Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
So the new 27" runs great, but instead of shutdown issues, I have wake from sleep problems. The imac runs perfectly, then sleeps at the allotted time fine.

If left for half an hour or so, it will wake normally. If left longer, it takes a couple (sometimes three) taps on the KB to wake it, when it once again runs fine.

Things I've done

SMC / PRAM re-et

Checked Indexing

I have a feeling that because I used MA to transfer my data ( Something I didn't want to do, but was persuaded, by my Apple rep to try) something has come over that should not have.

I should aslo say that the fix is a re-install of ML, but I'd really like to find a better / faster fix if one exists.

Last edited:

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
Can you do a experiment? Try waiting 5 seconds between taps.

The keyboard (if its wireless) may be asleep as well and it needs to wakeup/re-pair itself.

Or more likely, if the 2012 iMac supports standby hibernation what your waiting for is the system to copy the previous contents of your RAM that was copied to your hard drive back to your RAM from your hard drive (RAMception?).

Try a wired keyboard (or mouse). Also Open Terminal, type "pmset -g" and post the output here on the forum.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Can you do a experiment? Try waiting 5 seconds between taps.

The keyboard (if its wireless) may be asleep as well and it needs to wakeup/re-pair itself.

Or more likely, if the 2012 iMac supports standby hibernation what your waiting for is the system to copy the previous contents of your RAM that was copied to your hard drive back to your RAM from your hard drive (RAMception?).

Try a wired keyboard (or mouse). Also Open Terminal, type "pmset -g" and post the output here on the forum.

KB is wired...I think a clean install will probably fix this...not a big deal unless it gets worse.

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
It just takes a while to awaken it. I have a Bluetooth keyboard and trackpad. I can hit the trackpad once and it will awaken, but it takes about 20 seconds.

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
As long as the contents of the RAM haven't been moved over to the hard drive the computer should wake up instantly. That's why I was curious what the "pmset -g" output was (it would have listed the sleep options).

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
As long as the contents of the RAM haven't been moved over to the hard drive the computer should wake up instantly. That's why I was curious what the "pmset -g" output was (it would have listed the sleep options).

I'll have a go later on today...It now seems to wake at random too...I only noticed this last night when I got up for a drink...I'm happy with it particularly the screen so don't want a swap out really...I will probably re-insatll at the weekend.

----------

It just takes a while to awaken it. I have a Bluetooth keyboard and trackpad. I can hit the trackpad once and it will awaken, but it takes about 20 seconds.

Terminal gives the following output:

tandby 1
powerbutton 0
womp 1
halfdim 1
hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage
autorestart 0
networkoversleep 0
disksleep 10
sleep 45
autopoweroffdelay 14400
hibernatemode 0
autopoweroff 1
ttyskeepawake 1
displaysleep 30
standbydelay 4200

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
It seems like your not the only one who is noticing their 2012 Mac's hibernating. Do you have a SSD (or Fusion Drive)?

Try this: "sudo pmset autopoweroff 0" and "sudo pmset standby 0"

Test your computer for a day with those set. If it solves your problem then you know there is nothing wrong, it was just your iMac Hibernating. :p

If it does not help, then you can still re-install.

P.S. If you like the hibernation, you can switch it back on by re-entering the commands with 1's instead of 0's. You can even change the amount of time by adjusting "autopoweroffdelay" and "standbydelay". :)

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
It seems like your not the only one who is noticing their 2012 Mac's hibernating. Do you have a SSD (or Fusion Drive)?

Test your computer for a day with those set. If it solves your problem then you know there is nothing wrong, it was just your iMac Hibernating. :p

If it does not help, then you can still re-install. :)

I will give that a shot....But I fear a reinstall is on the cards:)

----------

I will give that a shot....But I fear a reinstall is on the cards:)

It's the 3TB Fusion drive

----------

All now set to 0. Will leave it today and see, I do prefer it to sleep at night...guess I can just put them back, but it does seem to be ML related. Anybody running SL on a new IMac?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Update.

This may help some people out...As suggested above and using terminal, playing with the values seems to have sorted out my issues. The iMac is now sleeping and waking as it should. Thanks for the tips!:)

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
Edit: Glad everything is working.

---

The iMac should still sleep, it just won't Hibernate (see below).

• Sleep/Standby: Machine state is held in RAM, then the computer cuts power to unneeded subsystems and places the RAM into a minimum power state.
  • Hibernation: Machine state is saved to a Hard Drive and then the computer is turned completely off.
  • Apple's Hybrid Standby-Hibernation: Machine state is saved to a Hard Drive, then the computer cuts power to unneeded subsystems including RAM.
This last one is what lets MacBook Air's stay "On" with the Lid closed for 30 days. I'm guessing they are now implementing it on other product lines that have SSD's to save energy. The SSD part its important because of how quickly they can copy the saved state back to RAM, HDD's are much slower (also HDD's take precious seconds to spin back up).

I really doubt Snow Leopard will run on the new iMac's without modifying it.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Edit: Glad everything is working.

---

The iMac should still sleep, it just won't Hibernate (see below).

• Sleep/Standby: Machine state is held in RAM, then the computer cuts power to unneeded subsystems and places the RAM into a minimum power state.
  • Hibernation: Machine state is saved to a Hard Drive and then the computer is turned completely off.
  • Apple's Hybrid Standby-Hibernation: Machine state is saved to a Hard Drive, then the computer cuts power to unneeded subsystems including RAM.
This last one is what lets MacBook Air's stay "On" with the Lid closed for 30 days. I'm guessing they are now implementing it on other product lines that have SSD's to save energy. The SSD part its important because of how quickly they can copy the saved state back to RAM, HDD's are much slower (also HDD's take precious seconds to spin back up).

