Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:03 PM   #26
mackandproud
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
I don't buy that for one second that you only charge it once per week.
You can get it replaced by Apple but it will happen again within time.
It's not scratch proof.
You mad, homie?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDApp View Post
I see it this way:
If you are within the return period then yes.
If you aren't within the return period then no.

Is it worth the trip to get a new iPhone that will inevitably get scratched is up to you. Have you thought of putting a case on your phone?
Have you thought of reading my OP where I state that a case has been on the entire time?

Just to add, the scratches are to the bottom right of the lightning port (cheesy name). The scratches are on the edge of the rubber cover so it's unlikely that the lightning cable caused the scratches, since the plug would have had to be shoved into the case at a very odd angle.

I've got these types of scratches all over my previous model flip phone, but those are from multiple drops onto concrete. The source of the iphone's scratches are a mystery to me.

Last edited by mackandproud; Jan 22, 2013 at 05:09 PM.
mackandproud is offline   0
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:04 PM   #27
CoMoMacUser
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
used like a mad cow
Not sure what this means, but I like how it sounds.
CoMoMacUser is offline   0
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:13 PM   #28
mrwalsh1968
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwalsh1968 View Post
Do you have a picture of the damage?
So I guess you don't have a photo then?
mrwalsh1968 is offline   1
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:14 PM   #29
mackandproud
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwalsh1968 View Post
So I guess you don't have a photo then?
You guessed correctly.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:27 PM   #30
AppleDApp
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackandproud View Post
Have you thought of reading my OP where I state that a case has been on the entire time?
Wow, you are a pleasure to deal with. The only case I see mentioned in your post is the casing of the iPhone itself. If you aren't satisfied return it.
Quote:
There are several scratches on the iphone case, near the lightning port. This port has only been used a total of 3X. Once at the store where I bought it to set up the phone. At the apple store to transfer contacts. And at home to recharge the phone. That's it. After a week, there are already multiple scratches near that port, after what I consider to be relatively light use.

Can I return this phone for an exchange and refund? I don't think the phone should scratch this easily. I had a regular cell phone before, which I was far less careful with, and it took maybe two years before it looked as bad as the iphone 5 after just one week.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:29 PM   #31
mackandproud
macrumors 6502

My mistake. I thought I had mentioned it in my OP. Yes, I have been using a case the entire time.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:36 PM   #32
XboxMySocks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
My phone's been in an otterbox case the entire time.
Well there's your problem

EDIT: Just to clarify, I have had my phone in no case since the launch... I have no scratches on the bottom port. All I have is one nick where I dropped my heavy watch on it, and some discolouration where the chamfer meets the side of the phone. That's expected IMO. You're either way too rough with plugging it in, screwed it up with the case, or have a defective coating.
XboxMySocks is offline   0
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:39 PM   #33
dabigone
macrumors regular

OP needs to learn how to put it in the hole correctly.
dabigone is offline   1
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:52 PM   #34
mackandproud
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by XboxMySocks View Post
Well there's your problem

EDIT: Just to clarify, I have had my phone in no case since the launch... I have no scratches on the bottom port. All I have is one nick where I dropped my heavy watch on it, and some discolouration where the chamfer meets the side of the phone. That's expected IMO. You're either way too rough with plugging it in, screwed it up with the case, or have a defective coating.
Look, I'm just as mystified as you are.

The defender inner case is plastic but the back is padded and slightly tacky, so it shouldn't move in the case (if it did, contact with the plastic could cause scratching).

There are only two things that have been in contact with the port or it's vicinity: the rubber port cover, and of course, the cable plug. And neither should cause scratching.

I'm looking at my old flip phone's mini usb port and it's surrounding area. No scratches at all around the port, after 4 years of use. The corners have plenty of scratches but like I said these are from drops onto concrete.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigone View Post
OP needs to learn how to put it in the hole correctly.
But I've only had a week to practice.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:53 PM   #35
XboxMySocks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Look, I'm just as mystified as you are.

The defender inner case is plastic but the back is padded and slightly tacky, so it shouldn't move in the case (if it did, contact with the plastic could cause scratching).

There are only two things that have been in contact with the port or it's vicinity: the rubber port cover, and of course, the cable plug. And neither should cause scratching.

I'm looking at my old flip phone's mini usb port and it's surrounding area. No scratches at all around the port, after 4 years of use. The corners have plenty of scratches but like I said these are from drops onto concrete.

