Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 2, 2010
I wonder if the bezel of the Mini is too thin to hold. Do you sometimes accidentally misuse the touch screen function when you hold it in portrait mode?

Why isn't there a variable in settings to change the outer region of the screen as inactive?

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Best answer: No!

Many other threads about the mini (and ipad 5?) bezel. When you hold your thumb over the screen, and use your other hand to move around the screen, your thumb is "ignored" so it works even with a thin bezel.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
Yes. I like my hand to rest somewhere comfortably without being on viewable space. Ipad 4 =perfect for me

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I find that touch rejection works when you put down your thumb firmly on the screen and don't move it. However, if you brush your thumb against the screen edge, the pages will flip. I can live with it, but I wouldn't say the touch rejection is perfect.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
There's already thumb rejection in iOS. From what I've seen, it works quite well.

And no - unless you're Kim Dotcom or Gabe Newell, your finger shouldn't spill onto the screen to the point of interfering with content consumption.

Beta Particle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
Yes, it’s too thin, and ended up breaking the keyboard on the full size iPads when they brought that thumb rejection over in iOS 6.01

My typing has been significantly slowed down since then, and I am constantly having to make corrections as it skips over lots of characters I type when it thinks I’ve just rested my hand on the device.

Prior to iOS 6.01 I was able to type at speeds not much slower than a physical keyboard. Now it feels like my typing speed has halved to below 50WPM. It has me considering iPad alternatives for the first time, it’s that bad.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Yes. The thin bezel is awful for my fat fingers, and I am hoping they do not ruin the iPad 5 with it. Still, I know a lot of people who are thrilled with the thin bezel, so I guess your mileage may vary.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
A lot of people like the thin bezels on Ipad mini.

I think it looks ugly and if they made it like that on Ipad 5 then Ipad 2 will be my last ipad.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I think the thin bezel is awesome, but I can see how it wouldn't work for some people. I already happen to hold my iPad with my thumb on the very edge of the device, so it doesn't interfere with the display on the mini.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Not it's not too thin. It's thin enough I can finally grip it around the back with one hand.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 2, 2010
very mixed opinions here. should have started a poll...

so guys keep your fingers under control :)

didn't realise there was a software change regarding this problem in 6.01. what is it exactly doing?

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I think the thin bezel is perfect. due to the thinness and lightness of the device I am able to comfortably hold it by the bottom right corner with my thumb. or just hold it in one hand on the back...... However I dont think the thin bezel will work on the full size iPad unless they are able to make it considerabley lighter and thinner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.