Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
I was recently travelling around some of the south pacific islands. While taking some photos of the beach with my iPhone, I made a huge mistake and leant down to pick something up from the water while holding my iPhone 4S so the 4S became submerged in the water, it was less than two seconds but the damage was done.

I immediatly dried and turned the device of. I was in a remote location (village I stumbled upon on the island of Espirito Santo) so rice was out of the question so I placed the device in the hot sun for an hour, it dried and I turned it back on and there has been no problem with functioning.

However today I took the sim tray out and not the is a lot of rust and corrosion on the inside of the device.

Does anyone know any ways to fix the issue? I know I could get an OOW replacement but I would much rather buy a new phone or have it repaired than pay the $249Australian.

Is there any estimation as to how long the phone will survive? Will the corrosion and rust eventually kill the phone (I assume it would)?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Does something not exposed to water constantly rust? Serious question.

mrwalsh1968

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2012
Because of the salt still present in device, it will never stop corroding until the salt is cleaned off, which is nigh on impossible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.