Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:54 AM   #26
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFan1957 View Post
How long till the first FanDroid arrives to tell us exactly how these numbers must be wrong! I guess maybe Verizon can't count or maybe the Android phones how up as Linux, has to be that!
What I find funny is that it would bother you enough to post this so early in the thread almost inviting the debate. Well played
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:54 AM   #27
newagemac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by alent1234 View Post
for most of the people left with no smartphones, $199 is too much. even for me its too much. only way i justify buying a new phone for $199 is proceeds from sales of the old phone
One of the best things about owning an iPhone is the resale value. After buying my first iPhone in 2008, I always get the newest one and never have to pay for the phone itself. The previous one is always worth at least $200. In fact, I often make money by getting a new iPhone!

Of course, the phone service costs money but since I am happy with my provider and don't ever plan to be without cell phone service, this works out well for always having a nice new phone without paying extra money on top of the service itself.
newagemac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:55 AM   #28
jrswizzle
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
Am I drunk or what?

Something does make sense here.

Half of iPhones were LTE
So 3 million LTE iphones.

7.3 m LTE devices - 3 m = 4.3 m other than iPhones

4.3 m + 6.2 m = 10.5 million smartphones NOT 9.8 m smartphones
The iPad mini and iPad 4 are both LTE devices as well meaning the surplus could be due to tablet activations.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:55 AM   #29
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:

It's Verizon playing mix and match. LTE "devices" also include tablets.
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:56 AM   #30
Tee1970
macrumors member

Lotta tablets..

Quote:
Am I drunk or what?

Something does make sense here.

Half of iPhones were LTE
So 3 million LTE iphones.

I'm thinking a lot of those LTE devices were iPad Mini and iPad 3/4...
Tee1970 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:56 AM   #31
Lancetx
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTX View Post
I haven't seen any official numbers but take a look in the forums here, there are a TON of ex iPhone users with Android devices now. I'm one of them, and I know PLENTY in person that have done the same. It's not a knock on iOS(though it needs some serious revision) but it's further proof that the times are changing, and that people want something different, and are willing to give Android a try.
Based on Verizon's official numbers today, for every one person that does what you did, there must be two going in the opposite direction and switching from Android (or another OS) to iOS...
Lancetx is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:57 AM   #32
alent1234
macrumors 603

Quote:
I haven't seen any official numbers but take a look in the forums here, there are a TON of ex iPhone users with Android devices now. I'm one of them, and I know PLENTY in person that have done the same. It's not a knock on iOS(though it needs some serious revision) but it's further proof that the times are changing, and that people want something different, and are willing to give Android a try.
i played with my father in law's S3 a few days ago, and i don't plan to trade my iphone for it.

lots of little annoyances on it
alent1234 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:57 AM   #33
Macboy Pro
macrumors 6502a

That is because you have to buy 2, one for data and one for voice talking.
Macboy Pro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:58 AM   #34
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo63 View Post
No, I don't think so. You can get some great deals on the last generation iPhones, so why wouldn't they sell well? Some people want an iPhone, but don't want any up-front costs. So I wouldn't say it's that surprising at all.

I wouldn't get too excited, it stands to reason that the stats lean in Apple's favour when they just released a new device. Things will settle out quick enough. I'm an Apple guy, but Android and Samsung are making it very tough on Apple.
But Apple's share of the total this quarter is up over the same quarter last year. I'm not seeing where Android and Samsung are hurting them in the US.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:59 AM   #35
Windlasher
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviesified View Post
Very positive overall, but isn't it a little bit surprising that the iPhone 5 only accounted for around half of iPhone sales?
Not really. Sometimes you dont want to pay $199 for an iphone 5 when you can get an iphone4 for free.
Windlasher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:00 AM   #36
Tutone
macrumors newbie

Good to me I bought back when it was $79 share thx Apple
Tutone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:00 AM   #37
Mac21ND
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by alent1234 View Post
i played with my father in law's S3 a few days ago, and i don't plan to trade my iphone for it.

lots of little annoyances on it
Prior to getting my iPhone 5, I played with several Android phones. I liked some things like the larger screen sizes, but the apps themselves were not stellar. I still felt like I was getting a better overall experience with an iPhone.
Mac21ND is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:01 AM   #38
newagemac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
You're giving anecdotal evidence and I'm referring to real statistics. Tech forums are not very indicative of reality. And macrumors in particular is flooded with fandroids and Apple haters who would never consider the iPhone so I would take most "I switched from iPhone to Android and couldn't be happier!" posts with a grain of salt. Not saying that's you though.

