Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:16 AM   #1
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

Can the Touch 4 still play many games?

Plan to buy IPT4 16G this friday for music, some clips/mv. I guess there should be around 5 GB or so left for gaming so can it still run new and updated games?

I read on the web that Temple run 2 is completely unplayable and thats okay because i play it on my Ipad. What about Street fighter x tekken, King of fighter, Infinity blade 2? Hope you guys can advise, thanks.
raccoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:25 AM   #2
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Being only 1 gen old it should be able to run everything with relative ease
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:47 AM   #3
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Graphic-intensive apps like the ones you listed will almost certainly lag in some areas of the game, because the old A4 chip won't be able to handle such graphics with ease.

Get the 5th Gen if you want lag-free gaming. May be slightly more expensive, but it will be worth the investment.
Beeplance is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:30 AM   #4
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by racoonboy View Post
Plan to buy IPT4 16G this friday for music, some clips/mv. I guess there should be around 5 GB or so left for gaming so can it still run new and updated games?
As mentioned some games don't perform well on the older iPod Touches. Are you sure your space requirements aren't going to increase in the time you own the iPod Touch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post
Get the 5th Gen if you want lag-free gaming. May be slightly more expensive, but it will be worth the investment.
And it will also be useable longer. Some game designers only test heavily on the latest hardware meaning that the performance on the older devices might suffer. They'll only test enough on the older devices to make sure it isn't broken.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:28 PM   #5
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

The 4th gen doesn't have much life in it as far as gaming is concerned.
TacticalDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:18 PM   #6
Androidfan1x
macrumors regular

If you wanna play games like infinity blade, asphalt 7,need for speed most wanted then forget the 4h gen
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:28 PM   #7
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androidfan1x View Post
If you wanna play games like infinity blade, asphalt 7,need for speed most wanted then forget the 4h gen
what about fighting games like Street x tekken and KOF?
raccoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:37 PM   #8
Androidfan1x
macrumors regular

Quote:
what about fighting games like Street x tekken and KOF?
i never play those games, sorry, but basically what i was saying was if you wanna heavy graphic games then don't get the 4th, but it should handle "light" games like temple run fine (not sure about temple run 2 though, looks like it has too much heavy graphics)

you might wanna go to the apple store and try it, but i think you should get the 5th (which i have) it has the a5 chip, i use mine to play infinity blade, asphalt,... as school really fun
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:22 AM   #9
blackhand1001
macrumors 68030

Quote:

I read on the web that Temple run 2 is completely unplayable and thats okay because i play it on my Ipad. What about Street fighter x tekken, King of fighter, Infinity blade 2? Hope you guys can advise, thanks.
Don't waste your money on a 4th generation ipod touch. It doesn't have enough ram and runs pretty crappy even when doing very little.
Moto X Dev Edition (VZW) Nexus 7
blackhand1001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:16 AM   #10
Troneas
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androidfan1x View Post
actually, whilst it takes some time to load, asphalt 7 runs pretty smoothly on the IPT 4.
Troneas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:32 PM   #11
RylanH16
macrumors member

Exclamation It sucks

Although most games work on the iPod touch 4th gen, any game that's more intense than smashing ants or some crappy game like that will definitely lag. I still like my iPod and use it a lot, but if you're buying it primarily for gaming, get a 5th gen. Mine lags almost every 10 seconds or so just playing Temple Run or Hill Climb, and those really aren't near as demanding as some games like Real Racing 2 or Epoch. And the performance will be even worse if you have music playing at the same time.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troneas View Post
actually, whilst it takes some time to load, asphalt 7 runs pretty smoothly on the IPT 4.
Yeah Asphalt 6 worked fine on mine until I got to about 50% through and then the app wouldn't even open so I had to delete it.
RylanH16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch