Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macnewbie1990

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2013
Last night, i decided to be a complete smartass and attempt to install Leopard on my system (Tiger 10.4.11). it backfired. i mounted leopard in disk utility, it then appeared in system preferences as an option to boot up in, i then clicked Leopard 10.5.8 and locked the preferences and proceeded to restart the system. The system, on its first reboot, booted back into Tiger, I then rebooted again, this time the terminal appeared with a flickering screen index reading : dyld : library not loaded (pictures attached with post). I now have no idea what to do. I went into open firmware and attempted to boot from the original USB which Leopard was stored on, not happening.:eek:

Since then i have tried to boot and the hard drives spin for a second then nothing. I'm not familiar with computer speak and I'm just asking for any basic instructions on how i can get the OS to boot up, if possible at all.

I also have an emac and was thinking maybe there was some way i could open the ibook in target disk mode with a firewire connection and somehow boot and repair through the emac, again, i've no idea how that would work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:apple::eek:

Attachments

• IMAG0850.jpg
    IMAG0850.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 102
  • IMAG0851.jpg
    IMAG0851.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 89

macnewbie1990

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2013
Hi, I'd been given the os on a usb stick to attempt to run it, im not currently at home so i dont have my original os 10.4 to attempt to recover it with

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Sounds like it's still trying to boot off the USB stick and failing.

Reboot, hold down the OPTN key and select the boot drive with the Tiger install on it. That should solve the issue, unless you've installed something over Tiger.

I'd burn a disk of the USB disk and boot from the optical drive instead of the USB stick if you really want to install Leopard.

macnewbie1990

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2013
yeah i did attempt that method but when i hold Option the only thing that comes up is HD X image with an arrow which reboots the machine or what appears to be a refresh button, when i get the OS X disk will this appear in this same situation? thanks in advance

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.