----------

But I've only had a week to practice.
Get it replaced then. Genuine statement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxhF7iBueeE&t=1m24s
XboxMySocks is offline   0
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:42 PM   #36
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
You mad, homie?

----------

Why would I be mad? You're the one with the issue.
I was just stating that I don't believe you that's all.
Applejuiced is offline   0
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:06 PM   #37
mackandproud
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Why would I be mad? You're the one with the issue.
I was just stating that I don't believe you that's all.
'Roid rage strikes again.

Yeah, man, I NEVER charge my phone. My IP5 recharges because of the power of my sheer awesomeness.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:14 PM   #38
Stooby Mcdoobie
macrumors 6502a

I wish this site still had the downvote button.
Stooby Mcdoobie is offline   7
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:33 PM   #39
macsrcool1234
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Yeah, man, I NEVER charge my phone. My IP5 recharges because of the power of my sheer awesomeness.
OP, you are a douche but a funny one. This statement genuinely made me lol.

If this was reddit, you would be on the front page.
macsrcool1234 is offline   0
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:17 PM   #40
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:

Lol
You're very amusing.
So you do admit what you were claiming above made no sense unless your "awesomeness" caused those scratches.
Whatever you decide to do, good luck.
Applejuiced is offline   1
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:53 PM   #41
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
My phone's been in an otterbox case the entire time. It has spent maybe two minutes total outside of a case while I switched cases.

Here is apple's return policy for reference. I bought my phone at wally world. I'll probably have to go in person and ask what their store specific policy is, if any.

Returns and refunds

iPhone Return Policy
If you are not fully satisfied with your iPhone purchase, you can return your undamaged iPhone to the Apple Online Store (1-800-MY-APPLE), or to a U.S. Apple Store, within 30 calendar days from shipment for a full refund. If you return your iPhone within 30 calendar days from shipment, you will not be charged a restocking fee. Your iPhone must be returned in the original packaging, including any accessories, manuals, and documentation.
The Apple Store return policy has nothing to do with the policies of their third party resellers. Other stores may be taking far lower margins on these, and we have no way of knowing what their options are with the returned units. Everyone with a similar problem starts this kind of thread. Ideally you would call the store where you purchased it and inquire about their return policy or look it up online, but do not expect to leverage Apple's return policy against a different company. Otherwise you can always see if the warranty will cover this.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:08 PM   #42
EthanNixon
macrumors 6502a

You can exchange Apple products at an Apple store, regardless of where you purchased it.

I think it would be fairly pointless to exchange your 'perfectly working' iPhone 5, which has the battery capacity of seven iPhone 5s put together. For me, tiny scratches on the bottom of my phone, which isn't where the screen is located and never receives attention, is something I would take if it came with completely unrealistic battery life likes yours does OP.

Whatever you do, hopefully you don't get a replacement iPhone with normal battery life, because you'll complain about that next.
EthanNixon is offline   1
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:19 AM   #43
AppleFanatic10
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to AppleFanatic10 Send a message via Skype™ to AppleFanatic10
Quote:
There are several scratches on the iphone case, near the lightning port. This port has only been used a total of 3X. Once at the store where I bought it to set up the phone. At the apple store to transfer contacts. And at home to recharge the phone. That's it. After a week, there are already multiple scratches near that port, after what I consider to be relatively light use.

Can I return this phone for an exchange and refund? I don't think the phone should scratch this easily. I had a regular cell phone before, which I was far less careful with, and it took maybe two years before it looked as bad as the iphone 5 after just one week.

edit: I should've added that my phone has been in a case the entire time.
Your iPhone could've got scratches from your case. But honestly I don't think that Apple will refund you because they'll consider that as "cosmetic" and they may likely say that they won't do anything for something cosmetic. But it's worth a shot.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:12 AM   #44
abz1981
macrumors 6502a

This whole story seems to be similar to the other ones we get such as ''my phone screen cracked on its own'
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:25 AM   #45
mackandproud
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleFanatic10 View Post
Your iPhone could've got scratches from your case. But honestly I don't think that Apple will refund you because they'll consider that as "cosmetic" and they may likely say that they won't do anything for something cosmetic. But it's worth a shot.
Theoretically possible, but highly unlikely. Only the rubber port cover portion of the case could've made contact with the phone.

Apple's return policy is a "full satisfaction" guarantee. The phone has to be returned complete and "undamaged." I'm not sure exactly how this latter term is defined, so there may be some element of store/employee discretion.

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland