Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Contrary to information posted by AppleInsider yesterday, Think Secret now claims that Apple will use the October 12 media event to release newly updated versions of the Power Mac and Powerbook. Think Secret does not provide any speculations to what the upgrades might entail.

Their source claims that Apple is not likely to release a competitor to the new iPod nano this early, for fear of cannibalizing sales of the high-margined nano. The iPod nano was introduced September 7, 2005.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Rumor mongering....bleh

We obviously won't know till it happens - which is what Apple wants. Makes you wonder if they pass out false rumors sometimes just to muddy the waters.

D

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
YEEEESSSS!!!!

DEAR GOD, let this be true...

they would have to be decent updates though for apple to call a press conference...

i would still like to see an apple set-top box.

a456

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2005
jtquick2001 said:
Aint going to happen. Powermacs and Powerbooks should be reserved for WWDC

The Apple Store UK currently has a 2-3 week wait for 15" Superdrive Powerbooks suggesting that it might well happen.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Like I said in the "one more thing" thread..

Appleinsider and Think Secret are/were BOTH sites accussed of leaking Apple info.Now both are supposedly leaking two different scenerios ??

Perhaps changes in Powermacs,Powerbooks AND Wireless..

gleepskip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
I don't understand the curtains metaphor on the invitation if the event is to announce new PowerPC products.

A video-capable iPod, iTunes Video Store, or a home media box seems more likely to me.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I'm just itching to buy something. I keep almost buying a refurb, but I keep having to convince myself to wait. I don't care what it is, as long as I can get a good PowerMac for a reasonable price, I'm buying it as soon as I can. Yeah, I'm a dork, but I need a new machine and I just keep waiting. :frustrated: I don't blame Apple, or even IBM, I just want one now!

I hope this is true.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
I still have a feeling it will be a combined pro line upgrade and then the one more thing will be the iPod AV. Rumours seem to be flying out of the Chinese production plants they are already being manufactured.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
gleepskip said:
I don't understand the curtains metaphor on the invitation if the event is to announce new PowerPC products.

A video-capable iPod, iTunes Video Store, or a home media box seems more likely to me.
Could mean HD on PowerBooks though and the video out on the aiport express.

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
Doesn't it seem odd to hold a special event for this? All we can really expect is a relatively minor speed bump. Isn't it??

Unless there's something really nice in the works that nobody is expecting.

swissmann

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2003
The Utah Alps
I'm fine with no new iPods. I'm happy with my 20 GB model. The only time I would get really excited about an iPod update is when it becomes a full blown PDA or smartphone. (Which may never happen). Now updated PowerMacs is something to get excited about - if they have 2 dual core chips (4 cores) and/or support some sort of HD burner. We might be early on the HD side which may mean I wait until the Intel switch is complete.

ininjacorndog

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2005
All I want is a new powerbook, I could care less about an ipod movie, i watch movies on my powerbook screen now and thats small enough. just upgrade the powerbook and ill buy the day it releases.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
"One More Thing" sure sounds like a tie-in to the previous thing. it would be pretty weird marketing, otherwise.

So I still think iPod/iTunes announcements are more likely.

Also, are non-Intel Macs likely to get this much attention? (If so, then Jobs' comments about cool PPC stuff still in the works might be truer than anybody expected.)

New Macs are probably coming, and maybe around the same time, but not at that event I don't think.

Perhaps new Macs will get a quiet release on the same day as iPods/video iTunes/whatever gets the big splash? That could be done to draw attention AWAY from some "tide me over" Macs.

GreenDice

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2005
Pricing question

I am currently looking to buy a 15" PB. The current deal at MacMall basically is a $340 discount. If and when the new PB is announced, I just wonder if the current PBs are still better deals because of the price differences, assuming no discount is available to the newer models.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I hope it's true!

I couldn't careless for another ipod.
I am a professional and i rely on Apple to making my living. So fast and great computer is what I want.
Ipod is nice but I do not make my living listening to music. Ipod nano is here and it's very cool, we don't need another ipod for awhile, plus who cares for ipod video, do you really want to watch on a 2" screen? come on. Ipod video is not ready for primetime yet.
I like the DVR idea, that would be nice, but right now PMs and PBs should be the priority.

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
steve_hill4 said:
I still have a feeling it will be a combined pro line upgrade and then the one more thing will be the iPod AV. Rumours seem to be flying out of the Chinese production plants they are already being manufactured.

Yeah I sort of mooted this elsewhere. As there's not likely to be any HUGE updates, perhaps they can make a noise about updating a few lines at once.

I still think there's something iPoddy afoot. :)

a456

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2005
ininjacorndog said:
All I want is a new powerbook, I could care less about an ipod movie, i watch movies on my powerbook screen now and thats small enough. just upgrade the powerbook and ill buy the day it releases.

Mac Mini, eMac and iMac all shipping within 24hrs in UK and US, iBooks, PowerBooks and PowerMacs are all slipping behind in their delivery times.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Mr. Anderson said:
Rumor mongering....bleh

We obviously won't know till it happens - which is what Apple wants. Makes you wonder if they pass out false rumors sometimes just to muddy the waters.

D

Maybe we should change the name of the site to MacMonger? :p

If I were Steve, I'd be passing out false rumors of poorly spec'd Macs like candy, so people would be thrilled when I quietly upgrade the Mac mini with a weak ass 64MB GPU that won't fully support the shipping OS. :eek:

I'm of the opinion that the Power Mac and Xserve lines will be the last to go Intel, so I'd very much like to see 907MP dual processor Power Macs come out soon. Next Wednesday works for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.