Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clrdfortakeoff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2013
USA
I bought a on contract Verizon model :apple: iPhone 5, which is factory unlocked :) on November 20th, then I cancelled contract so I can go back on T-Mobile. I am back on T-Mobile, everything working perfect, except for the fact that 2 months later, I find out T-Mobile will release LTE on Band 4, which is basically 1 of the 2 bands that aren't on the iPhone 5 Verizon A1429 model. The AT&T A1428 Model has the Band 4. I was wondering if there is ANYWAY I can swap or switch them.. I tried to call AppleCare they said they can't because 30 days are up. the phone is basically NEW. I've used it with a back and a front screen protector and a heavy duty otterbox case. this is really ticking me off, having a LTE Compatible phone, and T-Mobile releasing LTE Advanced speeds up to 2GBPS, and I can't use it. Is there anyway?? I can switch it for a AT&T Model Locked, I wouldn't mind, I can buy the factory unlock from eBay. Is there any possible way I can get the AT&T Model, without risking selling on eBay or Craigslist and buying a new one. Thanks!

varunsanthanam

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2007
California
I bought a on contract Verizon model :apple: iPhone 5, which is factory unlocked :) on November 20th, then I cancelled contract so I can go back on T-Mobile. I am back on T-Mobile, everything working perfect, except for the fact that 2 months later, I find out T-Mobile will release LTE on Band 4, which is basically 1 of the 2 bands that aren't on the iPhone 5 Verizon A1429 model. The AT&T A1428 Model has the Band 4. I was wondering if there is ANYWAY I can swap or switch them.. I tried to call AppleCare they said they can't because 30 days are up. the phone is basically NEW. I've used it with a back and a front screen protector and a heavy duty otterbox case. this is really ticking me off, having a LTE Compatible phone, and T-Mobile releasing LTE Advanced speeds up to 2GBPS, and I can't use it. Is there anyway?? I can switch it for a AT&T Model Locked, I wouldn't mind, I can buy the factory unlock from eBay. Is there any possible way I can get the AT&T Model, without risking selling on eBay or Craigslist and buying a new one. Thanks!

Neither Apple of Verizon will help you with that. If I remember correctly, T-Mobile will start carrying the iPhone soon. Perhaps they will be willing to swap it for you? Their customer service is friendlier than most.

Your best bet, however, is either selling the device, or looking for someone in a similar situation willing to trade using a self sale website like eBay or Craigslist

clrdfortakeoff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2013
USA
Neither Apple of Verizon will help you with that. If I remember correctly, T-Mobile will start carrying the iPhone soon. Perhaps they will be willing to swap it for you? Their customer service is friendlier than most.

Your best bet, however, is either selling the device, or looking for someone in a similar situation willing to trade using a self sale website like eBay or Craigslist

is there anyway there can be hardware modifications to maybe remove band 3 from the phone and add band 4?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
is there anyway there can be hardware modifications to maybe remove band 3 from the phone and add band 4?

Are you serious now?
Its nowhere near as easy or simple to just swap frequency bands on a baseband chip.

----------

If I remember correctly, T-Mobile will start carrying the iPhone soon. Perhaps they will be willing to swap it for you? Their customer service is friendlier than most.

Listen to what you're saying.
No matter how nice the customer service is no carrier does that. Take another carriers cellphone and just swap it out with one that works on theirs.

clrdfortakeoff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2013
USA
Are you serious now?
Its nowhere near as easy or simple to just swap frequency bands on a baseband chip.

----------

Haha, I know it can't be simple, but if it can be done.. I want to know how or if I can do it at a local phone fixing place. T-Mobile is releasing LTE Advanced like I already said, 2GB Speeds, of course thats theoritcal, but I just can't miss out on LTE you know.

j.dstasio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2009
South Jersey
About the only options I can think of are:

Sell the Verizon model & buy an A1428 iPhone straight out
Or
Find someone locally on craigslist that is willing to trade you (likely with a bit of cash on your end).

