Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:00 PM   #1
nerd
macrumors member

Copying pre-installed Mountain Lion to old Mac

Hi,

I just bought a new mini with Mountain Lion installed. I have an old mini with Snow Leopard that I'd like to upgrade. Do I need to buy Mountain Lion from the App Store or can I somehow make an installation disk from my new system? I'm kind of confused about recovery disks and how all that works.

Thanks.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:02 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd View Post
Hi,

I just bought a new mini with Mountain Lion installed. I have an old mini with Snow Leopard that I'd like to upgrade. Do I need to buy Mountain Lion from the App Store or can I somehow make an installation disk from my new system? I'm kind of confused about recovery disks and how all that works.

Thanks.
Yes, you need to buy ML to upgrade your old Mac. The ML that comes preinstalled on a new Mac is licensed for that Mac only.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:54 PM   #3
rkaufmann87
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd View Post
Hi,

Thanks.
Yes you need to purchase a license ($20) just like the rest of us. Open the Mac App Store, login with your AppleID and then type in Mountain Lion in the search field and purchase the upgrade. If you have additional Macs you can then upgrade them (assuming they are on Mountain Lion or later) for no additional costs.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion