Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:35 PM   #1
eperrine
macrumors newbie

Reinstalled Mountain Lion "Failed to Download" URGENT!

Recently purchased a second hand MBP. Followed re install instructions from online, wiped HD and attempted to re-install Mountain OSX. I have tried re-installing it twice, and both times a box popped up near the end saying "FAIL TO DOWNLOAD".

I noticed both times that near the beginning, the loading bar went from showing me its progression to being full and blue, looked like a bug.

Also note that my WiFi router or home wiring is dodgy and cuts out every ten minutes - could this be the issue?

What can I do? Could I take it to the Apple Store and give it to them? Will it cost me money?

Thanks
eperrine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:56 PM   #2
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Try to connect it directly to the router with a short ethernet cable and try again.

Or, you might have Family/Friends with a better connection so you could try there.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:05 PM   #3
eperrine
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
Try to connect it directly to the router with a short ethernet cable and try again.

Or, you might have Family/Friends with a better connection so you could try there.
Ok thanks, do you think that would solve the issue? Even if I plug an ethernet cable to my router, won't it still cut out because it may be the router still disconnecting?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by eperrine View Post
Ok thanks, do you think that would solve the issue? Even if I plug an ethernet cable to my router, won't it still cut out because it may be the router still disconnecting?
If not, last resort is to head to the city and use the Apple Store's wifi.
eperrine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:08 PM   #4
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eperrine View Post

----------

If not, last resort is to head to the city and use the Apple Store's wifi.
Hard to say, if the router is reconnecting to the provider then it won't make much of a difference, maybe you should think about a reliable provider or a new router.

If the Apple store has a good wifi network then I know for sure they will allow it to do it yourself, just ask, they won't mind.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:37 AM   #5
xlii
macrumors 68000

As someone suggested try bypassing wifi and plugging into the ethernet coming out of your router.

I don't know your setup but if you have this --> wall coax --> cable modem --> router --> wifi

and plugging into the ethernet coming out of the router is a no go... disconnect the router from the cable modem and plug your computer using ethernet directly into the cable modem.
xlii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:28 AM   #6
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlii View Post
... disconnect the router from the cable modem and plug your computer using ethernet directly into the cable modem.
Just to add to this.... you will probably need to reboot the cable modem once you connect the ethernet cable directly to the Macbook for it to recognized by the cable modem.
Weaselboy is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion