Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced its annual Lunar New Year sale, a one day event for Asian countries that is also known as "Red Friday" because of its similarity to November's Black Friday sales.

As with its Black Friday event, Apple will be offering limited time deals on Macs, iPads, iPods, and accessories like the Smart Cover.

redfriday2013.jpg
Last year's sales saw discounts of up to 8% on iPads, 10% on iPod touches, and a flat discount of HK$ 770 on all models of the MacBook Air, the MacBook Pro, and the iMac. This year's discounts are expected to be similar, and free shipping will be offered.

Apple has also published a gift guide for the event, which features its flagship products like the iPad mini and the iPhone, alongside several third-party accessories from manufacturers like Bose, Logitech, and Griffin.

The Red Friday sale will take place on January 25 and is valid in China, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, and Thailand.

Article Link: Apple's 'Red Friday' Lunar New Year Sale Will Bring Deals for Asian Customers on January 25

smileyborg

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2009
Apple's 'Red Friday' Lunar New Year Sale Will Bring Deals for Asian Customers on January 25

Don't you guys mean Asian Countries?? Something tells me Apple isn't checking your ethnic background for eligibility status...! :)

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Good job on the misleading headline MR. I guess every Asian on the planet earth gets these deals. Can't wait for my red bag deal, even though I'm residing in California.

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Fantastic news! In Hong Kong this week and were about to buy a new iPad no mater what

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
Don't you guys mean Asian Countries?? Something tells me Apple isn't checking your ethnic background for eligibility status...! :)
It's however an interesting slip, because a country = a customer for the Apple of this last years (ie the non-Mac Apple)

j4zb4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Apple today announced its annual Lunar New Year sale, a one day event for Asian countries that is also known as "Red Friday" because of its similarity to November's Black Friday sales.

I am in India and the last time I checked it was definitely a part of Asia... But sadly no such sale for us... :(

But ofcourse RED Friday isn't celebrated here... :p

With the FDI now approved in India for the retail sector I wonder how long will it be before we see Apple Retail stores here...

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Both the image and title are misleading being out of context.

The article title says Asian customers, not limiting to Asian countries. So any US citizen that's Asian could in fact get this discount.

The image, while saying Chinese New Year, does not limit where the items can be bought as it's not shown with a screen shot from the Chinese Apple Store, nor does the image limit the deals to Asian countries.

So in marketing & legal speak, based on MR's post, I'm eligible.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
Exchange rate on the Honk Kong dollar is $1 HK = .13 US cents so .13 X 770 is equal to a $100 dollar discount in the US. Not a bad flat rate discount for things like iPods and iPads.

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
Well, even "Asian Countries" would still be incorrect, because it only applies to countries that care about the Chinese New Year. Last year, 6 countries (China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Thailand, Singapore and the Philippines) out of the 52 Asian countries were included in the promotion.

So that means people from Israel, Afghanistan, eastern Russia and Japan are just as out of luck as the many Asian customers in non-Asian countries. :rolleyes:

makinao

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2009
Well, even "Asian Countries" would still be incorrect, because it only applies to countries that care about the Chinese New Year. Last year, 6 countries (China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Thailand, Singapore and the Philippines) out of the 52 Asian countries were included in the promotion

The Philippines (store.apple.com/ph) is not included this year :-(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.