The proof is in the pudding. Verizon was a huge Android seller. Now nearly two thirds of their activations are iPhones. The picture can't get much more clearer than that.
newagemac is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:05 AM   #39
deputy_doofy
macrumors 65816

This isn't that surprising to me. Most people still want a cheap phone. They don't want a $200-$400 subsidized phone. They want a $50 phone or a free phone. I suppose they'll pay up to $99.

Now that the name iPhone has all of these brackets, there's almost no need to go with one of the other, cheaper guys, because there are no other, cheaper guys. Apple has never done this before -- become a name of high quality and offer insanely cheap price points, but there you have it.

Again, most people (not the geeky MacRumors crowd) want a touch screen phone so they can use Facebook. They don't care what the OS is, but they know the name iPhone better than they know the millions of Android varieties.

Sound the alarms! We have an eMerchantC!
deputy_doofy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:06 AM   #40
alent1234
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac21ND View Post
Prior to getting my iPhone 5, I played with several Android phones. I liked some things like the larger screen sizes, but the apps themselves were not stellar. I still felt like I was getting a better overall experience with an iPhone.

i was playing with google maps on the S3 and i had to walk to the window for it to work. the iphone uses wifi/LTE towers to get location. google maps on the S3 seems to want the GPS satellites.

kind of funny. it didn't work so i put it on the table to eat lunch. the whole time it had the message that it was trying to get location or get GPS signal or something. after i ate i walked up to the window and it got the location right away

i set up an ESPN widget for my FIL to track soccer. i added his teams and the thing still displayed the NFL scores. what was the point of widgets again?
alent1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:06 AM   #41
Technarchy
macrumors 601

Quote:
Very positive overall, but isn't it a little bit surprising that the iPhone 5 only accounted for around half of iPhone sales?
Supply issues + a highly adored and cheap iPhone 4S.

I would think that people that wanted an iPhone 5 but did not want to wait for the next shipment, would opt for the 4S
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:07 AM   #42
Small White Car
macrumors G4

For comparison:

1 year ago Verizon activated 4.3 million iPhones in the 4th quarter.

This year was 6.2 million.

The low ratio of iPhone 5s may not mean the 5 is selling poorly, only that the 'free' iPhone 4 is selling well. Remember, Verizon never had a 'free' iPhone 3GS.
Small White Car is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:13 AM   #43
BornAgainApple
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
For comparison:

1 year ago Verizon activated 4.3 million iPhones in the 4th quarter.

This year was 6.2 million.

The low ratio of iPhone 5s may not mean the 5 is selling poorly, only that the 'free' iPhone 4 is selling well. Remember, Verizon never had a 'free' iPhone 3GS.
Good point.
BornAgainApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:15 AM   #44
TheHateMachine
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
What I find funny is that it would bother you enough to post this so early in the thread almost inviting the debate. Well played
Pretty funny that a "MacFan" was the first to attempt to incite an Android vs iOS trollfest.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:16 AM   #45
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post
The iPad mini and iPad 4 are both LTE devices as well meaning the surplus could be due to tablet activations.
Indeed. Which is why I have always loved the notion that you can get stats to say whatever you want them to.

Unless the complete breakdown is given - it's conjecture how the numbers play out.
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:16 AM   #46
cappadonna
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
Not like his posting that would make a difference.

Regardless, this is only the beginning! Can't wait for att numbers. I'm about to get paid in 2013! Lol
cappadonna is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:17 AM   #47
NoMoreSony
macrumors member

In Q4 2011 Verizon sold 4.2 Million iPhones.
In Q4 2012 Verizon sold 6.2 Million iPhones.

In Q1 2012 Apple sold 37 Million iPhones.
In Q1 2013 Apple sold X iPhones.

Х=37/(4.2/6.2)=54.61.

So, if Verizon sold nearly the same part of all iPhones as it was one year ago, we can expect total iPhone sales number around 54-55 Million. Not bad at all. Better than analysts estimates.
NoMoreSony is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:23 AM   #48
Rogifan
macrumors G3

So if half of iPhone sales were not LTE devices does that mean people don't care about LTE as much as the carriers would like us to believe?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:24 AM   #49
Mark Booth
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Not surprising to me at all. The iPhone 5 will be the first iPhone that is less popular than the model that preceded it! Why?

1) Elimination of the 30-pin dock connector.
2) Relatively thin aluminum case with an anodized finish that chips/scuffs too easily.
3) A Maps app that, while adding turn-by-turn, sucks in just about every other regard.

Mark
Mark Booth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:26 AM   #50
jvmxtra
macrumors 65816

Let's not kid ourselves.

These numbers might be good but still shows many lost opportunities by not providing different size phones(please see sammy's figure) and also proving that apple is selling tons right now because of their brand recognition and not because device is awesome.

Stop living in the past glory apple. You haven't done crab since iphone 4 came out.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion