Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
I'm an apple fanboy love the products, my room is filled with apple stuff.
But I've been thinking for a while now, when the iPhone 4 and ipad was introduced I was happy, I'm sure there were tablets out there but nothing like the ipad, or a phone that didn't match the iPhone 4.
But after the 4S and ipad 2 came out I began to think what's happening with apple? Numbers speak for themselves, millions of idevices sold. But to me, in my opinion I feel like apple is just milking its products, the 4S had Siri and a dual core processor and also a bump in ram I believe but that's it?? iPhone 5, nice design but yet looks like an iPhone 4 but taller. No big changes, new processor,better ram... Seems like I have to skip a generation to see a change. Same goes for ipad 2,3,4 same design except the 3 and 4 are heavier and have a speaker grill on the bottom right. Yes retina display and all. It's also been a while since Ive said " my phone can do this, yours can't" I don't know if its just me or does anyone also feel like this?

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
In a way yes.

The iPhone was great when it came out. Now the so-called 'updates' are it being a bit longer. At least that's what they pushed on a commercial I saw.

The iPad mini, is a let down IMO. Completely underspeced and over priced. Yea it's selling well, but you know much of them are buying because of the name. Plain and simple.

Mac Pro hasn't seen an update in a loooong time. Same with the iPod Classic. Which is probably going to be discontinued. It's all about iOS now.

If Apple keep locking down their computers like they have been, I will either build a hackintosh or switch back to Windows. I refused to be locked in and not able to expand/upgrade. I realize it was always limited, in particular with the iMac, but it's getting crazy now. You HAVE to buy RAM from Apple now since they solder it in.

I used to be a fanboy, but ever since I ventured into other areas (Android, yea I said it to those who might get offended), I realize that there other and sometimes better (for me at least) options out there.

Time will tell to see how Tim Cook will lead Apple.

That or Apple is still the same and some are noticing the other options.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I'm an apple fanboy love the products, my room is filled with apple stuff.
But I've been thinking for a while now, when the iPhone 4 and ipad was introduced I was happy, I'm sure there were tablets out there but nothing like the ipad, or a phone that didn't match the iPhone 4.
But after the 4S and ipad 2 came out I began to think what's happening with apple? Numbers speak for themselves, millions of idevices sold. But to me, in my opinion I feel like apple is just milking its products, the 4S had Siri and a dual core processor and also a bump in ram I believe but that's it?? iPhone 5, nice design but yet looks like an iPhone 4 but taller. No big changes, new processor,better ram... Seems like I have to skip a generation to see a change. Same goes for ipad 2,3,4 same design except the 3 and 4 are heavier and have a speaker grill on the bottom right. Yes retina display and all. It's also been a while since Ive said " my phone can do this, yours can't" I don't know if its just me or does anyone also feel like this?

Nope

I don't expect drastic generational changes. A design for an iPhone or iPad should last two generations IMO.

The Retina MBP are awesome in design. Magic.

The iPhone 5 is an engineering marvel. Anyone can make an oversized phone. Few can make a slim phone that still delivers the goods.

I don't care about bragging about my phone. it now comes down to the artist to impress. Don't use the hardware as a crutch

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
In a way yes.

The iPhone was great when it came out. Now the so-called 'updates' are it being a bit longer. At least that's what they pushed on a commercial I saw.

The iPad mini, is a let down IMO. Completely underspeced and over priced. Yea it's selling well, but you know much of them are buying because of the name. Plain and simple.

Mac Pro hasn't seen an update in a loooong time. Same with the iPod Classic. Which is probably going to be discontinued. It's all about iOS now.

If Apple keep locking down their computers like they have been, I will either build a hackintosh or switch back to Windows. I refused to be locked in and not able to expand/upgrade. I realize it was always limited, in particular with the iMac, but it's getting crazy now. You HAVE to buy RAM from Apple now since they solder it in.

I used to be a fanboy, but ever since I ventured into other areas (Android, yea I said it to those who might get offended), I realize that there other and sometimes better (for me at least) options out there.

Time will tell to see how Tim Cook will lead Apple.

That or Apple is still the same and some are noticing the other options.

