Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nerd

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2004
Hi,

I just bought a new mini with Mountain Lion installed. I have an old mini with Snow Leopard that I'd like to upgrade. Do I need to buy Mountain Lion from the App Store or can I somehow make an installation disk from my new system? I'm kind of confused about recovery disks and how all that works.

Thanks.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hi,

I just bought a new mini with Mountain Lion installed. I have an old mini with Snow Leopard that I'd like to upgrade. Do I need to buy Mountain Lion from the App Store or can I somehow make an installation disk from my new system? I'm kind of confused about recovery disks and how all that works.

Thanks.
Yes, you need to buy ML to upgrade your old Mac. The ML that comes preinstalled on a new Mac is licensed for that Mac only.

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
Hi,

Thanks.

Yes you need to purchase a license ($20) just like the rest of us. Open the Mac App Store, login with your AppleID and then type in Mountain Lion in the search field and purchase the upgrade. If you have additional Macs you can then upgrade them (assuming they are on Mountain Lion or later) for no additional costs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.