I really doubt Snow Leopard will run on the new iMac's without modifying it.

Nope, I'm going to use Terminal from now on...It's now fine...Wakes as It should after a little more playing around...It wasn't a big deal as thing is perfect in use...Very fast and my old one was top spec in 2011 so it isn't slow.....Now we've nailed it I think...No need for a tedious reinstall...Thanks again!!:)

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Going to mark this resolved now, but keep it bookmarked...I think it could help a lot of people with the same issues.....threads cropping up all the time on the same topic. I guess Apple will fix it in an update...for now it seems the only way to effectively manage power settings is by using terminal...I have reported the bug to Apple, but I doubt I'm the first...:)

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
Last thing; If for whatever reason you restore a backup of your current iMac to a MacBook Air/Pro, remember to set those two things back to "1".

JoeBoy73

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2011
imac sleep\wake issues...

I'm having the same problem as Macman was...Mac won't wake up properly. Going to sleep on its own...here's my pmset -g info:

Active Profiles:
AC Power 1*
Currently in use:
autorestart 0
powerbutton 1
halfdim 1
panicrestart 157680000
networkoversleep 0
disksleep 10
sleep 10
hibernatemode 0
ttyskeepawake 1
displaysleep 5
womp 1

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
I'm having the same problem as Macman was...Mac won't wake up properly. Going to sleep on its own...here's my pmset -g info:

Active Profiles:
AC Power 1*
Currently in use:
autorestart 0
powerbutton 1
halfdim 1
panicrestart 157680000
networkoversleep 0
disksleep 10
sleep 10
hibernatemode 0
ttyskeepawake 1
displaysleep 5
womp 1

I have now used the terminal fix above on 3 iMacs, all of which had the same issue....using them and setting the power management to prevent hibernation has cured the issue in all three cases.

MacChris87

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2013
Made the changes in Terminal still having trouble...

Here is my pmset -g

Active Profiles:
AC Power -1*
Currently in use:
standby 0
powerbutton 1
womp 1
halfdim 1
autorestart 0
networkoversleep 0
disksleep 10
sleep 10
autopoweroffdelay 14400
hibernatemode 0
autopoweroff 0
ttyskeepawake 1
displaysleep 10
standbydelay 4200

I am running a 2012 iMac with an HDD hard drive. I made both changes suggested on this thread in Terminal and I am still experiencing the problems. What else can I change?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Here is my pmset -g

Active Profiles:
AC Power -1*
Currently in use:
standby 0
powerbutton 1
womp 1
halfdim 1
autorestart 0
networkoversleep 0
disksleep 10
sleep 10
autopoweroffdelay 14400
hibernatemode 0
autopoweroff 0
ttyskeepawake 1
displaysleep 10
standbydelay 4200

I am running a 2012 iMac with an HDD hard drive. I made both changes suggested on this thread in Terminal and I am still experiencing the problems. What else can I change?

Is that the log AFTER you made the changes? If it is, you need to try again. I have had circumstances where I've had to do it twice before the change were properly applied.

asif10

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
UK
I am having the same issue with my 2012 macbook pro retina.

I have had some success if i update the time autopoweroffdelay and standbydelay to 36000 (10 hrs), which essentially for me means it will never go to hibernate for me.

So for me, it looks like when it hibernates it doesn't wake up until i do a hard restart a few times.

(Booked in with Apple to see if they can fix this, but looking at some of the post from others, i shouldn't hold my breath)

dfader

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2013
Can someone please give a clear set of instructions for solving this problem to a mac dummy? The problems with sleep has been driving me NUTS, and I'd love to have them solved!

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Can someone please give a clear set of instructions for solving this problem to a mac dummy? The problems with sleep has been driving me NUTS, and I'd love to have them solved!

Open terminal, and type in the following commands ( without the quotation marks )

Using Sudo will probably prompt you for your password...this is the system password that you use on your Mac:: "sudo pmset autopoweroff 0" and "sudo pmset standby 0"

stanem

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2013
Hello i am also having problems with sleep on iMac 2012 OS mountain lion, 1 TB fusion drive, first it took about 10 seconds to wake, after trying every tip i could find made things worse, it takes now about 20 seconds and screen is white clean all the time, is there a command that sets every change i made in terminal to stock/factory settings? (Some commands that i tried didnt apply or gave me warning about improper use or result)
I have tried command: "sudo pmset autopoweroff 0" and "sudo pmset standby 0"
sudo pmset -a standbydelay 86400

Guess i ll have to wait for Mavericks to make clean install

Active Profiles:
AC Power -1*
Currently in use:
standby 1
powerbutton 1
womp 1
halfdim 1
autorestart 0
networkoversleep 0
disksleep 10
sleep 180 (sleep prevented by 1120)
autopoweroffdelay 14400
hibernatemode 0
autopoweroff 1
ttyskeepawake 1
displaysleep 10
standbydelay 4200

swiftflo

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2010

If it does not help, then you can still re-install.

P.S. If you like the hibernation, you can switch it back on by re-entering the commands with 1's instead of 0's. You can even change the amount of time by adjusting "autopoweroffdelay" and "standbydelay". :)

is the O a letter O or a number 0, thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.