Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Hi guys,

my geforce 580 requires one 8 pin and 1 6 pin connector to run, however I only have the 8 pin because due to scenarios that were playing out at my home, I have lost the 6 pin.

I have just ordered a cable with a 6 pin on either end and would like to know if this would suffice?

Thank you : )

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
First of all, you must be sure that your power supply is modular to take any new cables. If it is not modular, then you will not be able to do anything. Although, by telling me that you "lost" the 6-pin cable, that means it is. Remember you can also use an adapter to turn an 8-pin into a 6-pin.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
I don't have an adaptor (and it is a modular) however for £5 I have purchased a 6pin to 6 pin.

The problem I have is that although my GPU is just missing a 6 pin, I am not sure if it requires an 8 pin on the other end to plug into my PSu, my PSU also has 6 pin sockets but above the sockets it says "sata and peripherals" and I am just not sure if it would cut it.

What do you personally think?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.