I have boot camp but if i were to choose definitely stay with Mac OS.
But this year for the first time I kinda switched, I got a GS3 and man on man, the tech is amazing. I really hate apples marketing, slap the apple logo in any product=sold out

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
I kind of feel that way... I was never even slightly interested in their iDevices. They have been using aluminum for nearly all of their products since 2008. The designs aren't really as unique as they were 7+ years ago.

The iPod Classic seems like it won't be getting any updates soon.

The iOS-ification of Mac OS X doesn't look that good IMO. The new iNanos are nice though :)!

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Nope

I don't expect drastic generational changes. A design for an iPhone or iPad should last two generations IMO.

The iPhone 5 is an engineering marvel. Anyone can make an oversized phone. Few can make a slim phone that still delivers the goods.

I don't care about bragging about my phone. it now comes down to the artist to impress. Don't use the hardware as a crutch

"Retina MacBook Pro are awesome in desing. Magic."
Huh? Looks like the 13 MacBook Pro just slimmer... With a retina display

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
They were never magic. They have incredibly on-point advertising, and the more you educate yourself about the products, the less effect that has on you.

Their products have tradeoffs and problems just like any other, they just do a better job at spinning them.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I gave tons of sperm to a sperm bank to pay for my first iPhone. I wouldn't do that for the iP5. So yes, magic is lost.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Nope

What "goods" does the iPhone 5 deliver? It's taller but still the same 4S.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
What "goods" does the iPhone 5 deliver? It's taller but still the same 4S.

LTE
Improved Camera
A6 SoC
Improved Screen quality
New front facing camera
Lightning Connector
4-Inch screen
New external case (lighter, thinner)

Yep its just a taller 4s. :rolleyes:

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
LTE
Improved Camera
A6 SoC
Improved Screen quality
New front facing camera
Lightning Connector
4-Inch screen
New external case (lighter, thinner)

Yep its just a taller 4s. :rolleyes:

Huh? Dude
LTE yes, a6 yes. Camera? No, same cam but uses sapphire cover to prevent scratches on lens. Lighting connector naw ill pay, if the speed improved yes, but same speed as 30 pin. Lighter,thinner. Yeah that's nice.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
Huh? Dude
LTE yes, a6 yes. Camera? No, same cam but uses sapphire cover to prevent scratches on lens. Lighting connector naw ill pay, if the speed improved yes, but same speed as 30 pin. Lighter,thinner. Yeah that's nice.

No the the camera has an improved lens (according to apple) not in megapixels but in colour saturation and so on.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
No the the camera has an improved lens (according to apple) not in megapixels but in colour saturation and so on.

Yes, having owned an iPhone 3GS, a 4S and now a 5, I can attest that the new camera in the iPhone 5 does have improved colour saturation, much easier to get some purple halos going around light sources than with the old lens/optic combo. ;)

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
Yes, having owned an iPhone 3GS, a 4S and now a 5, I can attest that the new camera in the iPhone 5 does have improved colour saturation, much easier to get some purple halos going around light sources than with the old lens/optic combo. ;)
:D apparently that is actually a sign of a good camera.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
I don't think its they've lost their "magic" on the current lineup, but they need something new and innovative. The phone especially I feel is starting to get stale. I have a 5 and I like it just fine, but most of the features they added have been available on other phones for a bit. The computer lineup while a bit more expensive than their counterparts are comparable and I don't mind paying extra for a premium brand. Will be interesting to see where they are at in 2 years.

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
Listen!

The Stock Market, is run by a bunch of pantie waists. This down turn, is a result of switching to new screens, NOT lack of demand,(don't believe it?) Wait until iPad 5 is released with the new screen,quad core chip,amazing graphics,then the weak kneed analysts will jump on the band wagon. You need to be in this for the long run. I bought 1000 shares at $68.89, sold in September at $704, since it didn't split, I sold. So now I wait, now it hit 500, bought 1000 shares, out of my profits, as well as a Class A Country Coach class A Motorhome!
I'll cash out when it reaches $1000, by the end of 2014, or later, you can't get daily results, and react, you simply can't. To get into Apple I sold enough do nothing GE stock to get me $70K,( back then I bought 1 and GE gave me two)
I still have tons left out of a 30 year career as a welder! I am going with, and sticking with Apple, it has made me a rich man,and after the pussys bail on Apple, I will be laughing all the way to the bank:cool: Now my friends, if you have the funds, no matter how small, bet on Apple, you Will be rewarded!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.