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Are you serious now?

----------

Haha, I know it can't be simple, but if it can be done.. I want to know how or if I can do it at a local phone fixing place. T-Mobile is releasing LTE Advanced like I already said, 2GB Speeds, of course thats theoritcal, but I just can't miss out on LTE you know.

Lol:D
Yep, its something that cannot be altered or changed.
No repair place will be able to change the LTE bands like that.
The easiest way and what would make sense is sell it and use the money to get one for the carrier you're planning on using it on.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
Neither Apple of Verizon will help you with that. If I remember correctly, T-Mobile will start carrying the iPhone soon.

I was under the impression that rumours were saying the next iPhone (5S/6) would have T-Mobile bands. But they could just release another iPhone 5 model mid product cycle with the correct bands (as they did with the Verizon iPhone).

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
I want to trade mine! nah I'm kidding lolz
A1428 is the best model as it is compatible with LTE in canada, mexico and it will for the rest of the americas

clrdfortakeoff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2013
USA
I want to trade mine! nah I'm kidding lolz
A1428 is the best model as it is compatible with LTE in canada, mexico and it will for the rest of the americas

As far as I'm concerned the A1428 model only works on AT&T and T-Mobile LTE in the US, and Canada, maybe in Mexico and the rest of the americas, but isn't that weird, AT&T Model has LTE Bands 4, 17. Verizon/Sprint Model has LTE Bands 1, 3, 5, 13, 25 and it works on those two carriers, minor carriers like Straight Talk, they run from Verizon network, mostly all of Europe, Asia, Africa, and the Middle East. Why couldn't apple just add these 2 extra bands to the A1429 Model to make ONE Universal LTE Device? Wouldn't that cost them less than making more than one model?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
As far as I'm concerned the A1428 model only works on AT&T and T-Mobile LTE in the US, and Canada, maybe in Mexico and the rest of the americas, but isn't that weird, AT&T Model has LTE Bands 4, 17. Verizon/Sprint Model has LTE Bands 1, 3, 5, 13, 25 and it works on those two carriers, minor carriers like Straight Talk, they run from Verizon network, mostly all of Europe, Asia, Africa, and the Middle East. Why couldn't apple just add these 2 extra bands to the A1429 Model to make ONE Universal LTE Device? Wouldn't that cost them less than making more than one model?

Very good point.
I think the reason they make all these different models is to try to save money by putting different LTE baseband chips for different continents and also adding or removing CDMA capabilities to places sold that dont require that tech.

clrdfortakeoff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2013
USA
Very good point.
I think the reason they make all these different models is to try to save money by putting different LTE baseband chips for different continents and also adding or removing CDMA capabilities to places sold that dont require that tech.

I think it is because of this CDMA technology, you wouldn't use CDMA on the A1428 for AT&T of course. BUT.. why couldn't it be like the 4S, CDMA+GSM in one phone, it would encourage people to buy the iPhone. I am sure I would love it if just ONE DEVICE, one iconic device will work anywhere I go, on LTE, 3G or 2G, CDMA or GSM. It would be a great device for travelers or pilots. One Device to work virtually ANYWHERE on ANY NETWORK.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011

I think it is because of this CDMA technology, you wouldn't use CDMA on the A1428 for AT&T of course. BUT.. why couldn't it be like the 4S, CDMA+GSM in one phone, it would encourage people to buy the iPhone. I am sure I would love it if just ONE DEVICE, one iconic device will work anywhere I go, on LTE, 3G or 2G, CDMA or GSM. It would be a great device for travelers or pilots. One Device to work virtually ANYWHERE on ANY NETWORK.

Apple doesn't make the chips. Could just be the chips available on the market didn't support what Apple needs.

The devices do work anywhere though. They just don't work on all LTE networks.

Cingular

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2011
What city do you live in op? If its not a major city then it will take a while for tmobile to roll out LTE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.