Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:53 AM   #1
Tech198
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Australia, Perth
vlc aspect ratio

Hi all..

When i creating video dvd's in Toast, and viewing them in VLC, the aspect ratio is way off..

Yet when viewed same DVD in DVD player its fine in 16:9... Aspect ratio in VLC clearly shows this.

I didn't resize the window, it starts playing at this size. And its not the first time i noticed this, when the DVD clearly plays in full screen by default. In all cases, the Aspect Ratio set by Toast, when creating, and VLC (when play back) is "Auto"

I often wonder why this happens only in VLC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vlc aspect ratio.png
Views:	58
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	391841  
__________________
13" MBPR, i5, 256Gig SDD, 8 Gig Ram, Apple TV, iPhone 5S 16Gig, iPad 4th Gen 16Gig, Mac Mini 2.3Ghz i7, 1TB HD
"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."
Tech198 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:58 AM   #2
MisterMe
macrumors G4
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: USA
The following applied specifically to DVDs in the NTSC format, but other formats have similar considerations. These DVDs use a 720x480 pixel map irrespective of the intended aspect ratio of the display.

In the case of 4:3 aspect ratio content, the 720 horizontal pixels must be squeezed into the space of 640 horizontal pixels. As a result, the displayed pixels are rectangular and oriented in portrait mode. They are "tall."

In the case of 16:9 aspect ratio content, the 720 horizontal pixels must be stretched to fill the space of 853 horizontal pixels. As a result, the displayed pixels are rectangular and oriented in landscape mode. They are "wide."

What you are seeing is completely normal.
__________________
Neither a borrower nor a lender be
For loan oft loses both itself and friend
William Shakespeare from Hamlet
MisterMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:50 PM   #3
spacepower7
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: May 2004
What was the original source of the video? Somewhere between the original file, Toast conversion, and VLC, your Pixel Aspect Ratio aka PAR got screwed up.

The DVD is in the PAL format but what format was the original video?
spacepower7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:56 PM   #4
Tech198
Thread Starter
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Australia, Perth
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacepower7 View Post
What was the original source of the video? Somewhere between the original file, Toast conversion, and VLC, your Pixel Aspect Ratio aka PAR got screwed up.

The DVD is in the PAL format but what format was the original video?
Just an update on this. the original movie (in mp4) on HD plays fine in VLC... No shrinking, or anything... Its only when converted to DVD.

I think NTSC,,, However even if it was my TV Settings in Toast are set to "PAL" which they are, and if the video is in a different aspect ratio, then toast alerts me "This video is in a different format, "Write Pal" or "Write NTSC", in which i always leave it in its default format..
__________________
13" MBPR, i5, 256Gig SDD, 8 Gig Ram, Apple TV, iPhone 5S 16Gig, iPad 4th Gen 16Gig, Mac Mini 2.3Ghz i7, 1TB HD
"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."
Tech198 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:15 PM   #5
spacepower7
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: May 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech198 View Post
Just an update on this. the original movie (in mp4) on HD plays fine in VLC... No shrinking, or anything... Its only when converted to DVD.

I think NTSC,,, However even if it was my TV Settings in Toast are set to "PAL" which they are, and if the video is in a different aspect ratio, then toast alerts me "This video is in a different format, "Write Pal" or "Write NTSC", in which i always leave it in its default format..
The problem could be that the PAR is set incorrectly in the mp4 and VLC/QuickTime ignore it?

I've had videos mkv/mp4 from friends playback like goofy in VLC but playback fine in QuickTime. And vice versa. It usually was a problem with their MKV/MP4 encoder. Toast could amplify that problem by misinterpreting the PAR.

Is the original file from DVD or BluRay?
spacepower7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:21 PM   #6
Tech198
Thread Starter
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Australia, Perth
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacepower7 View Post
The problem could be that the PAR is set incorrectly in the mp4 and VLC/QuickTime ignore it?

I've had videos mkv/mp4 from friends playback like goofy in VLC but playback fine in QuickTime. And vice versa. It usually was a problem with their MKV/MP4 encoder. Toast could amplify that problem by misinterpreting the PAR.

Is the original file from DVD or BluRay?
It was acquired by "other sources" .. I think you know what that means. SO, i dunno.... I guess at some point it would have had to be DVD. Its a 198x movie. The quality looks too good to be from VHS.
__________________
13" MBPR, i5, 256Gig SDD, 8 Gig Ram, Apple TV, iPhone 5S 16Gig, iPad 4th Gen 16Gig, Mac Mini 2.3Ghz i7, 1TB HD
"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."
Tech198 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:58 AM   #7
spacepower7
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: May 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech198 View Post
It was acquired by "other sources" .. I think you know what that means. SO, i dunno.... I guess at some point it would have had to be DVD. Its a 198x movie. The quality looks too good to be from VHS.
OK
IIRC (which I may be totally wrong) if the source is DVD. DVDs use non-square pixels. NTSC uses slightly vertical rectangles while PAL uses slightly horizontal rectangles? The PAR seems like it is converted twice in your screenshot, that's why it is so vertical?
spacepower7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad: Video aspect ratio theromz iPad 13 Mar 13, 2014 05:53 PM
How to change aspect ratio 4:3->16:9? JoJo88 Digital Video 3 Mar 11, 2014 11:24 AM
21:9 aspect ratio?? mobydick01 Mac mini 7 Jan 12, 2014 02:39 PM
What aspect ratio do you like to compose in? nateo200 Digital Video 15 Sep 16, 2012 07:56 PM
The New iPhone's aspect ratio dvir971 iPhone 1 Sep 8, 2012 06:37 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:52 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC