Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Digger65

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2013
Hi just now replacing a MacBook A1278 2010 that suffered water damage with a similar set up but the replacement mac has mountain lion installed
I wish to reinstall from my Carbon Copy Cloner USB disk which has Snow Leopard
Just wondering if I should roll back the host to Snow leopard before attempting to reinstate my system or will mountain lion just handle it all?
Hope that made some sense to someone
jJ

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
It depends on the what the replacement Mac is. If it is new then you can't do any of what you just mentioned as they can't boot 10.6 at all. If it is another 2010 then you can image the internal HD with your CCC 10.6 as long as it is like beyond 10.6.3 or something. Again, it depends greatly on specifics. You may be able to use migration assistant and get your user stuff and apps from 10.6 over to 10.8 if indeed the replacement is of 2011-2012 make. Some apps will have to be updated to run but wont cause too much issue residing in the app folder while you go through the list and update.

Digger65

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2013
thanks that all makes sense
i guess better to get a 2010 machine and roll it back to Snow Leopard as i have the disk and then look at updating to mountain lion after that?
Anyone know if i can update straight from snow to mountain?
i did that from tiger to snow missing out leopard entirely and all was good
many thanks indeed
JJ

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
thanks that all makes sense
i guess better to get a 2010 machine and roll it back to Snow Leopard as i have the disk and then look at updating to mountain lion after that?
Anyone know if i can update straight from snow to mountain?
i did that from tiger to snow missing out leopard entirely and all was good
many thanks indeed
JJ

You could pick up a used 2007 iMac with SL which will run ML for $599 at Mac Of All Trades for the low end solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.