Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:43 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Analyst Says iPhone 5S and Cheaper iPhone Coming in August/September With China Mobile Support

Taiwan's Commercial Times reports [Google translation] on a new research note from Barclays analyst Kirk Yang claiming that Apple is indeed preparing both an iPhone 5S and a lower-cost iPhone for launch in the August/September timeframe.

Yang notes that each of the devices will be available in two models: one supporting the standard frequency-division duplexing (FDD) technology used in most of the world and one supporting the time-division duplexing (TDD) used by China Mobile, the world's largest carrier. The report claims that Pegatron has received orders for the FDD version of the lower-cost iPhone, while Foxconn will be building the remaining three models.

The report claims that Apple is still weighing production volume for the new phones, working to estimate how much the lower-cost iPhone will cut into iPhone 5S sales and still gauging appropriate volumes for an expansion to China Mobile. Regardless, Apple does expect total iPhone shipments to be higher than last year's levels.

Yang's report conflicts with a report yesterday from Mac Otakara, which claimed that Apple's lower-cost iPhone is not likely to appear until 2014. It is, however, more in line with a roadmap outlined in January by KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who has a strong track record in predicting Apple's plans.

Just over a month ago, iLounge shared some details on Apple's lower-cost iPhone, noting that it appears something like a hybrid of the iPhone 5 and iPod touch, with rear edge curves reminiscent of the iPod classic. The report claimed that the device will be half a millimeter taller and wider and one millimeter thicker than the iPhone 5 in order to account for the thicker plastic casing.

Article Link: Analyst Says iPhone 5S and Cheaper iPhone Coming in August/September With China Mobile Support
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:45 AM   #2
Slackula
macrumors member

Do you think we will see the cheaper iPhone available for the pre-paid iPhione plans?
Slackula is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:45 AM   #3
DShap5
macrumors 6502a

Too many analysts.... they have already been sayin' this. :|
DShap5 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:46 AM   #4
locoboi187
macrumors 6502a

Hmm, will there be a bigger screen like it was rumored a while ago?
TV 3
locoboi187 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:46 AM   #5
MacBookPro13"
Banned

Send a message via MSN to MacBookPro13" Send a message via Skype™ to MacBookPro13"
I'm waiting for the 8th generation. My iPhone 5 should hold up nicely until then
MacBookPro13" is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:50 AM   #6
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816

Isn't this what we all expected, following the typical Apple release cycle?
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:51 AM   #7
definitive
macrumors 65816

same rumor, different day...
definitive is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:51 AM   #8
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by locoboi187 View Post
Hmm, will there be a bigger screen like it was rumored a while ago?
Then it wouldn't be a 5S, would it? Maybe Apple would in fact make the cheaper iPhone bigger. As it was mentioned, it can shut up all of those people crying that iPhones are expensive and small.
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:52 AM   #9
applesith
macrumors 68000

Buy on rumors!!! Sell on reality! again
applesith is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:53 AM   #10
pnoyblazed
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by adildacoolset View Post
Isn't this what we all expected, following the typical Apple release cycle?
yeah.................
pnoyblazed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:54 AM   #11
nfl46
macrumors 601

Sigh. The only fact we know is a new iPhone will be released in 2013! I think I need a check for being "Analyst of the Year".
nfl46 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:56 AM   #12
MagicWok
macrumors 6502a

I hear analysts say people at Apple are working on something that will be released sometime.
MagicWok is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:56 AM   #13
nepalisherpa
macrumors 65816

It does not matter, to me, what Apple comes out with this year because I cannot upgrade. I will be excited about rumors next year.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:58 AM   #14
RawBert
macrumors 68000

Anal list.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 11:02 AM   #15
Mike MA
macrumors 6502a

When did this "an analyst says..." crap came up actually?
Old Mar 1, 2013, 11:04 AM   #16
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

I believe the 5S will launch in june. I also believe that this rumor is leaked by apple so people would not hold off in buying the 5 now if the 5S come out in september.

And I also consider myself an expert in Apple related things, and I shall call myself an analyst.

Last edited by Tankmaze; Mar 1, 2013 at 11:13 AM.
Tankmaze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 11:10 AM   #17
Krazy Bill
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankmaze View Post
I believe the 5S will launch in june. I also believe that this rumor is leaked by apple so people would not hold off in buying the 5S now if its come out in september.
Close. The leak is meant to stop the hemorrhaging stock price. But at the moment, that doesn't appear to be working as it's still tanking.
Krazy Bill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 11:15 AM   #18
Luis Ortega
macrumors 6502a

The whole idea of a cheaper phone seems anathema to apple's image as a premium brand. They could get away with offering a size range, but a cheaper, crappier phone sounds like capitulation and would finally bury the influence of Steve Jobs and lead apple back to mediocrity.
Luis Ortega is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 11:16 AM   #19
Sky Blue

If we're getting a new phone in August, does that mean iOS7 would be out at the same time? Preview in March or WWDC?
Sky Blue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 11:19 AM   #20
pruppert
macrumors regular

"Analyst says . . ."

quit reading
pruppert is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 11:21 AM   #21
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slackula View Post
Do you think we will see the cheaper iPhone available for the pre-paid iPhione plans?
That's what it is allegedly why it is being released

I wish there was a three strikes rule with Apple fauxnnouncments. After three mistakes you are banned from very saying anything about what Apple is doing unless the source is Apple themselves. Including product discussion, sales numbers etc. sites, analysts etc
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 11:22 AM   #22
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

Apple really boxes themselves in (pun fully intended) with the shape of the iPhone.

It reminds me of the old DEVO song:

Quote:
Cube top, squared off
Eight corners, 90-degree angles
Flat top, stares straight ahead
Stock parts, blockhead
If Apple were to adopt a more sinuous shape that felt nicer in the hand, then variations and improvements to the form factor would be easy. But so long as they stick to the "squared-off, eight corners, 90-degree angle" aesthetic of the i4 and the i5, there's nowhere to go.
iGrip is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 11:23 AM   #23
nepalisherpa
macrumors 65816

Since we are all entitled to our opinions, I do think that a new phone will come out this summer instead of regular September/October release. The reason: Apple has already been criticized by many for keeping the OS "limited/boring/unchanged" and Samsung is coming out with S4 soon. Apple cannot afford to wait till September. Yes, they are doing well, but, in business world, they want to do better.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 11:24 AM   #24
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfl46 View Post
Sigh. The only fact we know is a new iPhone will be released in 2013! I think I need a check for being "Analyst of the Year".
Define 'new'. Some folks say its only new when they redesign it

Also we don't KNOW, regardless of design, that they are. It isn't fact until the announcement. Rather like how we knew the iPhone 4S would be in early summer just like the four before it. Until it wasn't
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 11:25 AM   #25
Sedrick
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
Apple really boxes themselves in (pun fully intended) with the shape of the iPhone.

If Apple were to adopt a more sinuous shape that felt nicer in the hand, then variations and improvements to the form factor would be easy. But so long as they stick to the "squared-off, eight corners, 90-degree angle" aesthetic of the i4 and the i5, there's nowhere to go.
I agree 100%. They can't keep the same flat/square/slab shape and go larger. It'd be terrible to hold and to pocket. The new HTC figured this out with a nice rounded back.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion