 17. Verizon/Sprint Model has LTE Bands 1, 3, 5, 13, 25 and it works on those two carriers, minor carriers like Straight Talk, they run from Verizon network, mostly all of Europe, Asia, Africa, and the Middle East. Why couldn't apple just add these 2 extra bands to the A1429 Model to make ONE Universal LTE Device? Wouldn't that cost them less than making more than one model?
Very good point.
I think the reason they make all these different models is to try to save money by putting different LTE baseband chips for different continents and also adding or removing CDMA capabilities to places sold that dont require that tech.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:52 PM   #12
clrdfortakeoff
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Very good point.
I think the reason they make all these different models is to try to save money by putting different LTE baseband chips for different continents and also adding or removing CDMA capabilities to places sold that dont require that tech.
I think it is because of this CDMA technology, you wouldn't use CDMA on the A1428 for AT&T of course. BUT.. why couldn't it be like the 4S, CDMA+GSM in one phone, it would encourage people to buy the iPhone. I am sure I would love it if just ONE DEVICE, one iconic device will work anywhere I go, on LTE, 3G or 2G, CDMA or GSM. It would be a great device for travelers or pilots. One Device to work virtually ANYWHERE on ANY NETWORK.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:26 PM   #13
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

I hear you.
I think it's the greedy carriers fault for all this bs IMO.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:22 PM   #14
macingman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Quote:
I think it is because of this CDMA technology, you wouldn't use CDMA on the A1428 for AT&T of course. BUT.. why couldn't it be like the 4S, CDMA+GSM in one phone, it would encourage people to buy the iPhone. I am sure I would love it if just ONE DEVICE, one iconic device will work anywhere I go, on LTE, 3G or 2G, CDMA or GSM. It would be a great device for travelers or pilots. One Device to work virtually ANYWHERE on ANY NETWORK.
Apple doesn't make the chips. Could just be the chips available on the market didn't support what Apple needs.

The devices do work anywhere though. They just don't work on all LTE networks.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:44 PM   #15
Cingular
macrumors regular

What city do you live in op? If its not a major city then it will take a while for tmobile to roll out LTE.
Cingular is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:57 PM   #16
clrdfortakeoff
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cingular View Post
What city do you live in op? If its not a major city then it will take a while for tmobile to roll out LTE.
I live in Los Angeles, doesn't really matter now, I won't get LTE on my Verizon model iPhone 5
Old Feb 1, 2013, 07:45 PM   #17
Cordwinder
macrumors newbie

[/COLOR]To OP

write to this email and we Can talk about a possible swap
Poul.thomsen@live.dk
Cordwinder is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone