Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Newjackboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
I've had my iphone 5 16GB since early December 2012 (week 45 model)

Have always had a consistent battery life and my usage is very similar each day.

I always kept track of my battery life percentage - ie. battery was always around 65% by lunchtime, 40% when I left for home and approx 15-20% when I got home

Everyday it has been exactly the same within a few % points.

All of a sudden... Today - I was at 82% at lunchtime, 64% when I left for home and still 57% when I got home.

As I go to sleep now - my phone is on 35%

I know this sound strange, but too be honest something similar happened a few years back on my Blackberry 9000.
----------------
Any ideas? Has this happened to anyone else?

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Contrary to what some of the so-called "experts" say, namely that battery performance does not improve with use, I have found exactly the same as you - the reverse.

The other thing to consider is how the 'phone is used. For example, battery life will be a lot longer when listening to music compared to surfing the web.

That is why, in my opinion, the majority of threads where examples of battery life are posted are, without explanations of usage, to all intents totally useless.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
i dont know but now all the sudden i am able to pull 3 bars of wifi in my basement when literally just before 2 days ago it would constantly never pass 1-2 bars with slow speeds. now i get 3 bars of wifi with faster speeds somehow magically in my basement now. i dont really get it. i actually get a better connection around my house then i did 2 days ago and i have no idea how it happened but im not complaining :apple:

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
My battery life feels like it has dropped dramatically. what does this usage really mean?

image.png

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Hmmm...

Lots of factors:

Did you turn your screen brightness down?
Did you stop some apps running in the background?
There's app app called carat that can tell you about "battery hogs"
Did you get an app update that might be more efficient than the last version of that app on battery usage?
Did you shut bluetooth or wifi off?
Did you shut lte off?
Did you shut cellular mode off?

Tons of possibilities.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
Lots of factors:

Did you get an app update that might be more efficient than the last version of that app on battery usage?
Did you shut lte off?

Tons of possibilities.

why not just turn the entire phone off then? :rolleyes:

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
Lots of factors:

Did you shut lte off?

Tons of possibilities.

To whom are you asking?

Newjackboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
Lots of factors:

Did you shut lte off?

Tons of possibilities.

I did mention that my usage was identical.
(although I did update an app that morning. Sky Go in the UK - but could that make a difference if I never even opened the app all day? surely not?

furam90

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
I've had my iphone 5 16GB since early December 2012 (week 45 model)

Have always had a consistent battery life and my usage is very similar each day.

I always kept track of my battery life percentage - ie. battery was always around 65% by lunchtime, 40% when I left for home and approx 15-20% when I got home

Everyday it has been exactly the same within a few % points.

All of a sudden... Today - I was at 82% at lunchtime, 64% when I left for home and still 57% when I got home.

As I go to sleep now - my phone is on 35%

I know this sound strange, but too be honest something similar happened a few years back on my Blackberry 9000.
----------------
Any ideas? Has this happened to anyone else?

Are you in the Northeast? The temperature here starting on the 22nd-- it's ****ing cold!

Batteries tend to discharge slower when the phone/surroundings are colder, so that could be one overlooked reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.